Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
    Another bump :)
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sbarnes88 View Post
      Hey there, thanks for the question, I don't think I answered this one and I am sorry :-/

Well I will never forget this one professor thought I should have an NDN name because "Barnes" didn't sound like an NDN name to her. She was African American and she kept saying how I didn't look NDN or I didn't have the name.. all throughout her class, she even made racial slurs towards the Native people..I think it is so sad that educators are so uneducated!!! If you want to do the job of education you should learn about all people and be equal towards all people, we are all the same and the T.V. sterotypes need to go, if that is all they are learning from about the Native peoples then they should go back to school- in my opinion! Thanks for the question.

I agree that there are so many uneducator educators out there! Great reply - Thanks :)
      ~*PowWows.com Princess 2006-2007*~

Comment

Originally posted by Zintkala Towa Win View Post
        Hello! I apologize for my delay in responding to questions posed by members of the site.

I personally have in the past had issues involving a professor and with people in general at the University of South Dakota. With my professor, I would in a roundabout way, call him out on his racist commentary concerning Native peoples. I didn't do this because I had any real notion that my professor's opinion of Native peoples would change. I did it because of the other non Native students in my class learn from professors. I believe the attitudes in which our professors present their material leaves an impression in which to deal with Native people.

I think that we as Native peoples have to engage and face potentially racist ideologies about our people. It is sad that you have to grin and bear it when it comes to ignorant and racist dialogue with mainstream society. From my experience, most of the mainstream society really has no idea about us and their information about us as Native people comes from "white" people and time whose racist attitudes reflect the general feeling of the society.

As a part of my experience at USD, the Native students have reached out to the community and hosted various events to educate people about the realities of Native peoples today. We realized that our culture has not been in a modern context. All we can do is offer the opportunity for people to be educated and hope that it sticks with those who choose to be there and participate in the cross cultural exchange.
        Great reply - and some great comments on how to change this! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tonepahhoter1 View Post
          As a Native student, I have encountered several things throughout my educational career, from being bullied to being in verbal disputes. I had a professor who taught Sociology at my school. When we started to learn about First Nations people, I was excited. However, the professor ruined that for me. He would make snide remarks about Natives. One included that our people are always drunk. I raised my hand to ask him why he thought that. I proceeded to tell him that for some, that's all they know, but there are Natives who do "escape," we go to school and get higher education to help our nations. He then proceeded to ignore my remarks. So I went to talk to him during his office hours to ask why he didn't respond to anything I said. He didn't say anything. This happened a couple more times. When he ignored me and didn't say anything when I had asked him questions. B/c I didn't like the fact that he was treating me "different", I walked over to multicultural student services to get counseling. They arranged a meeting and we HAD to talk it out. I hope this helps.
          Aho for the question
          This seems to be a common thing in education as all three of you had experienced it along with myself. Great reply thanks!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.