Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are in the fifties, early in the morning sky looking like lead now white blue shining through.

Rain is forcasted as yesterday too and there was no rain.

Enjoy your latest grandson and be happy.
    Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
    Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
    Show me, and I will understand.
    Involve me, and I will learn.”
    Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.
    Living one day at a time,
    Enjoying one moment at a time,
    Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
    (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

• is too

Originally posted by subeeds View Post
      Not much new here. Heat is starting to settle in, but storms are headed this way later in the week and will take the temps down to the mid 80s.

The kiddo and his family are headed this way towards the end of the month. They've rented an airbnb house just over the line in Florida. I see surf fishing in my future. LOL! I will finally get to see the newest grandson in person. I can't wait. He'll be almost 18 months old. To say I'm looking forward to that would be the understatement of the year.
      we just got back from Spotsylvania, Virginia. 9 months old grandson of my wife. First time she has seen him. Parents would not let her touch him. We are both vaccinated and they are not. East coast must still be cautious about virus compared to Kentucky people. I do not blame them. Wife sure wanted to hug on that little booger.

Comment

• I don't want to hear my mom tell me how I'm turning into a Texan hick! At least you can get a meal delivered in my "hick" town.

Mother's day is a holiday for layering on the guilt for living 1700 miles away. (This is by mutual agreement, since we get along best by phone.) This year I was going to get ahead of the guilt trip express. Mom has been complaining about not being able to eat out and having to cook all the time. I decided to send my mom a meal for mother's day weekend.

I've spent the last two evening and my lunch hours trying to find a restaurant in the suburb where she lives that has delivery. No Doordash, no Uber Eats, no Grubhub, Waiter, Favor or anyplace else I could think of or find online. Just about the only places in her town that have in house delivery are pizza parlors. While my kid brother would love it, my mom thinks delivery pizza is overpriced. "You can get a couple frozen pizzas for that price." Finally, I just called a couple of the nice restaurants I knew she and Dad used to go to. One of them agreed to deliver for a very generous tip.

Then came the adventure of finding something she'd eat and getting her to agree to my sending her a meal. You don't spring something like this on her. So, I started my sales pitch. After five or six rounds of "it's not worth the trouble" and "it costs too much", she comes back with a response she is sure will guilt me into silence -- "I'd rather just have dinner with you at that Brazilian steakhouse."

Said steakhouse is about 3 miles from my house. OK mom; two can play: "I can't do it this week. But, you and Lee are vaccinated. The CDC says you can travel by air, without having to isolate. Tomorrow, I'll get the plane tickets for the beginning of June. American has direct flights."

She literally dropped the phone. I haven't heard mom backtrack so quickly since she had to explain to her sister Lou why she ate Lou's take out doughnut after telling Lou not to buy her one. Finally, she says "Panera's delivers."

Score one for my side. She'll eat Panera's. They have the infrastructure that allows me to order in advance and from Texas for delivery in PA. I even padded out the family pack meal she wanted with chocolate croissants and a loaf of sourdough. She'll have Sat dinner with breakfast and enough soup and bread for lunch the next day.

*Rose does a happy dance*
        Last edited by OLChemist; 05-07-2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• It just occurred to me that my mom is just perverse enough to turn around and change her mind about the plane tickets....

The last time she was here, she must have spent a $100 taste testing the lattes at all the coffee shops. She did an Imelda Marcos at the shoe store on the corner that caters to hard to find sizes. She reorganized my house while I had my back turned. I'm still finding things in weird spots.

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
            It just occurred to me that my mom is just perverse enough to turn around and change her mind about the plane tickets....

The last time she was here, ...
            She reorganized my house while I had my back turned. I'm still finding things in weird spots.
            It doesn't matter how old we will get, we are still mothers kids.
            Mom is Mom, nothing can change it.

I got Mom a sun flower and a small brush she liked and green privacy strips for the green garden fence she wanted.

