X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
    Oh, heavens I need more social contact. I'm discussing storm water management in a recreational context.
    Than we may need to do video conferencing until this can be changed to recreational courses in face to face again on recreational interests on a regular base.

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    I've never danced at the Taos powwow , however I went once and it had a good crowd ! Unfortunately I've slept since then and I can't say I remember much about it or it could have something to do with my habit of over indulging in certain beverages that I no longer imbibe in !

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Oh, heavens I need more social contact. I'm discussing storm water management in a recreational context.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Hey WD, have you ever been to the Taos Powwow? Should we send BA there if he's in the states at the right time?

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    What do you do during storms? The amount of water must be overwhelming. Surely your roof must tie into a storm water system rather than waste water.

Loop 12 in Dallas in a sudden heavy rain, unless your car can swim.

Don’t tell my local authorities about that rainwater and roof thing. They’d love another way to extract money from me.
    First thing is, I think we have no storms like you have with the amount of water.

The drainage systems are really huge. At one point in the town there is a part of the pipe exhibited. It is about a two floors high. There are underground basins, retention basins, which I have never seen are said to be really volominus. Not in my town but in Cologne, some parts of the Roman drainage system may be still in use.

Even in the heaviest rainfall, the water did not spill out of my gutters. Those of the Kindergarten spill always due to bad installation.

Our main problem may be clooged gullies because they are not cleaned often enough or are blocked by cars when the cleaning teams ae working.

I have no swim car. There are some swim cars of WWII but they are quite expansive and you have to pay in cash; even if it is 600 000€.

I promise not to tell your local authorities. You may better delete that portion of the post.
    Last edited by Broken Arrow; 03-03-2021, 11:39 AM. Reason: typing errors corrected (I hope)

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    They try very hard to keep rain water runoff out of the sewers here. In heavy rains, it will overwhelm the wastewater processing plant. Storm water is handled by a different system. Most US storm drainage systems don’t treat the water that passes through them.

What do you do during storms? The amount of water must be overwhelming. Surely your roof must tie into a storm water system rather than waste water.

In cities in dessert areas, the run off water from a routine thunderstorm is impressive. When you’re in Albq. as you drive around you will find these deep dry concrete channels and deep dry arroyos. These will fill with many feet of water in the rain. One of the places I buy jewelry supplies is near the Embudo channel, which drains neighborhoods from near the I 25 I 40 interchange to the Sandia Mtns. One time I was in the store during a 15 mins squall. When I left the channel was at least 8 ft deep in raging water. It had been dry when I went in. Get a really good storm and you’ll have boulders rolling down these arroyos.

This happens in DFW too, sans boulders. Sadly our streets tend to act like the run off channels in some neighborhoods. Don’t take Loop 12 in Dallas in a sudden heavy rain, unless your car can swim.

Don’t tell my local authorities about that rainwater and roof thing. They’d love another way to extract money from me.
    Last edited by OLChemist; 03-03-2021, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    My system is similar. However, the pan drain is not connected to the sanitary drain. It drains outside the house. This is a fairly normal setup in my area.
    LOL, that is against regulations in my town. Even rain water from the roof is led into the sanitary drain or where the sanitary drain of the house ends in the public drain.

You have to pay for rain water led into the public drain and that is computed by the sqm of your roofs and sealed surfaces as for example the drive up.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    My system is similar. However, the pan drain is not connected to the sanitary drain. It drains outside the house. This is a fairly normal setup in my area.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    The water heater is in a catch basin, which drains -- in theory -- outside my bedroom window. Level being different than what it was when I took shop, I won't be terribly surprised to find out that the pipes are higher than the side of the basin.
    I have send you some pictuers.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    The water heater is in a catch basin, which drains -- in theory -- outside my bedroom window. Level being different than what it was when I took shop, I won't be terribly surprised to find out that the pipes are higher than the side of the basin.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    So, I just replace the current one every time the warranty expires, lol.

