No announcement yet.

2012 PowWows.com Princess Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) I think that it is the duty of all indigenous peoples living within the North American continent to learn about other indigenous nations. The boundaries that separate us now are not of our own design but rather of the government's in the respective countries that we live in. From my studies as an American Indian Studies major at the University of South Dakota, I have seen that are ancestors were interconnected to another through trade, similarities in language, and cultures. As for myself, with my new position as the Tribal Historic Preservation Office Data Entry Clerk focusing specifically on NAGPRA, I will have many opportunities to work with indigenous people from other tribal nations. I plan on making the most of the experience. I also found out a couple years ago that I have some Dakota relatives living in Canada and I hope to one day be able to meet up with them in some manner to talk about family history!

2)If I were to pick two social issues that are most pressing to indigenous peoples, they would be the continuation of our languages and the recent events going across the United States now where tribes are dis-enrolling people. Growing up and hearing my elder say that "to know language is to know your culture" has meant a great deal to me. The logic of the statement speaks for itself. I could not imagine being at a ceremony and hear a Lakota prayer song that was not being sung in Lakota. The song would not hold the same meaning. As to the disturbing trend of dis-enrolling tribal members that has taken place in the United States is one that I find disturbing. Let's be honest such measures about about money and greed. I could never deny someone their identity. In the modern day, being able to say that you are tribally enroll seems like its the ultimate confirmation of a person's status. To me, the idea of dis-enrolling is comparable to what the United States and Canada tried doing by taking children from their homes and denying them the right to their culture through subversive and harmful assimilation. Except tribes are denying their people that culture and identity in one fell swoop. Such action also flies in the face of our kinship systems. Among my own people we have an adoption ceremony where the adoptee is recognized as a full member of the community regardless of racial identity or skin color. I would love to see tribes to come up with an culturally centered approach to defining our own citizenry.

3)Before indigenous nations can reach across the table to be partners with the respective non native governments in their country much has to change within our communities. I do not feel like I really need to explicate well known issues that we face within our own communities like drug and alcohol abuse, violence, nepotism, greed, etc. These issues are not going unnoticed or unattended. My own father works with a men's re-educated for those who have been involved in violent crimes. He uses modern clinical approaches to rehabilitating these men along with cultural teaching and ceremonies to help aid them. There are any number groups taking place within the reservations of my state. We have groups to address suicide, alcohol and drug use prevention, and groups that bring back cultural ceremonies like a coming of age for young ladies. I have no doubt that we can accomplish such a task! We have to make ourselves healthy and communities from within before we can begin to address the relationship and position with non native governments and peoples.

Thank you yaahl for your questions.
    Last edited by Zintkala Towa Win; 02-04-2012, 02:28 AM. Reason: Fixing some typos!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dhonixexn
      Princess contest is a nice contest. It’s my great pleasure to visit your forum and to enjoy your awesome posts here. I like that a lot. I know that you put much attention for these forums, as all of them make sense and are very useful.If you want to read good and informatics forums, then read this one because its information is understandable and effective. A large number of visitors come on this forum for getting rich information.
      Thanks for the compliment and for joining powwows.com

Comment

Sorry about the delay my internet has been acting crazy- here you go :D

Originally posted by yaahl View Post
        Questions for the contestants:

1. Do you feel that being the Pow Wow.com Princess has a role of learning about First Nation, Metis and Inuit peoples from both sides of the borders? If so, then how will you endeavour to learn about other nations and people?

Answer:Yes I feel that being the Powwows.com Princess has the role of learning about all the people- after all we as a forum have members online that cover every nation there is- we even have people who are not "Native" but regardless belong to the forum, everyone here comes from various backgrounds and races so we need to be educated to all the cultures of the world to be "useful" in promoting this website. I say that my goal will be to start doing research on all the nations of Native people- be in "Native Americans-First Nations-Metis- Inuits- we are all equal.

