Moral Theology and the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reincarnation Rabbit Trail...

The thought had occured to me, but it wasn't where I was originally headed... however, there are many Religions that teach reincarnation as part of the spiritual journey so it's a valid point of consideration... it's gonna scramble our brains to take it to the full extent of that whole "body/shell" value thing, but what the hey, this is a discussion after all... let's see where it goes....

CALLING ALL EXPERTS (or novices!) ON REINCARNATION!!!

:dontknow:

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler???? :?????:

Comment

Rules Of Engagement

:NoNo :tongue11: or :8:, ok?????

I'm all for a good debate, but wunna make sure we do it w/
      :35:, :Heart, & :rocking:... R we :Cooler???

Comment

Let's back up...

And talk about which "christian perspective" angles were dealing from...

my POV is from a very liberal Christian perspective - my beliefs do not require every word of the bible to be interpreted literally/factually (for example: Joshua 10:13 - And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. - since the *earth* moves around the sun, not the other way around, how could we interpret this literally? And if *everything* can't be interpreted literally, who gets to decide what is to be considered literal, and what is not? :wall: Relativism). My beliefs do not assume that the bible is the only source of Divine revelation (I mean, how many authors did it take to write out all of those texts? And how many times did they decide what was "in" and what was "out" when they condensed the sacred writings into one book? And what about the Dead Sea Scrolls? The Koran? The Talmud? etc? People from those faiths all claim to worship the same God... why would I assume then that the Bible is the only "right" one?:wall: Relativism). Last, my beliefs do not assert that my beliefs are correct for everyone... only correct for me and where I am at in my understanding today ( 1 Corinthians 13:11 - When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - what I understood about the world at 4 is very different that what I understood at 20, which will again be very different from what I understand when I'm 50. :wall: Relativism).

IMO Jesus came to teach us to do away with Religion and get into Relationship with the Father... and that means it's personal experience, not a collective establishment, that defines the barometer of morality.

Basically, long story short ( hooooo it is WAY too late for that) - unless we agree that there is no way to have a discussion w/o bringing relativism into the picture, we're going to keep doing this...
        Attached Files

Comment

Amen, Hallelujah and

Originally posted by superndngyrl
          yea this thread was simply created so Taushina could express her views on abortion according to her fascist christianity beliefs and her ability to cut and paste from dictionary.com. ;) ... so um... i think that should have been a warning at the beginning of her thread.
          pass the collection plate. :flaming:

Comment

smarty pants

Hey Taushina, that's some interesting stuff :23:

Comment

Originally posted by proverbs31girl
              Hey Taushina, that's some interesting stuff :23:
              Hey! What a cute baby on your avatar! *lol*
              People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
              BLAISE PASCAL

Comment

Originally posted by Sophie
                And talk about which "christian perspective" angles were dealing from...

my POV is from a very liberal Christian perspective - my beliefs do not require every word of the bible to be interpreted literally/factually (for example: Joshua 10:13 - And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. - since the *earth* moves around the sun, not the other way around, how could we interpret this literally? And if *everything* can't be interpreted literally, who gets to decide what is to be considered literal, and what is not? :wall: Relativism). My beliefs do not assume that the bible is the only source of Divine revelation (I mean, how many authors did it take to write out all of those texts? And how many times did they decide what was "in" and what was "out" when they condensed the sacred writings into one book? And what about the Dead Sea Scrolls? The Koran? The Talmud? etc? People from those faiths all claim to worship the same God... why would I assume then that the Bible is the only "right" one?:wall: Relativism). Last, my beliefs do not assert that my beliefs are correct for everyone... only correct for me and where I am at in my understanding today ( 1 Corinthians 13:11 - When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - what I understood about the world at 4 is very different that what I understood at 20, which will again be very different from what I understand when I'm 50. :wall: Relativism).

IMO Jesus came to teach us to do away with Religion and get into Relationship with the Father... and that means it's personal experience, not a collective establishment, that defines the barometer of morality.

Basically, long story short ( hooooo it is WAY too late for that) - unless we agree that there is no way to have a discussion w/o bringing relativism into the picture, we're going to keep doing this...
                When I go home tonight I'll print out what you have written in here and attempt to break it up that way I can address it properly!

Forgive me for not responding sooner, I'm still catching up on sleep from my Memorial day weekend. :flowers:
                People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
                BLAISE PASCAL

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.