X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taushina
    replied
    Originally posted by Sophie
    And talk about which "christian perspective" angles were dealing from...

my POV is from a very liberal Christian perspective - my beliefs do not require every word of the bible to be interpreted literally/factually (for example: Joshua 10:13 - And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. - since the *earth* moves around the sun, not the other way around, how could we interpret this literally? And if *everything* can't be interpreted literally, who gets to decide what is to be considered literal, and what is not? :wall: Relativism). My beliefs do not assume that the bible is the only source of Divine revelation (I mean, how many authors did it take to write out all of those texts? And how many times did they decide what was "in" and what was "out" when they condensed the sacred writings into one book? And what about the Dead Sea Scrolls? The Koran? The Talmud? etc? People from those faiths all claim to worship the same God... why would I assume then that the Bible is the only "right" one?:wall: Relativism). Last, my beliefs do not assert that my beliefs are correct for everyone... only correct for me and where I am at in my understanding today ( 1 Corinthians 13:11 - When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - what I understood about the world at 4 is very different that what I understood at 20, which will again be very different from what I understand when I'm 50. :wall: Relativism).

IMO Jesus came to teach us to do away with Religion and get into Relationship with the Father... and that means it's personal experience, not a collective establishment, that defines the barometer of morality.

Basically, long story short ( hooooo it is WAY too late for that) - unless we agree that there is no way to have a discussion w/o bringing relativism into the picture, we're going to keep doing this...
    When I go home tonight I'll print out what you have written in here and attempt to break it up that way I can address it properly!

Forgive me for not responding sooner, I'm still catching up on sleep from my Memorial day weekend. :flowers:

Leave a comment:

• Taushina
    replied
    Originally posted by proverbs31girl
    Hey Taushina, that's some interesting stuff :23:
    Hey! What a cute baby on your avatar! *lol*

Leave a comment:

• proverbs31girl
    replied
    smarty pants

Hey Taushina, that's some interesting stuff :23:

Leave a comment:

• Soohkiisimsstaan
    replied
    Amen, Hallelujah and

Originally posted by superndngyrl
    yea this thread was simply created so Taushina could express her views on abortion according to her fascist christianity beliefs and her ability to cut and paste from dictionary.com. ;) ... so um... i think that should have been a warning at the beginning of her thread.
    pass the collection plate. :flaming:

Leave a comment:

• Sophie
    replied
    Let's back up...

And talk about which "christian perspective" angles were dealing from...

my POV is from a very liberal Christian perspective - my beliefs do not require every word of the bible to be interpreted literally/factually (for example: Joshua 10:13 - And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. - since the *earth* moves around the sun, not the other way around, how could we interpret this literally? And if *everything* can't be interpreted literally, who gets to decide what is to be considered literal, and what is not? :wall: Relativism). My beliefs do not assume that the bible is the only source of Divine revelation (I mean, how many authors did it take to write out all of those texts? And how many times did they decide what was "in" and what was "out" when they condensed the sacred writings into one book? And what about the Dead Sea Scrolls? The Koran? The Talmud? etc? People from those faiths all claim to worship the same God... why would I assume then that the Bible is the only "right" one?:wall: Relativism). Last, my beliefs do not assert that my beliefs are correct for everyone... only correct for me and where I am at in my understanding today ( 1 Corinthians 13:11 - When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - what I understood about the world at 4 is very different that what I understood at 20, which will again be very different from what I understand when I'm 50. :wall: Relativism).

IMO Jesus came to teach us to do away with Religion and get into Relationship with the Father... and that means it's personal experience, not a collective establishment, that defines the barometer of morality.

Basically, long story short ( hooooo it is WAY too late for that) - unless we agree that there is no way to have a discussion w/o bringing relativism into the picture, we're going to keep doing this...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sophie
    replied
    Rules Of Engagement

:NoNo :tongue11: or :8:, ok?????

I'm all for a good debate, but wunna make sure we do it w/
    :35:, :Heart, & :rocking:... R we :Cooler???