2. If you could pick two social issues to talk about that are facing our people what would those two issues be and why?
        Answer :-)
        If I had to pick only two mine would be education and being drug free. The first being education as I feel a great need for all of the people to get all they can. We can never go wrong with education, while I understand that many do not get the opportunity to further their education the ones of us who do should take full advantage of it and learn everything we can. Education is the key to starting the improvement of ourselves and once we improve ourselves then we can help our family, then our community, then our world. Whether it is getting your G.E.D. you degree or even a class in bead work and sewing take all opportunities to learn what you can and pass on the knowledge to others! If we as a whole are going to "compete" with other people we have to have the knowledge to get at least a "foot in the door". I also wish we had more grants and more ways of helping the people pay for their education- along with paying for their living expenses while getting a college or High-school education- I myself being in college can say even when you get a grant a lot of times it's still hard to make it for your actual food, housing,etc so I would push for this sort of thing if I had the opportunity to do so!
        Then the other speaking out about being drug free-I see so much of this in all people, drugs are one thing that for sure does not discriminate. I have seen them destroy lives(even push one of my good friends to suicide last yea), families(even my own cousins/aunts/uncles,etc)everyone. No one is immune to this it even hurts the young and old. I see no good coming out of illegal (and prescription drugs that are used for other things then needing them medically)drug. They cause death, poverty, mental problems, make people lose their futures, jobs, spouses, sure it may be a fast money method to most but then where does that money really go most times? I have said to several of my family members that are into these- why do you want to have someone else's blood on your hands to make money? Of course then they say- well it's their choice- right but is it the child's choice to get raised in it? So long "speech" short I'm anti-drug and for education if I had two platforms I could talk about!

3. How would you propose that we reset the relationship we should have with non-native peoples? How would you get them to see us as partners in our country's future?

AnswerWell one way I can say that would reset the relationship is the world wide web, just about everyone now gets on some sort of social network and it's connecting people all around the globe so sites like this one(Powwows.com) is a very good starting point!Also I think we need more people educating other peoples about ours! Like for instance I walk into Wal-Mart and even the baby dolls, there is African American, White, sometimes you will see an Asian or Hispanic, but do you really ever see a Native doll? If you do it's always Pocahontas or oh lets not forget about the "Cowboys and NDN's" toys where we know who is going to be the "bad" one- it is not right. Also I've had several people in my own community even say- don't go around those people they still do such and such, well yes that is ignorance or misinformation- but it's sadly still here. I think the youth would be the best place to start- teach them that we are not the bad guys! Also sometimes there will be several who won't listen but it's because they ears are full of nonsense already-try to reach out to those who will, As far as getting them to see us as partners in the future world I think that still goes back to education-let them see the people as whole doing good for their OWN community and then maybe it will lead to other things. It's sad that it's like Native people have to "prove" themselves to the outside peoples when really they should have proved themselves to ours. Hope this answers these questions :-) if anything else just ask! Thank you for the really good questions!!!!!

Thanks ladies.
        I don't doubt anything, but I question everything
        All I know is what I do not know and will never know all of what I do not know.

2012 Powwows.com Princess :D

Comment

We need some life in this thread lol..
          I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
            Jut bringing up the poll :)
            I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

I would like to ask the other girls who are running:

What is your opinion of "traditional" vs. "contest" powwows?

Comment

In Response to Rozlynn's Question

Originally posted by tonepahhoter1 View Post
                I would like to ask the other girls who are running:

What is your opinion of "traditional" vs. "contest" powwows?

I favor traditional pow wows more than I do contest pow wows. Let's be honest, contest pow wows are a popularity contest. It's a matter of who you know and who knows you. At contest pow wows if your regalia is not comtemporary and fully beaded, then a contestant might as well count themselves out. This is sad because not everyone can afford to have that and that alone shouldn't count them out as a worthy contestant. Contest pow wows aren't about being a good dancer. I remember as a kid that if a dancer missed the beat or lost a piece of regalia, etc, they would take themselves out of the contest. I don't see that happen very much anymore. Even with pow wow princess contests, when I was a kid you carried one title at a time. I have seen girls carrying multiple titles in the same year. My first year at Shakopee pow wow, I complimented a fellow fancy dancer on her beautiful regalia and she rolled her eyes at me and walked off without saying anything. Attitudes like that are off putting.

But that's just me...

I love traditional pow wows because you can get contest specials if that is what draws you to the pow wow. If there's a good song during intertribal you can join in the dance and not have to be in regalia. Its nice to know that every dancer can go home with a little something to help them get home. I enjoy getting to see the different honoring ceremonies too and supporting people within the community and acknowledging their achievements. Traditional pow wows are more laid back and its nice to be able to catch with friends whether its where they are seated at or during an intertribal song.

Comment

Good luck ladies! I remember running for princess and the amazing year I had representing this community - you are all representing yourselves well and we would be honoured to have either of you represent us for the next year.
                  ~*PowWows.com Princess 2006-2007*~

Comment

I have one question - what has been one challenge you have faced in your post secondary education based on your Native American heritage and how did you handle this?

I have been going through a difficult situation with a professor lately that has changed my perspective and like for the class. Was wondering if either of you had experienced something similar.
                    ~*PowWows.com Princess 2006-2007*~

Comment

Originally posted by **Summer_June** View Post
                      I have one question - what has been one challenge you have faced in your post secondary education based on your Native American heritage and how did you handle this?

