Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toys For Tots!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Toys For Tots!

    So, I went to the Mall today. Whenever I feel down in the dumps I buy myself something! But as I walked through the Mall, there in the corner was a smorgasbord of 'eye candy' like I haven't seen in a long time! [Although, they were a little young.] About six studly US Marines, some in dress blues, some in desert issue, were standing at a collection site for the annual TOYS FOR TOTS! toy drive. I looked at the three bags I already had and decided it was time to buy something for someone else. How convenient! KB Toys [no, not Kool Breeze--his toys are probably all battery operated, etc.) was right around the corner. So in I went, and after spending a certain amount of time in line (how do Moms and Dads stand it!!!???) came out with one Scooby Do Barbie Doll and a Tonka Truck (gotta be an equal opportunity elf!). Took a moment to gather some 'nerve' (yes, the Witch needed nerve to approach the studlies!) handed over my shopping bag to the nearest Marine. I was so smitten I hardly noticed the others coming over to say 'thanks'! I think I said something totally stupid and then I left! On the way back to the car I got the guilties for being so indulgent with myself and got to thinking I have a damn lucky life, pretty good health and I still have my Mom. Thinking of those kids that TOYS FOR TOTS takes care of got me all goofy and the next thing I knew I was a cryin' and could hardly see to find my car. 'Course, I did run into that nice US Marine in dress blues out takin' a smoke; who showed his immediate concern... anyway, if you can swing it, drop a toy by your local toy drive and put a smile on a little face that might not be smiling otherwise...God bless us, EVERYONE!!

    :Angel2 Angie:c2:
    Damme ape’semmai, "Andabichidaiboonee’ gimmadu’i.Wihyu memme hainjinee’ nahandu’i. Enne wizha sudei’ tsaangu mabizhiahkande," mai.

    The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

    The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!


  • #2
    It is such a nice feeling to give, i love it and i know what ya mean when you say you began crying. giving to others makes us remeber how lucky we are to live in this land of freedom and how lucky most of in this land have what we have, and some may not have alot but it is more than what others have. I have taught my kids to always share and be aware of those less fortunate. One year I took my girls down to Dairy Queen duirng the xmas season and told them to pik an angel. they chose kids the same age as themselves and then we went shopping, at first i had to remind them that they werent buying for themselves. The experience was really good for them, they seems so much happier and really felt good about themselves Now our family has made it a tradition to go every year and pik an angel, and the good thing is I am not the one that has to do the reminding my girls ask every year now, " mom are we gonna go buy a toy for the Angels?" That alone brings tears to my eyes, its a great feeling!

    ~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~


    Comment


    • #3
      What are these 'angels'? Do they put the names of needy children on them? Or are they for a 'boy' or 'girl'? That's neat that the Dairy Queen is spearheading this. This reminds me, too, of children who with their mothers are homeless. At this time of the year, shelters are real full; particularly women's shelters that also accept kids. Can you imagine the kind of life these kids have? They don't have 'their' room, 'their' place at the dining room table...let alone a bunch of toys in a toybox to choose from. If they're lucky maybe they carry around one special toy, stuffed animal or blanket; but I bet it never stays with them for long. Makes me sad to think of little ones being brought up in those conditions. I was so spoiled as a little girl. I knew I was loved, had my own room, my place at the table and enough toys for an army. I sure had my guardian Angel.
      Damme ape’semmai, "Andabichidaiboonee’ gimmadu’i.Wihyu memme hainjinee’ nahandu’i. Enne wizha sudei’ tsaangu mabizhiahkande," mai.

      The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

      The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Washakie Witch
        What are these 'angels'? Do they put the names of needy children on them? Or are they for a 'boy' or 'girl'? That's neat that the Dairy Queen is spearheading this. This reminds me, too, of children who with their mothers are homeless. At this time of the year, shelters are real full; particularly women's shelters that also accept kids. Can you imagine the kind of life these kids have? They don't have 'their' room, 'their' place at the dining room table...let alone a bunch of toys in a toybox to choose from. If they're lucky maybe they carry around one special toy, stuffed animal or blanket; but I bet it never stays with them for long. Makes me sad to think of little ones being brought up in those conditions. I was so spoiled as a little girl. I knew I was loved, had my own room, my place at the table and enough toys for an army. I sure had my guardian Angel.
        Angels of Hope... they have 2 trees a girl tree and a boy tree with ages of kids on them. My kids usually choose kids thier ages.
        I was also very fortunate as a child growing up and actually quite spoiled but my parents also raised me not to be a snob about it, i was also expected to give and share.

        I could not i magine raising my children like that either and it saddens me very much that in a country as free as ours and as rich as ours that there are families in such situations, yet we can afford to give free trips, free make overs, free cars vehicles etc. I know alot of places that do fundraising for homeless and there is actually a homeless society that work primarily with homeless situations but for some reason people still turn a blind eye to the fact that it exsists in this country.and i have spoken with a few people and i always get the same story, they try and try but never seem to get ahead... they can collect welfare but if they work they get deducted and housing rental is Sky high making it impossible for single mothers to provide thier children with homes. No one i have spoken to chose to be there and feel stuk and feel there is no way out.
        I always encourage people to get education, in Canada we have a great opprotunity for education and once a person aqquires thier degree or certificate whatever it is, no on in this world can take that from them. Just makes ya a less dependent on a system that in the end are only looking out for themselves and reputations.
        I do what I can.. and pray for them all the time, those children in those homes are our futures and look how we treat them.

