Toys For Tots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toys For Tots!

So, I went to the Mall today. Whenever I feel down in the dumps I buy myself something! But as I walked through the Mall, there in the corner was a smorgasbord of 'eye candy' like I haven't seen in a long time! [Although, they were a little young.] About six studly US Marines, some in dress blues, some in desert issue, were standing at a collection site for the annual TOYS FOR TOTS! toy drive. I looked at the three bags I already had and decided it was time to buy something for someone else. How convenient! KB Toys [no, not Kool Breeze--his toys are probably all battery operated, etc.) was right around the corner. So in I went, and after spending a certain amount of time in line (how do Moms and Dads stand it!!!???) came out with one Scooby Do Barbie Doll and a Tonka Truck (gotta be an equal opportunity elf!). Took a moment to gather some 'nerve' (yes, the Witch needed nerve to approach the studlies!) handed over my shopping bag to the nearest Marine. I was so smitten I hardly noticed the others coming over to say 'thanks'! I think I said something totally stupid and then I left! On the way back to the car I got the guilties for being so indulgent with myself and got to thinking I have a damn lucky life, pretty good health and I still have my Mom. Thinking of those kids that TOYS FOR TOTS takes care of got me all goofy and the next thing I knew I was a cryin' and could hardly see to find my car. 'Course, I did run into that nice US Marine in dress blues out takin' a smoke; who showed his immediate concern... anyway, if you can swing it, drop a toy by your local toy drive and put a smile on a little face that might not be smiling otherwise...God bless us, EVERYONE!!

:Angel2 Angie:c2:
    Damme ape’semmai, "Andabichidaiboonee’ gimmadu’i.Wihyu memme hainjinee’ nahandu’i. Enne wizha sudei’ tsaangu mabizhiahkande," mai.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

It is such a nice feeling to give, i love it and i know what ya mean when you say you began crying. giving to others makes us remeber how lucky we are to live in this land of freedom and how lucky most of in this land have what we have, and some may not have alot but it is more than what others have. I have taught my kids to always share and be aware of those less fortunate. One year I took my girls down to Dairy Queen duirng the xmas season and told them to pik an angel. they chose kids the same age as themselves and then we went shopping, at first i had to remind them that they werent buying for themselves. The experience was really good for them, they seems so much happier and really felt good about themselves Now our family has made it a tradition to go every year and pik an angel, and the good thing is I am not the one that has to do the reminding my girls ask every year now, " mom are we gonna go buy a toy for the Angels?" That alone brings tears to my eyes, its a great feeling!

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

What are these 'angels'? Do they put the names of needy children on them? Or are they for a 'boy' or 'girl'? That's neat that the Dairy Queen is spearheading this. This reminds me, too, of children who with their mothers are homeless. At this time of the year, shelters are real full; particularly women's shelters that also accept kids. Can you imagine the kind of life these kids have? They don't have 'their' room, 'their' place at the dining room table...let alone a bunch of toys in a toybox to choose from. If they're lucky maybe they carry around one special toy, stuffed animal or blanket; but I bet it never stays with them for long. Makes me sad to think of little ones being brought up in those conditions. I was so spoiled as a little girl. I knew I was loved, had my own room, my place at the table and enough toys for an army. I sure had my guardian Angel.
      Damme ape’semmai, "Andabichidaiboonee’ gimmadu’i.Wihyu memme hainjinee’ nahandu’i. Enne wizha sudei’ tsaangu mabizhiahkande," mai.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

Comment

Originally posted by Washakie Witch
        What are these 'angels'? Do they put the names of needy children on them? Or are they for a 'boy' or 'girl'? That's neat that the Dairy Queen is spearheading this. This reminds me, too, of children who with their mothers are homeless. At this time of the year, shelters are real full; particularly women's shelters that also accept kids. Can you imagine the kind of life these kids have? They don't have 'their' room, 'their' place at the dining room table...let alone a bunch of toys in a toybox to choose from. If they're lucky maybe they carry around one special toy, stuffed animal or blanket; but I bet it never stays with them for long. Makes me sad to think of little ones being brought up in those conditions. I was so spoiled as a little girl. I knew I was loved, had my own room, my place at the table and enough toys for an army. I sure had my guardian Angel.
        Angels of Hope... they have 2 trees a girl tree and a boy tree with ages of kids on them. My kids usually choose kids thier ages.
        I was also very fortunate as a child growing up and actually quite spoiled but my parents also raised me not to be a snob about it, i was also expected to give and share.

