Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well , technically I don't HAVE to go anywhere to shoot ! LOL There's no ordinance against it ! I could(and have) leaned out my back door to rid us of wild creatures that wander in where they don't need to be , such as raccoons , possums , foxes , and coyotes , oh and the occasional armadillo ! ( I usually just go chase them off cause I like to watch them hop !) I choose to go out of town so the neighbors don't get quite so nervous , because it's well known that the left leaning idiots think that big scary looking guns sometimes get loose and go out and kill people ! I've never actually seen that happen , but that's what I've heard them say !Now I have neighbors that are not quite as considerate ! One old guy will shoot something about twice a day , and I used to worry about it 'till another neighbor told me he shoots out his back door and there is nothing back behind his house except a large field ! LOL Life is good in rural United States !
    I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
    It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Originally posted by wardancer View Post
      I could(and have) leaned out my back door..

I choose to go out of town so the neighbors don't get quite so nervous , because it's well known that the left leaning idiots think that big scary looking guns sometimes get loose and go out and kill people ! I've never actually seen that happen , but that's what I've heard them say !

Now I have neighbors that are not quite as considerate ! One old guy will shoot something about twice a day , and I used to worry about it 'till another neighbor told me he shoots out his back door and there is nothing back behind his house except a large field ! LOL Life is good in rural United States !

LOL, if i would do that, my neighbors will get a show of the police force. . Those black clothed guys with masks and helmets of the SEK Spezial Einsatz Kommando.

LOL, the same they tell us here but we don't have a second amendment. I too have never seen a gun going out by its own, selfcock and shoot people.

What the members of the Green Party say about weapons is revealing their own characters.
      Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
      Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
      Show me, and I will understand.
      Involve me, and I will learn.”
      Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      And wisdom to know the difference.
      Living one day at a time,
      Enjoying one moment at a time,
      Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
      (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

• Yes, I went to the gas station this afternoon. At the next pump, a full rifle rack had taken a muddy green F150 out for a Sunday drive, LOL.

It used to be that Texans on the left and the right shared three things: BBQ, high school football, and the rifle range. But, we've been Californicated to such a degree that the common culture is eroding. The coastal vegans don't eat BBQ, unless it's impossible meat. The newbies take their kids to no-score soccer. And guns... H-E double toothpicks no!

Comment

• Not all of Texas ! LOL I have a brother in Austin ! He's usually out at the lease every other weekend , deciding what to shoot at, come season ! Or eliminating oinkers ! And all his children and grandchildren go with him from time to time !At least in Texas you still see trucks with rifle racks in the back window ! Around here you never see those anymore cause the thieves knew which trucks to break into ! Around here we keep them out of sight , behind the seats. Mine are all loaded and around if I need them , but they only come out if I hear things out of place. Or if I'm going out to check them before season. With the ridiculous price of ammo these days , checking sights is no more than 2 rounds and there is no warning shot ! LOL
          Hey Ol'C K.C. is getting 4 WWWhataburgers ! Maybe we'll be the new Texas !
          Last edited by wardancer; 04-25-2021, 11:08 PM.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• WD, you put a couple of owls in my path with that post. On the way to work last night, (still on the clay road) a barred owl landed right in front of me. I sat there for a minute, and eased forward a bit. He still sat there, so I ended up backing up and going around him. As I was on the edge of town, some sort of owl flew over the front of the truck. All I saw was a silhouette, so I couldn't tell what kind it was-other than fairly large.

OLC, doesn't the power company do the trees in the lines cutting? They do here. In fact, every 3 or 4 years, they go around cutting trees out of power lines. That's why our cedar tree by the drive is in such rough shape. They don't care how they cut, they just cut.

We had a very stormy night last night. It hailed, and there was an F2 tornado up around Jekyll Island. We got dumped on with about 4 inches of rain, too. The rain is fine. It's getting close to fire season, so I will appreciate the rain.
            Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Our former facilities manager made the best Canadian bacon from the feral hogs he killed on his place.

The power distribution company will cut trees on the main lines. The ones around lines to your house are your responsibility. (In Texas the company that maintains the power lines and the company that sells the consumer electricity are different. The electricity company answers to the electric consumer. The distribution company answers to the electric companies. Somewhere in this chain, a certain reshuffling of responsibilities occurs.)

After a decade of neglecting the power right of way, we had 70 mph winds. In addition to peeling off shingles all over the neighborhood, we had a short that vaporized 20 ft of power line. The power was off for 10 days.

