Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 PowWows.com Princess Contest

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    In response to AC Miss's question

    Originally posted by ac_miss View Post
    It's always hard to select someone you don't personally know. I'd like to know a few more details before I vote.

    Being a former princess myself, I had a tremendous support from family and friends throughout my reign. Every weekend, i went to different pow wows. It didn't matter where.

    Will you have this kind of support from your family and friends? Also, what is your family like? Were you raised into pow wow? Or if pow wows weren't the norm, then what kind of cultural activities you actively participated?

    I may have some more questions, but this is all for now.

    Good luck to all contestants.

    I will have the support of my family and friends if I were chosen to be the powwows.com princess. I have a huge family and we would be here reading their description for FOREVER!! (LOL!!) I will explain a little bit about my grandma Deanna who has been amazing in teaching me about my culture. She is Crow from Crow Agency Montana and a direct descendant of Chief Pretty Eagle. My grandma was a single mother of four children during the sixties and received her masters in education. She is polite and gentle. I have never heard her swear or say a bad word about anyone. I have seen people getting into her face and she keeps calm and composed. I met her when I turned 12, when I was taken in by my dad Richard and my mom Laurie, and my Grandma taught me about dancing and regalia. I have been dancing at pow wows ever since!

    Comment


    • #47
      If I could throw a question or two out to these young women...

      1. As powwows.com Princess, what/how would you better relations between natives and NON-natives at powwows?
      2. As powwows.com Princess, what/how would you better relations between natives and NON-natives in everyday life in your community
      3. How has growing up native shaped you (for better or worse) to be a voice/representative for natives people and even non-native peoples? (Understanding that at powwows, we run into ALL sorts of peoples, in race, ethnicity, culture, etc, )

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by rezrazed View Post
        If I could throw a question or two out to these young women...

        1. As powwows.com Princess, what/how would you better relations between natives and NON-natives at powwows?
        2. As powwows.com Princess, what/how would you better relations between natives and NON-natives in everyday life in your community
        3. How has growing up native shaped you (for better or worse) to be a voice/representative for natives people and even non-native peoples? (Understanding that at powwows, we run into ALL sorts of peoples, in race, ethnicity, culture, etc, )

        1. I would talk to the general public and ask questions, such as, if they are having a good time or asking them to get involved.

        2. I would educate the general population on Natives and our lifestyle.

        3. It has helped me tremendously because I can voice 2 opinions on certain topics. A lot of people know that it is hard being from a different background and getting shot down b/c we know the real history of our peoples.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by rezrazed View Post
          If I could throw a question or two out to these young women...

          1. As powwows.com Princess, what/how would you better relations between natives and NON-natives at powwows?
          2. As powwows.com Princess, what/how would you better relations between natives and NON-natives in everyday life in your community
          3. How has growing up native shaped you (for better or worse) to be a voice/representative for natives people and even non-native peoples? (Understanding that at powwows, we run into ALL sorts of peoples, in race, ethnicity, culture, etc, )

          As a young educated Native woman I have made it one of my goals to help make healthy cross cultural connections between Native peoples and non Native peoples. I have done educational venues at Mankato (Mahkato) pow wow for the young children in the Mankato school district. In college, I have engaged people in healthy debate about the status of Native peoples and other potentially sensitive issues. I have presented on Native issues at different conferences at my own college and at other colleges. One thing that I have learned going to college is that what has happened to our people easily make me angry, I need to find a proactive and inclusive solution and interactions with the larger society. No matter what happens to me, whether I win this crown or not, I will always be an advocate for my people.

          Comment


          • #50
            Thank you ladies, both of you for your answers. [MENTION=82863]tonepahhoter1[/MENTION] would you please, in more detail, explain your answer to #3, more specifically, "I can voice 2 opinions on certain topics"? Thank you!

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Paul G View Post
              Bumping the link to the end of the thread.
              CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
              sigpic

              Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by tonepahhoter1 View Post
                I would like to ask the other girls who are running:

                What is your opinion of "traditional" vs. "contest" powwows?
                I want to send a huge apology for my delay in the answers of the questions on this forum! I have had life circumstances going on, however I believe now everything will be just fine. :-)

                My opinion of traditional vs. contest is that while contest is fun and sometimes rewarding(money wise) I have always favored the traditional powwows more so. Traditional I have met so many more people and in my experience has been more of a "family" event and surrounding. While the contest everyone seems more busy and focused on just winning the cash. So if I had to pick on I would say traditional :-)
                I don't doubt anything, but I question everything
                All I know is what I do not know and will never know all of what I do not know.