        ~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Washakie Witch
          So, I went to the Mall today. Whenever I feel down in the dumps I buy myself something! But as I walked through the Mall, there in the corner was a smorgasbord of 'eye candy' like I haven't seen in a long time! [Although, they were a little young.] About six studly US Marines, some in dress blues, some in desert issue, were standing at a collection site for the annual TOYS FOR TOTS! toy drive. I looked at the three bags I already had and decided it was time to buy something for someone else. How convenient! KB Toys [no, not Kool Breeze--his toys are probably all battery operated, etc.) was right around the corner. So in I went, and after spending a certain amount of time in line (how do Moms and Dads stand it!!!???) came out with one Scooby Do Barbie Doll and a Tonka Truck (gotta be an equal opportunity elf!). Took a moment to gather some 'nerve' (yes, the Witch needed nerve to approach the studlies!) handed over my shopping bag to the nearest Marine. I was so smitten I hardly noticed the others coming over to say 'thanks'! I think I said something totally stupid and then I left! On the way back to the car I got the guilties for being so indulgent with myself and got to thinking I have a damn lucky life, pretty good health and I still have my Mom. Thinking of those kids that TOYS FOR TOTS takes care of got me all goofy and the next thing I knew I was a cryin' and could hardly see to find my car. 'Course, I did run into that nice US Marine in dress blues out takin' a smoke; who showed his immediate concern... anyway, if you can swing it, drop a toy by your local toy drive and put a smile on a little face that might not be smiling otherwise...God bless us, EVERYONE!!

          :Angel2 Angie:c2:
          Yeah it does feel good to do things for others in need. My old church had a table that had cards and a picture of the kids their names and age and you'd pick a card and go out and buy that child a present. I know Im a spoiled child (it helps to be the youngest), but Im grateful for what I have. Ive been through some tough times but I always had my mother and sisters there to help me through. And even though my dad may not be the greatest dad in the world Im still thatnkful that I have him.

          Comment


          • #6
            You hit on a good point IF15, that went through my mind as well; that while our family had its share of problems I knew I was loved. And, when you think about it, our Mom's and Dad's are only human. Not only is there no 'User's Manual' for being human; there's no 'User's Manual' for preparing one to be a parent. Most parents try the very best they can; given the foundation they themselves were given. I guess that's why I'm okay with not being a parent. The kid would probably be neurotic as hell! :bouncy: Like Mother, like Daughter !! :D
            Damme ape’semmai, "Andabichidaiboonee’ gimmadu’i.Wihyu memme hainjinee’ nahandu’i. Enne wizha sudei’ tsaangu mabizhiahkande," mai.

            The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

            The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Washakie Witch
              You hit on a good point IF15, that went through my mind as well; that while our family had its share of problems I knew I was loved. And, when you think about it, our Mom's and Dad's are only human. Not only is there no 'User's Manual' for being human; there's no 'User's Manual' for preparing one to be a parent. Most parents try the very best they can; given the foundation they themselves were given. I guess that's why I'm okay with not being a parent. The kid would probably be neurotic as hell! :bouncy: Like Mother, like Daughter !! :D
              :) yeah

              Comment


              • #8
                WW, what a GREAT experience!

                I just noticed a Toys for Tots at our local rez store. I was VERY surprised, but plan on buying some stuff and helping to fill it up.
                ...it is what it is...

                Comment

                Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                Related Topics

                Collapse

                • Standingbull
                  Our Wood Lands
                  by Standingbull
                  I have been trucking pallets to local companys here in Michigan, It has been a good job 5 miles from home and I get home evey day by 2 This last August I started hauling Cants & outs from saw mills in Michigan as I have seen the mess and all the dead trees in their yards I started getting put in...
                  04-15-2004, 04:04 PM
                • Elo Janis
                  NDN Thoughts on the Gun Control Issue
                  by Elo Janis
                  I am interested how you all felt about the gun control debate that has ensued after the Sandy Hook massacre. It seems to be getting more and more heated every day with the nation equally divided between gun owners who are vehemently opposed to any sort of regulation and those who are calling for new...
                  01-17-2013, 10:09 AM
                • Plenty Fox
                  Talking to Your Kids About Drugs/Alcohol-ages 15-17
                  by Plenty Fox
                  The many suggestions offered for the previous age groups need to continue and if they were not initiated at those ages, it is even more imminent to do so now. Continue to praise and encourage your teenage children for all the things they do well and for the positive choices they make. When you are...
                  08-03-2005, 02:58 PM
                • 50cal
                  Gary Sinise and Veterans...
                  by 50cal
                  Commentary: We can't do enough for our veterans

                  (CNN) -- A while back, a friend of mine suggested that I take a look at a film that a buddy of his had made about his two brothers serving in Iraq.

                  Having spent some time there myself, I was eager to see it. Once I did, I wanted...
                  09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
                • crazywolf
                  Obsolete Reservations???
                  by crazywolf
                  Boozhoo niji,

                  I know this one is gonna start some fires, so be it. This have been bugging me for a couple of months and now I am bringing it out into the open for everyone to attack, flame, ridicule and possibly even get banned over.

                  I was at work a couple of days ago,...
                  03-12-2009, 02:11 PM

                Trending

                Collapse

                • OLChemist
                  Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                  by OLChemist
                  *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

                  Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                  06-21-2021, 12:08 PM

                Sidebar Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X