'Citi' Fraudulent Email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Citi' Fraudulent Email

I opened my personal email account this a.m. to find a message supposedly from Citibank warning me of fraudulent attempts to extract personal information. Then it asked me to click on a link to do jus that! It looked hokey anyway because it is primarily CitiGroup, not Citi, but they used the logo. PLUS I don't have an account with them anyway! So, I went to the actual CitiGroup home website and found their directions for reporting 'spoof'. I am giving it here because I'm sure others will get that same email. Just remember, when you are going to forward a spam somewhere tell your email system to forward with FULL headers. Yahoo makes that easy my having a link right on the page saying display full headers--others don't make it that easy. I also found the first time I tried to forward the message that the body didn't forward. I got that red X so I had to play with it, copy it and then attach it to my reporting email. AND, when I inadvertently ran my mouse over what appeared to be a blank area at the bottom of the email, all sorts of garbage appeared. You couldn't see it until the mouse went over it though, as if it was done in a white font or something. Anyway, please don't fall for this crap. Don't give them any info. Lastly, the first time I tried to report the spoof to the email addy Citigroup supplied it bounced back as 'spam'! So, put the federal email addy in first, followed by the Citigroup addy and it seems to go through fine. Have a nice day!

<SCRIPT src="spoof_branding.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD background=/domain/images/citi_grd.jpg colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=2></TD><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right width="100%">close</TD><TD width=10 rowSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=right><NOBR>LEARN ABOUT SPOOFS | SPOT A SPOOF | PROTECT YOUR ACCOUNT | REPORT A SPOOF</NOBR></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3 height=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=17></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><BIG>When you report fraudulent e-mails that appear to be from Citibank but which are, in fact, sent by imposters, we work aggressively with law enforcement agencies to investigate them.

If you suspect that you've received a fraudulent e-mail, please forward it to us immediately at:

Note: Don't change or retype the subject line—this inhibits our ability to properly investigate it. After forwarding the e-mail, you should delete if from your inbox.

You may also want to forward it to the Federal Trade Commission at:

or contact them at:
    www.consumer.gov/idtheft
    1-877-IDTHEFT

See examples of previously reported spoof e-mails.</BIG>
    </TD><TD width=15></TD><TD vAlign=top> </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=10></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT>footer();</SCRIPT><!-- footer --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=4 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD width=6></TD><TD align=right colSpan=2></TD><TD width=6></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD width=6></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>Citi.com is the global source of information about, and access to, financial services provided by the Citigroup family of companies.</TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right><NOBR>Copyright © 2004 Citicorp</NOBR></TD><TD width=6></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    "The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota

I got one from paypal. You have to be really careful anymore.
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

hot damn! Paypal even? That's un-American!!!!! :25: :5: :medal!: :flag:
      "The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.