                2012 Powwows.com Princess :D

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by tonepahhoter1 View Post
                  I have another question for the other girls who are running for powwows.com princess.

                  What do you think about Mary Spencer, an Ojibwe from Canada, boxing for the Summer Olympics in London, England? Do you think that she is a great influence on young Native women?
                  I am new to the name as well, however I will say just hearing about it puts a positive influence on me- a female boxer and native that should speak loud and clear to most all of us :-)
                  I don't doubt anything, but I question everything
                  All I know is what I do not know and will never know all of what I do not know.


                  2012 Powwows.com Princess :D

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by ac_miss View Post
                    It's always hard to select someone you don't personally know. I'd like to know a few more details before I vote.

                    Being a former princess myself, I had a tremendous support from family and friends throughout my reign. Every weekend, i went to different pow wows. It didn't matter where.

                    Will you have this kind of support from your family and friends? Also, what is your family like? Were you raised into pow wow? Or if pow wows weren't the norm, then what kind of cultural activities you actively participated?

                    I may have some more questions, but this is all for now.

                    Good luck to all contestants.

                    Hello, yes I have a good support group from family and friends, I may not have the largest amount since I was raised away from most native people being in TN, but I am very blessed to have many people who cares, and even more that I now consider family thanks to me being Powwows.com Ambassador last yea. No I was not raised into the powwows like most were, I have been active in the local powwows and would always dance the intertribals since I could barely walk, I was always so excited to know when a Powwow was coming close and my parents said I would BEG to go..I have also been active in social dancing(i.e. Choctaw social dances)I love them as well! Thank you for the questions :-)
                    I don't doubt anything, but I question everything
                    All I know is what I do not know and will never know all of what I do not know.


                    2012 Powwows.com Princess :D

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by rezrazed View Post
                      If I could throw a question or two out to these young women...

                      1. As powwows.com Princess, what/how would you better relations between natives and NON-natives at powwows?
                      2. As powwows.com Princess, what/how would you better relations between natives and NON-natives in everyday life in your community
                      3. How has growing up native shaped you (for better or worse) to be a voice/representative for natives people and even non-native peoples? (Understanding that at powwows, we run into ALL sorts of peoples, in race, ethnicity, culture, etc, )
                      1. As Powwows.com Princess I would try to better relations in anyway I could. For example, I go back to my last year in one of my Early Childhood classes where we were discussing Thanksgiving and they were making rude commits about Natives such as we all go HOW for hello,etc well I corrected them.. of course with my skin and hair color they were all asking how I knew, so I just gave them Powwows.com link and that set most of them straight except the ones who really wanted to be rude and as we know some people you can't change. So if I become Powwows.com Princess I hope to get out to more events and try to promote the Native people as equals not lesser and for sure we don't say HOW! I seen a shirt one time- We don't say How- we just ask why?
                      2. While my community does not have many Native Americans we do have a small group of Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians as well as their children, and we also have a few Cherokee, Chickasaw and one family of Kiowa here, then when you travel towards Memphis there are people of several nations, but in my community alone we have a small population, however as Powwows.com Princess I am hoping(we have an unusual school system and just a small close minded town), maybe I can help organize a program, etc. I do know we have several parades and my parents already said they wanted me in it for Powwows.com Ambassador but the people running it said I have to be a Miss something(like a Princess of a beauty pageant but I know this title is SO MUCH MORE) to go into them, so I am hoping to promote the site and people in those ways!
                      3. Well I can't really say I grew up Native. I wasn't brought up with the old ways of the Native people and since I am in TN so much is fake or just people wanting to make money out of the so called "ways" of the people. I was brought up just southern country girl(with a little urban flair!!haha no way do I listen to country music and go to redneck events- no offense to anyone who does but it just isn't me). So I am fairly new to everything- I enjoy powwows,and have been lucky to come in contact with some people in which I have leaned a lot from, however I know since I'm the "outsider" looking in I will never know as much as could have been had I been raised Native, but the way I see it I can take what I got and teach it to my children when I have them, and build from there. I have also went to many cultural events growing up, including one of my classes for college which was a survey of World Religions where I learned about the many different ways we see the "God-figure" in this world. While it did not change my opinions to my own faith and beliefs it opened my eyes that we are not as different as others want to make us believe- instead of fighting against each other we should be fighting for each other. I loved my trip to the Hindu temple and the Jewish synagogue- also I have participated in several cultural events where people from all over have come, there was food, dance and even crafts. I love learning about all cultures, and while we need to fight to maintain our own culture it never hurts to look inside of others in hopes of more understanding! :-)
                      I don't doubt anything, but I question everything
                      All I know is what I do not know and will never know all of what I do not know.


