Pet Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Loss

I just got back from the Veterinarian. My 18 year old cat quit eating four days ago, was real lethargic, hanging his head and obviously not well. Ty was a black persian with copper eyes. He was an indoor cat trained to walk on a leash. I got him back in 1986. Little did I know that he would be with me for so long. He was a real sweetie; definitely a momma's boy. He outlasted my marriage, kept me company through several separations before I divorced and helped me through some dicey stuff. He moved with me and/or my ex at least eight times including moving to Oregon and then moving back to California. He went on vacations with us, traveling in the car like a trooper, sitting on the center console enjoying the air conditioning. He would sit on the bed and wake me in the morning so I didn't need an alarm clock; he curled up next to me at night. He knew when I was sad and would crawl into my lap or up on my shoulder to comfort me. If he couldn't find me he'd walk through the house 'calling'. His last year we figured out he was totally deaf; so he couldn't hear me when I'd answer his calling with an "I'm in here". I'd have to go find him and 'show him' where I was. I remember the first time I was separated from my ex. Ty got used to 'sharing' the bed with me. He'd stretch out on the other side of the bed and snooze. When my ex and I got back together; that first night when we headed off for bed, Ty raced us to the bedroom, jumped up on the bed and sat directly in the middle and glared at my husband. No way was he 'sharing' Mom. He did though. But he would do the same thing with the couch. When I'd sit to watch TV he would run to the sofa and before my husband could sit down next to me Ty would take HIS place next to me and give my husband that LOOK. God bless him. I'm going to miss him. Thank you for listening to me. I needed to share what he meant to me.
    Attached Files
    "The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota

Awww hon I hear ya! It's as hard to lose a pet as it is to lose a human family member sometimes. They give you a love and companionship that unconditional and wonderful and are always there when you need them even when it's your fault. I felt this way recently. A week and a half after my grandmother died I lost my oldest guinea pig. Seems silly to cry over a rodent but she was a sweety and they got definite personalities, and I miss hers.

I have to ask though.. did Ty have a white stripe down his back like a skunk or is that just a play of the camera? If he did, that's too cute!
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

It's hard to lose a pet you've had for several years, I know. You always remember all the good times, the little things, the funny things they did. I'm sure you have supportive friends who know how you feel when you need to talk.
      nightrider

:e11: Thanks for noticing me!

Live Long and Prosper! :43:

Comment

We have an older pet now; I feel your pain and suffering, it's so hard to decide what to do with a pet that is part of your family. Be assured that you gave your cat 18 good years.

Comment

Thank you, friends. I woke up about half hour ago--1:30 a.m. and had to get up. All I could think of was not having him to hold and pet anymore. I have to go to work today; which is probably good but I know folks are going to ask how he did over the weekend because they knew he was not well. Here on the keyboard I can 'talk' about it but I know I'm gonna fall apart face-to-face.

Blackbear, thank you for your kind words. Thinking about your guinea pig made me smile. They make such cute squeaks and have such pretty eyes. Non-pet people perhaps can't relate to what we 'feel' with our animal family members but it is very real. The picture--it is the way the camera flash caught him--it does look like a skunk stripe, doesn't it? He was about four years old in that picture; a beautiful 10 lb boy (his papa was 20 lbs!). We'd just bought a weedeater and the long box is behind him on the floor. Of course, he had to check it out! Boxes are great fun!

Nightrider...thank you for being patient and understanding.

Wocus Woman, thank you for reaching out. I've never had a pet this long before. I knew it was going to be hard whenever it had to happen. I babied him for about a week trying to get him to eat but with his weight loss and depression I knew something else was going on and took him in Saturday. I'd read up on all sorts of things that might be wrong; hoping for the best but knowing that at 18 years of age he'd certainly given me some wonderful memories and lots of love and I needed to do what was best for him. Kidney failure can come on fast. They tested him in February when he was drinking alot of water and his tests came back impressively normal for a cat his age. It was only about 2 weeks ago he started failing rapidly. They say by the time a cat (or dog) start showing the signs of kidney failure the functioning is about 70% gone with no hope for recovery. They offered daily kidney dialysis but couldn't, of course, guarantee he'd improve. I didn't think it would be much of a life for him sticking a needle in him every day just so I could hold on to him a little bit longer. As it is, I think he held on for me in the end as it was.