I have been going through a difficult situation with a professor lately that has changed my perspective and like for the class. Was wondering if either of you had experienced something similar.
                      As a Native student, I have encountered several things throughout my educational career, from being bullied to being in verbal disputes. I had a professor who taught Sociology at my school. When we started to learn about First Nations people, I was excited. However, the professor ruined that for me. He would make snide remarks about Natives. One included that our people are always drunk. I raised my hand to ask him why he thought that. I proceeded to tell him that for some, that's all they know, but there are Natives who do "escape," we go to school and get higher education to help our nations. He then proceeded to ignore my remarks. So I went to talk to him during his office hours to ask why he didn't respond to anything I said. He didn't say anything. This happened a couple more times. When he ignored me and didn't say anything when I had asked him questions. B/c I didn't like the fact that he was treating me "different", I walked over to multicultural student services to get counseling. They arranged a meeting and we HAD to talk it out. I hope this helps.
                      Aho for the question

Comment

I have another question for the other girls who are running for powwows.com princess.

What do you think about Mary Spencer, an Ojibwe from Canada, boxing for the Summer Olympics in London, England? Do you think that she is a great influence on young Native women?

Comment

It's always hard to select someone you don't personally know. I'd like to know a few more details before I vote.

Being a former princess myself, I had a tremendous support from family and friends throughout my reign. Every weekend, i went to different pow wows. It didn't matter where.

Will you have this kind of support from your family and friends? Also, what is your family like? Were you raised into pow wow? Or if pow wows weren't the norm, then what kind of cultural activities you actively participated?

I may have some more questions, but this is all for now.

Good luck to all contestants.
                          Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Originally posted by ac_miss View Post
                            It's always hard to select someone you don't personally know. I'd like to know a few more details before I vote.

Being a former princess myself, I had a tremendous support from family and friends throughout my reign. Every weekend, i went to different pow wows. It didn't matter where.

Will you have this kind of support from your family and friends? Also, what is your family like? Were you raised into pow wow? Or if pow wows weren't the norm, then what kind of cultural activities you actively participated?

I may have some more questions, but this is all for now.

Good luck to all contestants.
                            I can count on my family and friends to give me the support I need and deserve in order for me to succeed at being powwows.com princess. No matter where I go or with who I go, my family and friends are the biggest support system, which everyone deserves to have.

I was a pow-wow kid. We went everywhere. From the most eastern coast to the most western, and of course, Canada. When I wasn't going to pow-wows growing up, we did educational presentations, from pre-school kids to college professors to senior citizen homes. It was growing up, rich in our family's sense of the word, that made me who I am today. I still go to pow-wows every weekend and do my educational presentations. I have danced in front of the U.N. & I have danced on Broadway. I love being able to go out and see my friends who I haven't seen all winter and talking to non-Native youth about where I come from.

Aho for the question

Comment

In response to Summer June's question

Originally posted by **Summer_June** View Post

Hello! I apologize for my delay in responding to questions posed by members of the site.

I personally have in the past had issues involving a professor and with people in general at the University of South Dakota. With my professor, I would in a roundabout way, call him out on his racist commentary concerning Native peoples. I didn't do this because I had any real notion that my professor's opinion of Native peoples would change. I did it because of the other non Native students in my class learn from professors. I believe the attitudes in which our professors present their material leaves an impression in which to deal with Native people.

I think that we as Native peoples have to engage and face potentially racist ideologies about our people. It is sad that you have to grin and bear it when it comes to ignorant and racist dialogue with mainstream society. From my experience, most of the mainstream society really has no idea about us and their information about us as Native people comes from "white" people and time whose racist attitudes reflect the general feeling of the society.

As a part of my experience at USD, the Native students have reached out to the community and hosted various events to educate people about the realities of Native peoples today. We realized that our culture has not been in a modern context. All we can do is offer the opportunity for people to be educated and hope that it sticks with those who choose to be there and participate in the cross cultural exchange.

Comment

In respone to Rozlynn question

Originally posted by tonepahhoter1 View Post
                                I have another question for the other girls who are running for powwows.com princess.

What do you think about Mary Spencer, an Ojibwe from Canada, boxing for the Summer Olympics in London, England? Do you think that she is a great influence on young Native women?

I do not know who she is or that she is a boxer headed to the Olympics. I do think that is awesome when a Native person gets to showcase such a talent on a world stage! I wish her the best of luck in the games!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.