This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
    Gila monsters!!! Ahhhhh Noooo, you mean those things that I can just walk away from? LOL. One bites me and it's getting shot and BBQ'd in molasses.
    EWwww!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gross! I would have to be dang hungry to eat one of those.
    Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Whoops forgot to add in that the BBQ'd in molasses was to be said in the "Sheriff Buford T. Justice" accent".

I'm not afraid to handle reptiles, especially snakes and lizards. As long as you have a general respect and understanding of them then you should have a problem with handling them. I treat them the same way I did when I was an electrician working with live commercial/industrial voltages.
      CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
      sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

• I used to handle the occasional snake and some lizards, but have gotten out of that. We had a "pet" grass snake once that my husband had rescued. Something with talons had gotten a hold of her and she was hurt. We put her in a terrarium and I would check her wounds a couple of times a day. After several weeks, I got these weird bumps on my hands, that itched. I went to the dermatologist and he said I had scabies. He started running down this list of things on how I could have gotten them. Everything was a "no" until he got to the one about snakes. I told him about the one we had. He said that they have tiny mites that keep their scales clean underneath, and that's how I got scabies.
        Here's a local story you might like. Can't find the link, so...A couple of weeks ago, some guy came up here from Jacksonville to buy a Green Mamba from some local who put an ad on Craigs List. It's illegal to have those kinds of snakes in Fl.. When the guy was showing him the snake, it bit him. He survived, but the local guy and the Mamba are missing. The cops aren't sure if they are together or not. LOL! This happened a couple of blocks from where I work. I'm just happy there aren't too many trees around my job, since Mambas tend to like trees. I think it's insane to have snakes like that around the house.

Comment

• Yikes, scabies sounds like it really sucks. Snakes and lizards are also known to have an assortment of bacteria on their scales as well.

As for the sale of a green mamba, well it's illegal to own them as pets at all in the U.S. without a special permit, which usually requires that you have spent x number of hours in training with a zoologist or better yet a herpetologist that specializes in the handling of exotic venomous snakes. I would never want to own a venomous snake, lizard or frog or a large boa or python. I did at one point own a Royal Python (Ball Python) but he got meningitis, which killed him before I could even get him to the vet - the issue with any wild caught snakes. The way things are with my career pretty much prevents me from owning any pets because I just can't devote enough time to them.
          sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

• I never really wanted a "pet" that I had to feed something cute and furry. LOL! Getting grasshoppers and crickets for the grass snake was fine, but to go and buy a rat or a rabbit for a snake is a whole different ball game. Another reason I don't think people should have them is what is happening in S. Fla.. Over run with pythons and boas to the point where the native populations are in danger of becoming extinct. Gee, that rings a bell.

Comment

• Alrighty. Waffles are done and by the time you get your waffle fixed, the coffee will be ready. It's hot and strong. I need it. After I get off work, I'm going to go home and change clothes, then set off on a quest to find a Big Wheels for the grandson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
                Whoops forgot to add in that the BBQ'd in molasses was to be said in the "Sheriff Buford T. Justice" accent".
                I KNEW THAT!!!

I love Smokey and the Bandit!!
                I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post
                  Alrighty. Waffles are done and by the time you get your waffle fixed, the coffee will be ready. It's hot and strong. I need it. After I get off work, I'm going to go home and change clothes, then set off on a quest to find a Big Wheels for the grandson.
                  Thanks for the waffles and coffee sweetheart....aren't big wheels fun!!!!
                  I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

• i wanna bbq so freakin bad lol

Comment

• its freezin your @zz off cold here i want la back lol

Comment

• Getting chilly here too, but nothing like what you have up there. It was 20° there during the day and that was before Thanksgiving... that weather sucks.
                        sigpic

Comment

• its tshirt weather here!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Last edited by comadre; 09-15-2012, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• I'll shoot anything that tries to attack me but if a snake or lizard gets into the house I'm just going to remove it; not allowed to shoot a gun within so many feet of a residence.
                              sigpic

Comment

Last edited by comadre; 09-15-2012, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

• namamiinc
                                  Hello From FLorida
                                  by namamiinc
                                  I’m a new member in town` and I’m so honored to be a part of PowWow community. Hope will to get to more friends and knowledge....
                                  12-01-2022, 07:14 AM
                                • OLChemist
                                  Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                  by OLChemist
                                  *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                  06-21-2021, 01:08 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X