X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolbox
    replied
    WOW. It's been a while. Glad to see that y'all are still keeping this place alive. Hope all is well with everyone!

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    Originally posted by subeeds View Post
    WD, you put a couple of owls in my path with that post. On the way to work last night, (still on the clay road) a barred owl landed right in front of me. I sat there for a minute, and eased forward a bit. He still sat there, so I ended up backing up and going around him. As I was on the edge of town, some sort of owl flew over the front of the truck. All I saw was a silhouette, so I couldn't tell what kind it was-other than fairly large.
    I did no such thing ! Creator may have wanted you to slow yer butt down for some reason ! We don't always get to know the why of it , we just need to listen to the messengers !

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Our former facilities manager made the best Canadian bacon from the feral hogs he killed on his place.

The power distribution company will cut trees on the main lines. The ones around lines to your house are your responsibility. (In Texas the company that maintains the power lines and the company that sells the consumer electricity are different. The electricity company answers to the electric consumer. The distribution company answers to the electric companies. Somewhere in this chain, a certain reshuffling of responsibilities occurs.)

After a decade of neglecting the power right of way, we had 70 mph winds. In addition to peeling off shingles all over the neighborhood, we had a short that vaporized 20 ft of power line. The power was off for 10 days.

As part fo the repair, the power distribution company cleared the entire alley for three city blocks. The companies the power company use are butchers. They so heavily applied herbicides to saplings along the fence lines that lawns and shrubs near the fences died. Within 5 years nearly every mature tree that had on the homeowner's side of the property line, for the entire block, had to be removed because they had become diseased or had died.

Glad the tornado didn't get too near you. I hope you didn't have any hail damage.
    Last edited by OLChemist; 04-27-2021, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• subeeds
    replied
    WD, you put a couple of owls in my path with that post. On the way to work last night, (still on the clay road) a barred owl landed right in front of me. I sat there for a minute, and eased forward a bit. He still sat there, so I ended up backing up and going around him. As I was on the edge of town, some sort of owl flew over the front of the truck. All I saw was a silhouette, so I couldn't tell what kind it was-other than fairly large.

OLC, doesn't the power company do the trees in the lines cutting? They do here. In fact, every 3 or 4 years, they go around cutting trees out of power lines. That's why our cedar tree by the drive is in such rough shape. They don't care how they cut, they just cut.

We had a very stormy night last night. It hailed, and there was an F2 tornado up around Jekyll Island. We got dumped on with about 4 inches of rain, too. The rain is fine. It's getting close to fire season, so I will appreciate the rain.

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    Not all of Texas ! LOL I have a brother in Austin ! He's usually out at the lease every other weekend , deciding what to shoot at, come season ! Or eliminating oinkers ! And all his children and grandchildren go with him from time to time !At least in Texas you still see trucks with rifle racks in the back window ! Around here you never see those anymore cause the thieves knew which trucks to break into ! Around here we keep them out of sight , behind the seats. Mine are all loaded and around if I need them , but they only come out if I hear things out of place. Or if I'm going out to check them before season. With the ridiculous price of ammo these days , checking sights is no more than 2 rounds and there is no warning shot ! LOL
    Hey Ol'C K.C. is getting 4 WWWhataburgers ! Maybe we'll be the new Texas !
    Last edited by wardancer; 04-25-2021, 11:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Yes, I went to the gas station this afternoon. At the next pump, a full rifle rack had taken a muddy green F150 out for a Sunday drive, LOL.

It used to be that Texans on the left and the right shared three things: BBQ, high school football, and the rifle range. But, we've been Californicated to such a degree that the common culture is eroding. The coastal vegans don't eat BBQ, unless it's impossible meat. The newbies take their kids to no-score soccer. And guns... H-E double toothpicks no!

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Originally posted by wardancer View Post
    I could(and have) leaned out my back door..

I choose to go out of town so the neighbors don't get quite so nervous , because it's well known that the left leaning idiots think that big scary looking guns sometimes get loose and go out and kill people ! I've never actually seen that happen , but that's what I've heard them say !

Now I have neighbors that are not quite as considerate ! One old guy will shoot something about twice a day , and I used to worry about it 'till another neighbor told me he shoots out his back door and there is nothing back behind his house except a large field ! LOL Life is good in rural United States !

LOL, if i would do that, my neighbors will get a show of the police force. . Those black clothed guys with masks and helmets of the SEK Spezial Einsatz Kommando.

LOL, the same they tell us here but we don't have a second amendment. I too have never seen a gun going out by its own, selfcock and shoot people.

What the members of the Green Party say about weapons is revealing their own characters.

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    Well , technically I don't HAVE to go anywhere to shoot ! LOL There's no ordinance against it ! I could(and have) leaned out my back door to rid us of wild creatures that wander in where they don't need to be , such as raccoons , possums , foxes , and coyotes , oh and the occasional armadillo ! ( I usually just go chase them off cause I like to watch them hop !) I choose to go out of town so the neighbors don't get quite so nervous , because it's well known that the left leaning idiots think that big scary looking guns sometimes get loose and go out and kill people ! I've never actually seen that happen , but that's what I've heard them say !Now I have neighbors that are not quite as considerate ! One old guy will shoot something about twice a day , and I used to worry about it 'till another neighbor told me he shoots out his back door and there is nothing back behind his house except a large field ! LOL Life is good in rural United States !