As part fo the repair, the power distribution company cleared the entire alley for three city blocks. The companies the power company use are butchers. They so heavily applied herbicides to saplings along the fence lines that lawns and shrubs near the fences died. Within 5 years nearly every mature tree that had on the homeowner's side of the property line, for the entire block, had to be removed because they had become diseased or had died.

Glad the tornado didn't get too near you. I hope you didn't have any hail damage.
              Last edited by OLChemist; 04-27-2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post
                WD, you put a couple of owls in my path with that post. On the way to work last night, (still on the clay road) a barred owl landed right in front of me. I sat there for a minute, and eased forward a bit. He still sat there, so I ended up backing up and going around him. As I was on the edge of town, some sort of owl flew over the front of the truck. All I saw was a silhouette, so I couldn't tell what kind it was-other than fairly large.
                I did no such thing ! Creator may have wanted you to slow yer butt down for some reason ! We don't always get to know the why of it , we just need to listen to the messengers !

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• WOW. It's been a while. Glad to see that y'all are still keeping this place alive. Hope all is well with everyone!
                  CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                  sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

• We're two hours into what's going to be an exciting night. So, far one possible tornado and 4 county swath of 1" to 4" size hail.

Comment

• Please don't get blown away ! We would miss you !

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Fasten the house to the ground with rope and tent pegs, close the door and secure the windows.

I pray that you do not receive any harm.

We are having drizzle and down to 45°F.

Pollen are still tormenting me. The nose is protesting.
                        Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
                        Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• We got through down here unscathed. The really bad stuff went north of downtown. The storm laid down a band of >2" dia hail from the Parker county line through to Denton county. There is a long line of damaged roofs and torn up cars.

Our power was out for the night. A tree limb was blown down one of the alleys on to a transformer. The failure blew fuses all over the neighborhood.

I only lost sleep. I stayed up until the tornado warning was over and the storm head from the southwest weakened around 11:30 pm. Then the first < 1min outage woke me around 12:15am, setting every UPS in the house beeping. It took me a long time to relax and start to drift off to sleep. Before I was fully asleep, a second short outage woke me around 1:30 am and a third just after 2am. This time the power came back on about in about 30 secs, followed by a loud boom and the lights went back out. This happened 3 times before they stayed off. I ran around the house shutting off all the protesting UPS's and crawled back into bed with my cell phone to get any weather alerts.

Comment

• Than your tree was cut down just in time I think.

Wow, that is hail and will really damage a car.

You are having a lot of power outages in the last time. Sounds like to invest in an suplier independent home power generation with solar energy, diesel engine driven generator and enough battery capacity for three days.

With our going out of of nuclear and coal power plants I fear we will get a situation which will not be far from yours with outages. Wind and solar energy are not as reliable stable in amount for the basic load as the coal power plants.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• I'll take Texas over California. We save outages for tornados, 70mph winds, and record setting cold.

I have a close friend who is a programer. She runs a consulting business north of Sacramento. She's in Butte county, where Paradise fire occurred. After the fire, PG&E turns off the power every time the wind blows and it's dry. It's northern California; the wind blows and it is dry all the time. She had to buy an RV with a generator, so she can drive her "office" to a location with internet.

I do hope ERCOT learns from this winter, so we don't become like CA. I don't think we need to go that far to accommodate the CA refugees, LOL.

As for the home generator, I have considered a gas fired one. My friend in Shreveport has one. She was on it for two weeks after Uri. But I need a reliable car and a new roof before I can consider it.

For this storm, it appears most of the problems were in older neighborhoods with alleys. The city has abandoned most of these alleys and no longer maintain them. And no longer sends out code enforcement on blocked alley calls. It falls to the homeowners and the electric distribution company to keep them clear. In some areas, homeowners have pushed back into the alley and put up fences. blocking the old roads that granted access. Most of the fences along the property lines don't have gates.

There was a crew working in the alley across the street, clearing the section where the branches fell. They had to had to dicker with my across my street neighbors to get the gates to their backyard opened and take down a section of their alley fence to get the cut brush out, because the ends of the alley have been blocked.

When they work in the alley on my block, I get the crews through my yard. I don't have a fence around my backyard and my alley fence is only 3 ft high, with a gap where a tree used to be. They can walk through and throw brush over the fence easily. I get a backyard full of cut brush every time they clear.

Comment

• Not much new here. Heat is starting to settle in, but storms are headed this way later in the week and will take the temps down to the mid 80s.

The kiddo and his family are headed this way towards the end of the month. They've rented an airbnb house just over the line in Florida. I see surf fishing in my future. LOL! I will finally get to see the newest grandson in person. I can't wait. He'll be almost 18 months old. To say I'm looking forward to that would be the understatement of the year.
                                Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.