This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spiritflight View Post
    Or are they all fake news names and all of them sausages really called meicas? ;-)

Depends upon whom you ask.

The Wiener say they are Frankfurter (Frankfurt am Main)
    but the Frankfurter (am Main or an der Oder) may call them Wiener.

But in nowadays time the might have changed to Böklunder oder Deutschländer but who really knows?
    Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
    Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
    Show me, and I will understand.
    Involve me, and I will learn.”
    Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.
    Living one day at a time,
    Enjoying one moment at a time,
    Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
    (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

• [MENTION=527]wardancer[/MENTION]LOL.

One of my grandpa's brothers was kind of a wanderer. We wouldn't hear from him for months or years then he'd call -- collect -- from the bus station to tell us he was coming to dinner. He was built like a snake with legs; he slide down the shower drain if he didn't use a safely line, LOL. But, he could eat more than our entire family. My mom became a master of adding a more water to the soup, cutting the meat into smaller pieces, throwing wet croutons into the stuffing, or putting some more noodles in the macaroni and cheese. Anytime the soup was too thin or the meat to stuffing/potatoes ratio favored the stuffing, Dad would ask when her uncle was going to get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
        [MENTION=527]wardancer[/MENTION]LOL.

One of my grandpa's brothers was kind of a wanderer. We wouldn't hear from him for months or years then he'd call -- collect -- from the bus station to tell us he was coming to dinner. He was built like a snake with legs; he slide down the shower drain if he didn't use a safely line, LOL. But, he could eat more than our entire family. My mom became a master of adding a more water to the soup, cutting the meat into smaller pieces, throwing wet croutons into the stuffing, or putting some more noodles in the macaroni and cheese. Anytime the soup was too thin or the meat to stuffing/potatoes ratio favored the stuffing, Dad would ask when her uncle was going to get there.
        That's priceless. When I first moved out and had a roomie, we had a neighbor like that. Somehow he always knew when one of us was cooking, and he would just magically appear at dinnertime.

I got 95% of my winter clothes out last weekend and most of the summer ones put away. I was worried I would cause a heat wave by doing that. LOL! Guess not, since it went down to 38 last night, and 42 tonight. Where did October go?? I can't believe it's nearly over.
        Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post
          Where did October go?? I can't believe it's nearly over.
          Leave cause he is afraid of Winter?
          Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
          Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Yeah, I was in college before I realized blue-box mac and cheese only came with one shape of noodle, LOL. Mom pretty routinely stretched that from a three person meal to four with a handful of random pasta.

My sympathies on the cold front. Winter does indeed scare Fall away.

We had a cold snap last week. It went from 90F to 36F in 24 hours. The weird thing was it started sleeting -- or as they call it in Texas snowing -- at 50F. The frozen precipitation does not even need to stick to the roads to make folks drive looney down here. One lady was so busy taking a cell phone photo of the sleet on her windshield, she didn't notice the stop sign she was running.

I'm being a whiney brat today. My thumb hurts. My right thumb, the one I use to hold a pen or hit the space bar. I need chocolate to make it feel better.

This Sunday, I was soldering a piece with all these weird compound angles. It was tiny and I have over 50 eyeballs, necessitating the use a magnifying visor, which cuts off my peripheral vision. I wasn't sure I had used enough solder and go in to stick solder a questionable area. (Stick soldering is when you feed the wire silver solder into a hot joint.) I should mention, I suck at stick soldering and usually go in too cold. This time I got the solder molten then fumbled the wire. It fell outside my restricted field of view. But, I thought I heard it hit it ground, rather than the bench. So, I go ahead and reach for my solder pick without looking. I found the $^#@ solder. I grabbed hold of both the pick and fresh out of the air-acetylene flame solder. Dang wire stuck to my thumb and branded me.

The kicker is when I tell people why I can't hold a pen, they want to see. The burn is about 0.020" wide. You need my magnifier just to see it. They look at me like I'm the biggest baby. Which I am, but my thumb still hurts. *Whine*
            Last edited by OLChemist; 10-31-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I'm being a whiney brat today. My thumb hurts. My right thumb, the one I use to hold a pen or hit the space bar. I need chocolate to make it feel better.

This Sunday, I was soldering a piece with all these weird compound angles. It was tiny and I have over 50 eyeballs, necessitating the use a magnifying visor, which cuts off my peripheral vision. I wasn't sure I had used enough solder and go in to stick solder a questionable area. (Stick soldering is when you feed the wire silver solder into a hot joint.) I should mention, I suck at stick soldering and usually go in too cold. This time I got the solder molten then fumbled the wire. It fell outside my restricted field of view. But, I thought I heard it hit it ground, rather than the bench. So, I go ahead and reach for my solder pick without looking. I found the $^#@ solder. I grabbed hold of both the pick and fresh out of the air-acetylene flame solder. Dang wire stuck to my thumb and branded me.