Saturday I know for sure we will stop at the garden center Peters Arcen.
            Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
            Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• I lost Pop in '98 and Mom in '99 I don't think you ever get over that. The last of my aunts left us 2 years ago , the end of that generation ! Our generation is getting up there in years. My oldest cousin is 82 and my youngest cousin is around 54 or so. Crazy how time flies !
              I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
              It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• I know what you mean. Dad passed in 2017, but there is hardly a week where I don't think "Oh, I need to call and tell dad about this." I love my mom to death, but sometimes she makes me crazy, LOL.

As for time flying, I still have these moments where I feel like I'm just pretending to be a grownup. Which is somewhat disturbing when I realize I'm just shy of a decade from retirement age, LOL.

Comment

As for time flying, I still have these moments where I feel like I'm just pretending to be a grownup. Which is somewhat disturbing when I realize I'm just shy of a decade from retirement age, LOL.

You're still a spring chickie ! If you're lucky they won't move the finish line !
                  I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                  It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• LOL, sometimes I think I am still in ym teen years when the bones tell me you are no longer that young.

As for the line to retirement, they have pushed it forward many years ago but I think I wan't go until the end.

Every time if there is something to repair in the house I think I ask dad for advice and I miss him. Same when using his tools for work. He was the much better craftsman than I am. I know what and how he did it but may hands are not his.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• There is still a kid inside us and ever so often it gets out. Maybe that is why our parents treat us like kids sometimes. I have found it does no good to ask my kids a question or try to give them advice.

Comment

• A Jet update. Yesterday he showed up for breakfast wearing a crown of downy gray feathers and a big greasy slick that smelled like fresh flea spot on his back. The mockingbird corpse on the doormat explained the feathers.

But, the flea spot is a bit of a mystery. I guess I need to go talk to the new family on the block, with the cat dishes outside. They might want to see his vet records before they re-vaccinate him, if they haven't done so already.

Comment

• Wohoo! The meal arrived. She liked almost all of it. One of the sandwiches was a caprese sandwich. She was't crazy about that. But the rest was good. She's not going to have to cook until Monday.

This also seems to have broken down a barrier. I do not believe she has ever had delivery food. She really seem to like have a meal come to her house. I told her I would order something for her again when she wanted a break. I just wish she had let me do it when she had her cataract surgery in Jan. Her sister doesn't cook and mom groused about all the McDonalds they ate while she was recovering.

Plus, my research may pay off. I found a BBQ place which will do custom meals for curbside pick up and mom passes it on her way home from church. Next event taken care of!

Comment

• Originally posted by wardancer View Post
                            I lost Pop in '98 and Mom in '99 I don't think you ever get over that. The last of my aunts left us 2 years ago , the end of that generation ! Our generation is getting up there in years. My oldest cousin is 82 and my youngest cousin is around 54 or so. Crazy how time flies !
                            Time does fly. I lost my dad in '81 and mom in '82. The last of their generation has been gone for a while now. I've got cousins pushing 90 and the youngest is probably late 40s or early 50s. We keep in touch on FB, but that's about it. We are spread out across the country from N.Y. to Cali. and places in between.
                            Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• OK, Not super optimistic here. We've been having storms all day.

There is a fleet of electric distribution company trucks outside -- two cherry pickers, a trailer full of cable, four pickup trucks and a flatbed with a transformer in front of my house. There are 5 or 6 guys in slickers having a discussion in my front yard. I have electricity, but I wonder for how long.

So many of my neighbors have porch and patio lights that they leave on all day, so you can look out the window and get a feel for how many houses don't have power. The weird thing is I can't see any houses around me or across the alley without lights.

Comment

OK, Not super optimistic here. We've been having storms all day.

There is a fleet of electric distribution company trucks outside --

So many of my neighbors have porch and patio lights that they leave on all day, so you can look out the window and get a feel for how many houses don't have power. The weird thing is I can't see any houses around me or across the alley without lights.

I don't know what way the Texan company laid out the circuits. You would normally have a circle cable separated in the middle and on both ends one transformer. If one transformer fails, you separate the defect transformer and close the cable in the middle. In this way except for a very short time, depends on the speed of the power switches in the cable circle, you may not notice. The PC without uninterruptible power supply will notice.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.