I could not i magine raising my children like that either and it saddens me very much that in a country as free as ours and as rich as ours that there are families in such situations, yet we can afford to give free trips, free make overs, free cars vehicles etc. I know alot of places that do fundraising for homeless and there is actually a homeless society that work primarily with homeless situations but for some reason people still turn a blind eye to the fact that it exsists in this country.and i have spoken with a few people and i always get the same story, they try and try but never seem to get ahead... they can collect welfare but if they work they get deducted and housing rental is Sky high making it impossible for single mothers to provide thier children with homes. No one i have spoken to chose to be there and feel stuk and feel there is no way out.
        I always encourage people to get education, in Canada we have a great opprotunity for education and once a person aqquires thier degree or certificate whatever it is, no on in this world can take that from them. Just makes ya a less dependent on a system that in the end are only looking out for themselves and reputations.
        I do what I can.. and pray for them all the time, those children in those homes are our futures and look how we treat them.

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

So, I went to the Mall today. Whenever I feel down in the dumps I buy myself something! But as I walked through the Mall, there in the corner was a smorgasbord of 'eye candy' like I haven't seen in a long time! [Although, they were a little young.] About six studly US Marines, some in dress blues, some in desert issue, were standing at a collection site for the annual TOYS FOR TOTS! toy drive. I looked at the three bags I already had and decided it was time to buy something for someone else. How convenient! KB Toys [no, not Kool Breeze--his toys are probably all battery operated, etc.) was right around the corner. So in I went, and after spending a certain amount of time in line (how do Moms and Dads stand it!!!???) came out with one Scooby Do Barbie Doll and a Tonka Truck (gotta be an equal opportunity elf!). Took a moment to gather some 'nerve' (yes, the Witch needed nerve to approach the studlies!) handed over my shopping bag to the nearest Marine. I was so smitten I hardly noticed the others coming over to say 'thanks'! I think I said something totally stupid and then I left! On the way back to the car I got the guilties for being so indulgent with myself and got to thinking I have a damn lucky life, pretty good health and I still have my Mom. Thinking of those kids that TOYS FOR TOTS takes care of got me all goofy and the next thing I knew I was a cryin' and could hardly see to find my car. 'Course, I did run into that nice US Marine in dress blues out takin' a smoke; who showed his immediate concern... anyway, if you can swing it, drop a toy by your local toy drive and put a smile on a little face that might not be smiling otherwise...God bless us, EVERYONE!!

:Angel2 Angie:c2:
          Yeah it does feel good to do things for others in need. My old church had a table that had cards and a picture of the kids their names and age and you'd pick a card and go out and buy that child a present. I know Im a spoiled child (it helps to be the youngest), but Im grateful for what I have. Ive been through some tough times but I always had my mother and sisters there to help me through. And even though my dad may not be the greatest dad in the world Im still thatnkful that I have him.

Comment

You hit on a good point IF15, that went through my mind as well; that while our family had its share of problems I knew I was loved. And, when you think about it, our Mom's and Dad's are only human. Not only is there no 'User's Manual' for being human; there's no 'User's Manual' for preparing one to be a parent. Most parents try the very best they can; given the foundation they themselves were given. I guess that's why I'm okay with not being a parent. The kid would probably be neurotic as hell! :bouncy: Like Mother, like Daughter !! :D

Comment

You hit on a good point IF15, that went through my mind as well; that while our family had its share of problems I knew I was loved. And, when you think about it, our Mom's and Dad's are only human. Not only is there no 'User's Manual' for being human; there's no 'User's Manual' for preparing one to be a parent. Most parents try the very best they can; given the foundation they themselves were given. I guess that's why I'm okay with not being a parent. The kid would probably be neurotic as hell! :bouncy: Like Mother, like Daughter !! :D
              :) yeah

Comment

WW, what a GREAT experience!

I just noticed a Toys for Tots at our local rez store. I was VERY surprised, but plan on buying some stuff and helping to fill it up.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.