                      2012 Powwows.com Princess :D

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by **Summer_June** View Post
                        I have one question - what has been one challenge you have faced in your post secondary education based on your Native American heritage and how did you handle this?

                        I have been going through a difficult situation with a professor lately that has changed my perspective and like for the class. Was wondering if either of you had experienced something similar.
                        Hey there, thanks for the question, I don't think I answered this one and I am sorry :-/

                        Well I will never forget this one professor thought I should have an NDN name because "Barnes" didn't sound like an NDN name to her. She was African American and she kept saying how I didn't look NDN or I didn't have the name.. all throughout her class, she even made racial slurs towards the Native people..I think it is so sad that educators are so uneducated!!! If you want to do the job of education you should learn about all people and be equal towards all people, we are all the same and the T.V. sterotypes need to go, if that is all they are learning from about the Native peoples then they should go back to school- in my opinion! Thanks for the question.
                        I don't doubt anything, but I question everything
                        All I know is what I do not know and will never know all of what I do not know.


                        2012 Powwows.com Princess :D

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by rezrazed View Post
                          Thank you ladies, both of you for your answers. [MENTION=82863]tonepahhoter1[/MENTION] would you please, in more detail, explain your answer to #3, more specifically, "I can voice 2 opinions on certain topics"? Thank you!
                          Being a Native woman, I have to voice 2 opinions. What I mean by that statement, is I have always had to say what people WANT to hear and what they NEED to hear. I have been in a white school system my entire life. Our people didnt have the feminist movement. In my history classes when we learned about, the white teacher asked my opinion about it. I gave 2. That it's a good thing. That's what they WANTED to hear. I went on with what they NEEDED to hear. I said that Native women didn't have that. We get the same respect as a Native man. That it is run by women who want to be men. I hope this clarifys it for you.
                          Aho

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by sbarnes88 View Post
                            1. As Powwows.com Princess I would try to better relations in anyway I could. For example, I go back to my last year in one of my Early Childhood classes where we were discussing Thanksgiving and they were making rude commits about Natives such as we all go HOW for hello,etc well I corrected them.. of course with my skin and hair color they were all asking how I knew, so I just gave them Powwows.com link and that set most of them straight except the ones who really wanted to be rude and as we know some people you can't change. So if I become Powwows.com Princess I hope to get out to more events and try to promote the Native people as equals not lesser and for sure we don't say HOW! I seen a shirt one time- We don't say How- we just ask why?
                            2. While my community does not have many Native Americans we do have a small group of Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians as well as their children, and we also have a few Cherokee, Chickasaw and one family of Kiowa here, then when you travel towards Memphis there are people of several nations, but in my community alone we have a small population, however as Powwows.com Princess I am hoping(we have an unusual school system and just a small close minded town), maybe I can help organize a program, etc. I do know we have several parades and my parents already said they wanted me in it for Powwows.com Ambassador but the people running it said I have to be a Miss something(like a Princess of a beauty pageant but I know this title is SO MUCH MORE) to go into them, so I am hoping to promote the site and people in those ways!
                            3. Well I can't really say I grew up Native. I wasn't brought up with the old ways of the Native people and since I am in TN so much is fake or just people wanting to make money out of the so called "ways" of the people. I was brought up just southern country girl(with a little urban flair!!haha no way do I listen to country music and go to redneck events- no offense to anyone who does but it just isn't me). So I am fairly new to everything- I enjoy powwows,and have been lucky to come in contact with some people in which I have leaned a lot from, however I know since I'm the "outsider" looking in I will never know as much as could have been had I been raised Native, but the way I see it I can take what I got and teach it to my children when I have them, and build from there. I have also went to many cultural events growing up, including one of my classes for college which was a survey of World Religions where I learned about the many different ways we see the "God-figure" in this world. While it did not change my opinions to my own faith and beliefs it opened my eyes that we are not as different as others want to make us believe- instead of fighting against each other we should be fighting for each other. I loved my trip to the Hindu temple and the Jewish synagogue- also I have participated in several cultural events where people from all over have come, there was food, dance and even crafts. I love learning about all cultures, and while we need to fight to maintain our own culture it never hurts to look inside of others in hopes of more understanding! :-)
                            sbarnes, thank you very much, very well spoken. My apologies, I guess I didn't think about you not growing pu native, but I'd assume you have had the crash course at some point eh? lol. Very good answer on #3.