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Yes, thankfully the tree came out without any problems. My prayers that day were: no one gets hurt and nothing happens to my neighbor's house. The only real risk to my house was damage to the service drop. It that had gone, I would have needed to replace the breaker box and panel and have a bunch of rewiring done before I could reconnect. My wiring was to code in 1995 when the house was rewired, but building codes have changed and outside service panels, like mine, aren't allowed anymore.

We've had unseasonably cold weather too. We set a record low on Weds morning -- 34F. We had frost. Normally by the end of April, we're in the upper 70's or lower 80's in the afternoons. But, we have barely made the low 70's this week. My heater is running right this moment. Usually, I have it shut off by the last week of April.

Jet left most of his breakfast in the bowl this morning. A new family moved in two doors down. He's been sucking up to their little girl; now there are a pair of cat bowls on the front stoop. I think she was up before I was this morning. Jet ambled, rather than ran, across the street this morning and was licking gravy off his chops. There is no way my kibble will compete with wet food. But, Jet's orange compatriots were feeling peckish.

Still, a couple Tbsps of food are left. Every mocking bird and blue jay in a 2 mile radius is flying up on to the porch to steal food. The Siamese princess is coming unglued. Ever since the day the back door blew open and she got out to catch (and release in the kitchen) a bird at the neighbor's feeder, she has been craving a game bird. Since I won't order her a few smoked quail from the BBQ place, she's realized she'll have to do it herself.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
    Well, the tree is down. Just in time.

Boy, I'm freezing. It's cold in the house.
    I am relieved that the tree was cut without damage to the house and as it seems damage to the power line.

It is an unusually cold April this year. Still freezing in the night. Not good for the blooming flowers and trees. Have three bushes ore small trees in buckets falling victim to the freezing. Most probably in combination with last summer. My yew hedge has suffered too.

Instead of cooling still heating. Well I don't have cooling only heating and if temperatures get up, the attic rooms will get quite hot.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Originally posted by wardancer View Post
    Well , for a bow I can just go outside ! About anywhere , just avoid the horses and dogs.......and cats ! LOL

For a rifle or pistol I have to go about a mile and my friend has farmland. As long as I don't mess with the crop growing I have access to about 4500 acres of my choice ! There is an old rock quarry behind a field that I like as it's all flat inside and about 15 feet deep and probably 10-15 acres. No chance for bullets to go out of the shooting area. All limestone floor and just has some sandy dirt on top of the stone , so it's easy to walk on and plenty of straight areas to get out to 3-400 yards !
    Well, as long as avoiding to hit animals and people, you can do bow shooting over here in the garden, on the fields and in the woods but I guarantee you, many do not know that it is legal and perhaps many of the cops don't know too. I have only 200 sqm and if I put a target in my garage, well, 5m distance which would be enough for training release.

Sigh, such a shooting range I know from Italy, the Czech Republic
    and military ranges in Germany. Even if it would be allowed, in the region where I live it will be difficult to find places to do so safe. Much less space and to many people over here. 1650 per 1 skm. Total inhabitants of my city about 227.417 on 138 sqkm.

I have to drive 53 km for a range up to 100m and about 350 km for range up to 300m.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Hey, WD how's Eyes?

Well, the tree is down. Just in time. We're supposed to have bad storms today -- large hail, high wind, and potential tornados. When they cut into the branch that was over the neighbor's roof, they discovered it was hollow. I had wondered, when it didn't put our leaves until a couple weeks after the rest of the tree.

Boy, I'm freezing. It's cold in the house. This is the time of year when I'm supposed to be wrestling with my northern raised soul and trying not to start the AC in April. This year, we've only had one day where the house got to 74F. They're supposed to do the pre-season AC check on Monday. I hope it's warm enough for them to test it.

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    Well , as an update , LOL , the power didn't come back on until a few minutes before midnight ! LOL I laugh because everyone else had power a half hour earlier than us ! It turns out those transformer fuses that blew were the ones on our transformer ! They had tried to turn the power on around 4 and blew a bunch of stuff around town , not just ours. Then worked the next several hours running around town fixing what they screwed up !I went up to where they were working about 11 and told them we were still out and all our neighbors had power ! LOL When they came to look the guys says "you've got lights" LOL I said "I have 2 coleman lanterns going for light and a generator running a sump pump and the furnace."! So it took about 2 minutes to find the issue and 20 or so to fix it ! What a day ! Hope everyone is doing better !

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    Speaking of power lines.......our power has been off all day ! The power company is installing new transformers for the city ! It's been out all day. We went to a nearby town and treated ourselves to a meal at Applebys, which was really quite nice ! We haven't eaten out anywhere for over a year and then some !
    Any way I think they are about done as I've heard at least 2 times a transformer fuse blow , which sounds like a shotgun going off ! I'm guessing they're not quite done yet ! LOL
    I think it's nap time ! Laterzzz

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    If my nerves survive this morning, it will be a minor miracle. They are taking that tree out. It's killing me. But it was going fall if I left it. But see those guys climbing around up there with the power lines, is nerve wracking.

I don't think today is going to be a productive day in my home office. I keep stopping to pray every few minutes. I'm so scared someone could get hurt.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.