Are you still Native...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you still Native...?

There seems to be a lot of things that constitutes what makes a person who or what they are. At least in society or media. I know that the situation would be different when looking at it personally...but outside factors (peers, media, etc.) can play a major role on how a person sees themselves. For me, I had a little trouble with some of my peers about who I was. I am multiracial. Cuban, Black, Native (seminole and creek), and Irish. The trouble for me was that not only was I multiracial...I was multicultural as well...So, to some people, it seemed that I was either trying to hide who I really was by being something else or just being a poser. I did however, appreciate the fact that because I was raised knowing my Native roots (as well as other roots)...I wasn't called "Trendian" or whatever...but as for some of my friends whose parents denied their Native claim and they had to learn it themselves...well I just felt bad. It was like...Because they weren't raised native... they didn't have the right to be native...I guess it was the community I lived in at the time...but is it true? Some times you have [eople posing as native because it is some kind of trend but when you have the real thing...then is it diffferent.
    I don't know, this was just a thought.

Ciao!

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Homa Chic
    reference
    by Homa Chic
    Okay! I was going to spend a little while writing a nifty little topic, but this is the third time I try and the computer cuts me off and I have to start over.

So, here is the topic. My professor in Human geography used the term "amerindian". Does is anyone else think that...
    04-10-2001, 08:45 PM
  • OneidaDreamer
    Public Anouncement: The Gloves Are Off
    by OneidaDreamer
    I don't friggn write all "Native" themed poetry. I never have.

That's another gripe I have with skins and or skins stereotypes. Why do people feel compelled to write about just Native subject matter? I mean, feel it and write it. I guess. But don't pose. I can tell the tried...
    05-30-2007, 05:44 AM
  • BeccaDaisy
    A question about tattoos
    by BeccaDaisy
    First off, I don't yet know anything about Native American culture, I am just an Irish girl who is very interested in learning about it.
    What first sparked my interest was the artwork and symbolism. I have always found all of the symbols and colours and crafts so incredibly beautiful. I've been...
    04-06-2014, 03:23 PM
  • greagirl
    How High Was Your High School High?
    by greagirl
    An associate and likely future cult member and I were shooting the proverbial sh...stuff and she starts telling me how she was going to be going very soon to her 10 year highschool reunion.

Having had gone to mine, we chatted about my experience. Strangely enough, pretty much everyone...
    05-21-2006, 02:13 PM
  • Maskwa
    Will you Judge me?
    by Maskwa
    Greetings to all that will take the time to read my story. This story may touch you or make you upset, but I wanted to share a little about me and my life.
    My story starts when I was a very young girl. I went up to my mother and asked her one day why she is brown and I am not. She explained...
    03-31-2007, 02:44 PM

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
    Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
    by OLChemist
    *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
    06-21-2021, 01:08 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X