                            Originally posted by tonepahhoter1 View Post
                            Being a Native woman, I have to voice 2 opinions. What I mean by that statement, is I have always had to say what people WANT to hear and what they NEED to hear. I have been in a white school system my entire life. Our people didnt have the feminist movement. In my history classes when we learned about, the white teacher asked my opinion about it. I gave 2. That it's a good thing. That's what they WANTED to hear. I went on with what they NEEDED to hear. I said that Native women didn't have that. We get the same respect as a Native man. That it is run by women who want to be men. I hope this clarifys it for you.
                            Aho
                            Thank you tonepannoter1, you did very much clarify for me. Thank you again.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by rezrazed View Post
                              sbarnes, thank you very much, very well spoken. My apologies, I guess I didn't think about you not growing pu native, but I'd assume you have had the crash course at some point eh? lol. Very good answer on #3.



                              Thank you tonepannoter1, you did very much clarify for me. Thank you again.


                              Thank you so much! No apology needed or asked for, after all I thought that was a very good question, and I gave my honest answer :-)
                              I don't doubt anything, but I question everything
                              All I know is what I do not know and will never know all of what I do not know.


                              2012 Powwows.com Princess :D

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                oops")
                                I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

                                Comment

                                Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                                Related Topics

                                Collapse

                                • Paul G
                                  2010 PowWows.com Princess Contest
                                  by Paul G
                                  Submissions are now open for nominations in the 2010 PowWows.com Princess.

                                  The role of the PowWows.com Princess is to represent the site at Pow Wows. In addition, the Princess is expected to be an online ambassador for the website by participating in the forums, welcoming new members...
                                  11-16-2009, 03:37 PM
                                • Paul G
                                  2011 PowWows.com Princess Contest
                                  by Paul G
                                  Submissions are now open for nominations in the 2011 PowWows.com Princess.

                                  The role of the PowWows.com Princess is to represent the site at Pow Wows. In addition, the Princess is expected to be an online ambassador for the website by participating in the forums, welcoming new members to...
                                  11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
                                • Paul G
                                  2009 PowWows.com Princess Nomination - walelaGA
                                  by Paul G
                                  walelaGA is running for PowWows.com Princess.

                                  Please post any questions or comments you have for her in this thread.

                                  Voting for the Princess Contest will begin January 1, 2009.

                                  To read more about the contest, please visit:
                                  http://www.powwows.com/g...
                                  12-01-2008, 10:31 AM
                                • Paul G
                                  2004 PowWows.com Princess Contest
                                  by Paul G
                                  The four finalists are:

                                  Jaimie Allyson Skeeter
                                  AmberDawn Dennin
                                  Shannon Lynn George
                                  Julie Elizabeth Ray

                                  Below are thier profiles. Please read and vote for who you think would make the best Princess.

                                  Thanks and good luck to the four...
                                  AmberDawn Dennin
                                  35.80%
                                  126
                                  Shannon Lynn George
                                  34.66%
                                  122
                                  Julie Elizabeth Ray
                                  17.61%
                                  62
                                  Jaimie Allyson Skeeter
                                  11.93%
                                  42
                                  02-12-2004, 11:11 AM
                                • Paul G
                                  2007 PowWows.com Princess Contest Run-Off
                                  by Paul G
                                  The role of the PowWows.com Princess is to represent the site at Pow Wows. In addition, the Princess is expected to be an online ambassador for the website by participating in the forums, welcoming new members to the site, taking part in discussions, etc. The Princess will also be expected to post reports...
                                  eap7
                                  57.87%
                                  103
                                  MayChe
                                  42.13%
                                  75
                                  02-05-2007, 10:56 PM

                                Trending

                                Collapse

                                There are no results that meet this criteria.

                                Sidebar Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X