No announcement yet.

Where were U when the mountain blew???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where were U when the mountain blew???

It's the 25th anniversary of the erupution of Mount St Helens and the folks all around here are asking the question...

Where were you when the mountain blew?

I'd like to know from all of you.... where were you on May 18, 1980?

Myself and my family - We were about 20 miles to the west of here, secure at home, asleep in bed. The mountain did not affect us as much as it did some folks in our area... just disrupted travel and events for a few weeks. We all had to wear dust masks to prevent damage from breathing the ash that came on the 25th... but on the 18th the we were upwind of the mountain.

The shocker came when I enlisted and went active duty in '83 - no one in other parts of the country knew that the "devastation" wasn't as widespread as they'd seen in the news... once it happened the media neglected to give positive updates to the rest of the country!

OK it's your turn - <B>Where were you when the mountain blew?</B>
    "Liberty is the one thing you can't have unless you give it to others."
    ~ Wm A White

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
    some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
    some have weird names, & all different colors,
    but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon

I can't remember yesterday much less 25 year's ago...lol...
    BUT, bein how I am on the East coast, you are right, the media didn't make it seem that important in this area other than the fact that it blew... or it could be that this is how I remeber it because I was only 12. Either way, I am glad your family was safe.
    90% Angel
    10% Lil Devil

But I've been told it's the other way around!

Comment

On my way to Spokane, WA...We came out of Fred Meyers late evening and it was raining "dirt"... I remember seeing the ash cloud and it looked like a rain storm headed to the east...We didn't know it blew up that day...

*Oh yeah, my mom was taking me to get the new VAN HALEN tape, "Women and Children First". We got my birthday present and the reason why I was out in Spokane, WA.
      Last edited by Ndnsoldierboy; 05-18-2005, 07:49 PM.
      sigpic
      R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

I remeber when Mt St.Helens Blew... we could see the ash in the sky here.. it was thick... I even had a lil jar of the ash from helen site area,... think My auntie sent it or sumthing.

Amazing & Scarey

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

i dunno...i was 5

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
          When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

i was still in the hospital from being born a premie... :)
            Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

~Flat Beat~

Comment

I was staying with my dad in Seattle. We were upwind too and didn't get any ash at all. In fact we bought a little bottle later on.

But it was on the TV all day and it was just awesome watching the ash continue to billow into the atmosphere for HOURS!!

Then driving home later in the summer I was wondering why there was all this dirty snow piled along the freeways. Took me awhile to realize it was 90 degrees out and that was the ash.

I think they got dusted in WYoming but that's about it.
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

I was in Post Falls Idaho.......funny I tought it was dirty snow too, piled up on the freeway on our way to Spokane.....lol. I remeber that all our cars had ash all over them and we would have to wash them before we drove.....so we could see out the window
                Last edited by ndnkidz_5; 05-18-2005, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Where Were You When.......................

Originally posted by SingingDeer
                  It's the 25th anniversary of the erupution of Mount St Helens and the folks all around here are asking the question...

Where were you when the mountain blew?

I'd like to know from all of you.... where were you on May 18, 1980?

Myself and my family - We were about 20 miles to the west of here, secure at home, asleep in bed. The mountain did not affect us as much as it did some folks in our area... just disrupted travel and events for a few weeks. We all had to wear dust masks to prevent damage from breathing the ash that came on the 25th... but on the 18th the we were upwind of the mountain.

The shocker came when I enlisted and went active duty in '83 - no one in other parts of the country knew that the "devastation" wasn't as widespread as they'd seen in the news... once it happened the media neglected to give positive updates to the rest of the country!

OK it's your turn - <B>Where were you when the mountain blew?</B>

I heard a lot of commotion at the apartment complex we were at, a few people screaming the mountain blew it's top, the mountain blew, anyway finally turning the tv- KIMA on they announced for everyone to stay indoors due to the ash dust on it's way, so at 12pm it was pitch black and I started to hear the chickens or roosters crow around, we just had to drive to see how my mom and sisters were in Wapato because we were in Toppenish and the visibility was terrible!!! Couldn't see which side of the freeway you were on or even the car in front of you, but my mom & sisters were ok, we didn't crash or anything but the day was a pretty wild experience for me, I never seen anything like that and my then 10 month old baby girl, Shannon didn't even know what was going on, it was hard to keep the ash out of the car, so fine and blew everywhere. Today is a day to remember, I pray for the people who lost their lives though. Nature is truly a Wonder!
                  [FONT=Garamond]RainbowDreamer

Comment

We could see the top of the plume from the house at that time... today the trees on the property across the road have been cut and there is a clear view of the mountain today. Somewhere I have a photo of Mt St Helens from that house, but if you want to see some other photos of the mountain you can visit my website... I have some photos in this section: www.refinerofgold.com/geology/default.htm
                    "Liberty is the one thing you can't have unless you give it to others."
                    ~ Wm A White

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
                    some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
                    some have weird names, & all different colors,
                    but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon

Comment

Originally posted by ~Brown Eyed Gurl~
                      i dunno...i was 5
                      Prolly already snagging and kicking a***s too, dude.

Comment

i think i was in calgary.....

Comment

Originally posted by badmaninc
                          Prolly already snagging and kicking a***s too, dude.

Pshh..lol.....hi Bad

*Kalilsha*

Comment

pshh i wasnt even a sperm....LOL jkz..i was born in 87...
                            (¯`·._.·`*CeDaR RoSe*`·._.·´¯)

Comment

U Nut!

*Kalilsha*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.