This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yaahl View Post
    Funny how different regions view cooler weather... up here in Canuckistan, we don't do stews until there is frost on the ground or the temps stay in the single digits. lol
    LOL. If we waited til the temps stayed in the single digits...we might never have stew again!

I'm looking forward to winter. I'm getting in the mood for more wintery foods. Beans w/vinegar, and cornbread. Chili (and cornbread). Turnips (and cornbread). Cream of wild rice soup w/sausage. Winter is good crockpot season!
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
      If ya haven't already, check the recipes section. Lotsa good stuff over there - incl. my recipe for chicken soup w/matzah balls!

OH JUST YUM-O!!...Thanks pal!!
      I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

LOL. If we waited til the temps stayed in the single digits...we might never have stew again!

I'm looking forward to winter. I'm getting in the mood for more wintery foods. Beans w/vinegar, and cornbread. Chili (and cornbread). Turnips (and cornbread). Cream of wild rice soup w/sausage. Winter is good crockpot season!
        If the temps ever hit single digits here and stay that way, I am headed for somewhere that doesn't ever happen. LOL! Not a big fan of turnips, but love any kind of beans and cornbread. We cook them in the pressure cooker. Tried them in the crockpot a couple of times and they just don't taste the same. Doesn't take as long, either. I just "quick soak" the beans-while I'm cleaning them, I nuke about 4 cups of water, add that to the beads in a bowl, cover and let sit for 4 or 5 hours. Then toss them in the pressure cooker with seasoning, let them jiggle for 5-10 mins., depending on the beans, then, let them cool, take the lid off and simmer for about an hour-again depending on what kind of beans they are.
        I was terrified of the pressure cooker when we first got it. All comes from getting home from school one day, as I was headed in the house, I heard a weird noise, my mom screamed and my dad started swearing. They had a huge pressure cooker/canner and had been canning green beans. Got in the house and there were green beans everywhere-ceiling, counters, walls, parents, even the cat. The safety thing blew off, then the lid followed it. When I got older, I realized they were lucky they weren't seriously hurt, but at the time, I was around 10, it seemed kind of funny.
        Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post
          They had a huge pressure cooker/canner and had been canning green beans. Got in the house and there were green beans everywhere-ceiling, counters, walls, parents, even the cat.
          I did the very same thing the first time I used a pressure cooker...blackeyed peas were my nemesis for a long long time...LOL!!
          I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

• Comadre:

Hope you are feeling better after your op. I got your message (how come you don't have your messages on your profile turned on?) When I mentioned in the thread about folks not showing up I wasn't referring to family. I was referring to folks who are for the lack of a better term, weekend warriors and princesses or the ones who have self proclaimed to be a medicine/elder/ceremony conductor etc... it's those folks that never seem to rock up to meetings that involve our issues. Why they don't is simple, their lack of community/family ties or job related tasking are the reason. For those that charge money for doing ceremonies etc, if there is no money in it for them they tend not to show up. They also tend to stay away because they can't sustain their superficial knowledge base long enough not to be questioned and the fakers don't want to be outed.

Beautiful day on the prairies... hovering at 2c this morning. Going to finished tidying up the house for the in-law visit. I started my hubby's button vest last night and so far it's going good...with the cooler weather I can continue sewing on the buttons to my blanket - it was just too hot over July and August to have it across my lap...lol

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
            A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

Last edited by comadre; 09-15-2012, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Last edited by comadre; 09-15-2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• It's fried chicken livers, broccoli rice casserole, and garlic cheese grits for me tonight!

sigpic

Comment

• i love fried chicken livers, but I will not cook them again as long as that restraunt in the next town over exists....they do them just like I do, and i dont' have to clean up or smell it in my house...YEAH ME!!!

Comment

• Chicken livers-yummy!! That's another cool weather meal for us. Just don't care for them when it's hot out. Hubby made the beef stew this weekend. No biscuits, but grilled cheese instead. Still good and perfect for the overcast, cool weather we had. Still haven't gotten the promised rain yet. They got it 20 miles to the north and 30 miles to the south, but not a drop here.
                      Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• ^Hey look another Jaw-ja in da house^

whoo hoo!!!

Comment

• There used to be a Grandy's just down the road from me - I loved their livers & gizzards dinner!

I've never been able make gizzards that were worth eating. But I like them just as much as I like livers.

Or beef/calf liver w/onions, bacon & cheese!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

• Ice cream sundae here please, thanks!
                            CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                            sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

There used to be a Grandy's just down the road from me - I loved their livers & gizzards dinner!

I've never been able make gizzards that were worth eating. But I like them just as much as I like livers.

Or beef/calf liver w/onions, bacon & cheese!!!
                              Didja parboil the gizzards first?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

• I just finished the greatest chimichanga ever!
                                I put a bean and cheese burrito in some hot oil and fried till golden.Then I smothered it in lettuce,tomato,a little onion, some sour cream,olives and a smidgen of cilantro. As if that wasn't enough I threw on that plate a handful of home made corn tortilla chips.Topped it off with tea. I was so hungry.Not any more!!!
                                YUM!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.