I held him in my own baby blanket when the Vet gave him that shot. Then I held his soft, still body for about 20 minutes afterward; thanking him for all his love and affection. To some he may have just been 'a cat'; but to me he was 18 years of love and affection and a major part of my life's journey. He'll always be in my heart.
          "The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. I had a black cat back when I was in high school. His name was Timmy and I swear he could say hi. People would come over just to show their friends that he could say hi. *L* He was a great cat, he loved to sleep with me and cuddle on the couch. When I would get upset and cry he would come up and sit on my lap. He got sick my sr. year of high school. When he got sick the Vet asked if we wanted to put him to sleep or not. So I went back to his cage and talked to him and he would meow to me, but I could tell how in pain he was. My mom said she would call the vet the next morning to let him know what we wanted to do.
            The vet called the next morning early to let us know that he passed in the night. It was like he knew we didn't have the heart to do that to him. I cried for days. But we always believed that pets take the place of other people. That they love us so much, they'd rather go in place of a relative or loved one. I like to think that's what he did.
            Animals are soooo great. I guess the only negative thing about being a pet lover is....you get hurt not only by losing human companions.....but by your animal companions too. But it's really worth the fun and joy they add to your life.

Take care.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Any animal lover understands your grief...

Gosh!

That's a long time to be lovin and being blessed to have a lovely animal ... with you thru much and for years.

i still miss my "Tiger" - we grew up together ... one never forgets the love we share with our animals.

I send u blessed thoughts Spirit of Seattle, to walk with you thru the passing of ur beloved feline.
              Inuk*

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
              A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
              A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
              Join my on my face book fan page:

Comment

Spirit of Seattle.... so sorry to hear about your loss. :huddle: I had my favorite cat while growing up and like your Ty.. she grew to be so old, and so very loved. She was a cross-eye siamese, named Judy, and she's been gone for nearly 15 years. She loved sleeping on my waterbed and it was reassuring to feel her curled up by my feet. My parents still talk about her.. they told my daughter the comical story of how I threw my cat a bday party... and even invited a few neighborhood cats over to celebrate. LOL We had party games, prizes and even canned cat food to serve. I have a pic of my cat in a party hat. LOL

Comment

my doggy had a death wish on the rezz roads lol :lol2:

Comment

nt inuk, dazzle me, candae princess I want to thank you for your comfort and empathy. I appreciate it. Last night when I went home to the emptiness I saw clumps of his black fur on the carpet. Normally, I would've pulled out the vacuum and cleaned it right up. Instead I left it there for awhile and then I picked it up and held it in my fingers and to my face. Then I put it away in a wooden box. He is with me in spirit.

As life goes on, we look around.
                    We notice ourselves upon this ground.
                    We look beside us, to our faithful friend,
                    who was with us all to the very end.
                    They have not gone, they did not die,
                    they're way above us, flying high.
                    The're always here, they're never gone,
                    They stay beside us, and we are strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Burberrilish
                      my doggy had a death wish on the rezz roads lol :lol2:

yeah me too :dontknow:
                      its a shame that stupidity isnt painful

Comment

I was so sad to hear your story! My baby is a Mini Pin/ Chihuahua and he is my bestest companion right now! He protects me very much, he might be small but he sure has a BIG bark! I couldn't imagine what it would be like without him! I can't even go to the store without taking him along. It is so hard for non animal lovers to understand what it's like. We're not crazy we just care for animlas to!

Comment

Thanks, Miss Ojib! Yes, when we build a bond with an animal the difference in species sorta disappears. He relied on me for everything since he was a baby, gave me his complete trust. And, in the end it is hard to make that decision because you know your heart is going to ache without them, but you also know they deserve a certain quality of life that they have lost and will never get back. I can picture your little guy in all his 'ferocity' protecting you. I hope you enjoy many years together.

D

Comment

Ty For Sharing This ... It's Beautiful

Originally posted by Spirit of Seattle
                            As life goes on, we look around.
                            We notice ourselves upon this ground.
                            We look beside us, to our faithful friend,
                            who was with us all to the very end.
                            They have not gone, they did not die,
                            they're way above us, flying high.
                            The're always here, they're never gone,
                            They stay beside us, and we are strong.
                            Inuk*

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Ojib
                              It is so hard for non animal lovers to understand what it's like. We're not crazy we just care for animlas to!
                              That's right ... we love em
                              Inuk*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.