There was a little water in the pan and alarm system sensor was lying on the floor next to the water heater. Also thankfully, it wasn't leaking much.

I've been back three times this morning. I'm going to crack before Weds, LOL.

Sound like you have a similar system as we use in Germany. May tank is placed inside a catch basin whixch has an overflow into the waste water pipe.

Uh, I dont know how many years warranty you have but ist sounds as if that you need every two or three years a new heater.

The system is supposed to hold for 15 years.Sigh, quality isn't what is shoul dbe. I remember when those gas water heating systems coul dbe rlied on for 25+ years.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    DFW to Edgewood, NM. That's a nice long 9-10 hour drive at 70 mph.

But, I were routing you, not Google Maps.... I'd send you the long way through Lubbock and up to I-40 at Santa Rosa. You need to go to Ft Sumner and the Bosque Redondo Memorial. You could also see the Billy the Kid Museum. And eat at one of my favorite New Mexican places in Clovis -- best red chili fries on the planet.

After Edgewood on to Albq. You must come during April for Gathering of Nations or June for St Antony's feast day at Ohkay Owingeh. Then out I-40 to Acoma to see Sky City. If the tour guide takes you to the right places, you can still see the scars from Vincente de Zaldivar's attack in 1599. You may be able to see where Fray Lucas Maldonado and Fray Cristobal Figueroa were thrown to their deaths. Seeing the people still there and living as Acoma people after the murder, mutilation, enslavement and/or dispersion of the people is a testament to the strength of Native peoples.

Then you can head down I-40 to Gallup. You need your mutton stew, fry bread, and piccadilly snow cone fix.
    Last edited by OLChemist; 03-02-2021, 12:40 PM. Reason: "the" is not equal to "to"

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    One of the "joys" of this house is the hot water heater in the attic. I've been debating a tankless, but I have to get the electrical panel upgraded, which is more bucks than I want to spend on a house I plan to leave when I retire in less than a decade. (Plus everyone I know who had a tankless had the lines freeze in this last storm.) With my bum hip I can't climb safely into the attic to check on it. So, I just replace the current one every time the warranty expires, lol.

I had the water heater replacement scheduled before the storm/blackouts/plumbing apocalypse. Yesterday they did this. I had a Leak Breaker installed to shut off the incoming water if a leak developed. The catch is the alarm siren is in the attic, where I can't hear it unless I'm standing right under the attic hatch. But, I also have a flood sensor that is part of my fire alarm system. An hour after the plumbers left, I was mopping up the dirt and insulation they had tracked all over the hall. I keep hearing this faint beeping, like a truck backing up one street over. I stood there thinking "No Rose, the water is an hour old, it isn't leaking." Besides the alarm app is showing the flood sensor is high and dry. So, I go over and turn on the hot water. There is no hot water, the valve is closed.

I couldn't get the cover of the meter box off to shut off the water to the house. Thankfully, my handyman who had been at the house to replace the decking under the pan, was working a job down the street and got to the house in a few minutes. He climbed up in the attic. There was a little water in the pan and alarm system sensor was lying on the floor next to the water heater. Also thankfully, it wasn't leaking much.

With the frozen pipe plumbing apocalypse it took 15 minutes on hold just to get to the plumbing company. Then a couple hours for them to get back -- a long couple hours praying the rest of the 40 gals wouldn't leak out.

Long story short -- too late. The drain valve hadn't been tightened at the factory. They tightened it up. Hopefully it's fixed for good. The alarm company is coming on Weds to reinstall the sensor. But I kept waking up every hour last night and staggering into the hall to listen for the beeping. I've been back three times this morning. I'm going to crack before Weds, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    BA, don't come to Texas, at least not in the winter.
    I had planned to visit Texas after retirement so in 2025 or 2026 and visit the founders ranch at Edgewood and than take a longer journay through native country.

As I have to fly, the fligth might end in Dallas and than by car.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    BA, don't come to Texas, at least not in the winter. We have the friendly mountain cedar, which releases clouds of pollen in Dec and Jan.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.