Leave a comment:

• Sophie
    replied
    Reincarnation Rabbit Trail...

The thought had occured to me, but it wasn't where I was originally headed... however, there are many Religions that teach reincarnation as part of the spiritual journey so it's a valid point of consideration... it's gonna scramble our brains to take it to the full extent of that whole "body/shell" value thing, but what the hey, this is a discussion after all... let's see where it goes....

CALLING ALL EXPERTS (or novices!) ON REINCARNATION!!!

:dontknow:

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler???? :?????:

Leave a comment:

• Sophie
    replied
    Originally posted by Taushina
    1. Spirit = life
    2. Life comes from a creator
    3. Spirit cannot be destroyed

For the sake of argument. Does the spirit begin at conception or are there pre-existing spirits in this debate?

If there are pre-existing spirits, then I'll just go ahead and finish building this straw man.

4. Our bodies are temporary shells for our for our eternal spirits.

If these first four premises are true then abortion is not taking a "life" because that life (spirit) will eventually be "birthed" into a new body/shell. So our bodies/shells have no real intrinsic value. If this was a majority understanding there wouldn't be laws against murder (outside of the womb), rape, child molestation, sexual abuse and other things that may harm the body/shell.

Everyone would say/think "Hopefully they'll have better luck in their next body/shell!"

Is that an absurd conclusion?

(Sophie--I wasn't assuming that you were going down that road. I'm just trying to knock out rabbit trails.)
    My original thought was going from the spirit at conception level and that on the spirit's level, abortion would be similar to miscarriage - the spirit just never made it all the way into the world. One of my very best friends from childhood had 3 miscarriages before bringing a pregnancy to term... the way she ended up thinkin' about it was that her babies are up in heaven and someday she'll get the chance to see them.

Leave a comment:

• Sophie
    replied
    Originally posted by CandaePrincess
    That's a terrible definition of moral.

Just saying that you could find a way better definition. Sounds like someone's own definition of moral who is trying to explain it but doesn't live it.....ya know what I mean???
    :clap: Yep, the definition *is* terrible. Besides, even if they *do* live it, who's to say that there's a consistent definition of what's good/bad, right/wrong for everybody?

:wall: Relativism
    Last edited by Sophie; 05-28-2004, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sophie
    replied
    Originally posted by Singing Eagle
    I don't think she meant re-incarnation.......
    :Thumbs

Leave a comment:

• Taushina
    replied
    Originally posted by wannabeUrNo1Snag
    lol ohkays!! i'mma email u today!! i misshed u too'z!!
    Okie dokie, I'll be EAGERLY awaiting your e-mail. *lol* :39:

Leave a comment:

• wannabeUrNo1Snag
    replied
    Originally posted by Taushina
    OMG JENN!! I MISSED you so much! HOw have you been? I don't have AOL anymore. My new e-mail is [email protected] HIT ME UP GIRL! You have made my day! GUESS WHAT? I'm going to BUffalo, NY next summer for the NAIG! Will you be there? Are you still in NY? I have so much to say! AND THis is way OFF TOPIC. I've missed you! E-mail me okay? Whats your #? I can call you up! I'm so excited! I'm gonna cry...

lol ohkays!! i'mma email u today!! i misshed u too'z!!

Leave a comment:

• Taushina
    replied
    Two very mature, intelligent and lovely Native women! :) Thank you for gracing me with your presence! I am truly honored! (Not being sarcastic either, I mean it) You two are both very intelligent and beautiful! Well I assume beautiful, since you are both Native. :) I enjoy your comments.

Leave a comment:

• Singing Eagle
    replied
    Originally posted by superndngyrl
    yea this thread was simply created so Taushina could express her views on abortion according to her fascist christianity beliefs and her ability to cut and paste from dictionary.com. ;) ... so um... i think that should have been a warning at the beginning of her thread.
    thanks super - let's get outta here before they start up again - k? I'll buy you a coffee at Red's......

Leave a comment:

• superndngyrl
    replied

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.