The kicker is when I tell people why I can't hold a pen, they want to see. The burn is about 0.020" wide. You need my magnifier just to see it. They look at me like I'm the biggest baby. Which I am, but my thumb still hurts. *Whine*
              Care for a little cheese to go with the whine? Sorry-couldn't resist.

Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Something in a Stilon or Stopshire Blue to go with the lovely pears I bought this week. Although a double Gloucester with chives and some water crackers would be nice too.

Comment

• Hey hey hey everyone!

I haven't been in here in a long time. I've been just way too busy recently with a few projects that are eating up most of my spare time. How's everyone doing? I'm just doing some Christmas shopping on Amazon while waiting for my wife to get home from work so we can eat dinner.
                  CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                  sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

• Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
                    Hey hey hey everyone!

How's everyone doing?

I'm just doing some Christmas shopping on Amazon while waiting for my wife to get home from work so we can eat dinner.

Hey isn't that a little bit early Christmas shopping? Well, on Christmas eve the merchants already sell Easter bunnies. Crazy little world.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Christmas? It'll be just another lonely time for me at home just like all the other years since my family passed away. Many years now. So I won't have to do any xmas-shopping nor decorations. And I am not going to church to see all the other families happily ignoring lonely people

Last edited by Spiritflight; 11-02-2017, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• Spiritflight, I try really hard to be sympathetic, because I've had desperately lonely times in my life. But, now the Native Auntie hat is coming out.

Human connections are a two way street. I have piece of Native wisdom from my grandfather for you. He once told me I was lonely because I had spent too much time staring in a mirror at myself and could no longer see those all around me. Your family has passed and you're alone. This Christmas season you can: A) sit around feeling sorry for yourself or B) reach into your culture, go to that church, remember the reason for the season, and be of service to others.

For years I worked with this beautiful, popular happy young woman. You would look at her and think she had everything. She was the kind of person who sprinkled fairy dust on every luncheon, birthday, shower, wedding, party, or meeting she organized. She alway made you feel special. I was surprised to discover she volunteered at a local homeless shelter. When I asked why, she told me she had to keep reminding herself she wasn't the center of her life, or she'd start to focus on all her short comings and flaws.

Some food for thought, I hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
                          Hey isn't that a little bit early Christmas shopping?
                          Early? Glade -- an air freshener company -- was running ads hocking pine and bayberry candles three days before Halloween. I grabbed a bag of Halloween candy off the top shelf in the local drug store and dislodged a box of Christmas wrap. If I want to finally replace my artificial Christmas tree, since the cats have reduced the old one to ruins, I need to get to the store before Thanksgiving, or they'll be picked over.

On a different holiday... Some of my colleagues have put up their Thanksgiving decorations. I have a new one that one of my craft school classmates made me this summer. I wonder if I should put it up. How do you think two handmade, ceramic pilgrim figurines shishkabobbed on an arrow will fly?

Comment

Spiritflight, I try really hard to be sympathetic, because I've had desperately lonely times in my life. But, now the Native Auntie hat is coming out.

Human connections are a two way street. I have piece of Native wisdom from my grandfather for you. He once told me I was lonely because I had spent too much time staring in a mirror at myself and could no longer see those all around me. Your family has passed and you're alone. This Christmas season you can: A) sit around feeling sorry for yourself or B) reach into your culture, go to that church, remember the reason for the season, and be of service to others.

For years I worked with this beautiful, popular happy young woman. You would look at her and think she had everything. She was the kind of person who sprinkled fairy dust on every luncheon, birthday, shower, wedding, party, or meeting she organized. She alway made you feel special. I was surprised to discover she volunteered at a local homeless shelter. When I asked why, she told me she had to keep reminding herself she wasn't the center of her life, or she'd start to focus on all her short comings and flaws.

Some food for thought, I hope.
                            Thanks for your effort to answer. Missunderstandings happen all the time.

Comment

Early?

If I want to finally replace my artificial Christmas tree, since the cats have reduced the old one to ruins, I need to get to the store before Thanksgiving, or they'll be picked over.

That is worse than what I know from where I am.

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                              How do you think two handmade, ceramic pilgrim figurines shishkabobbed on an arrow will fly?
                              You get me on a wrong feet at least with this shiskabobbed but let me guess, they will fly like a rock or a totally mismatched arrow shaft without feathers. Watch your back.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Last edited by Spiritflight; 11-04-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.