X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oneidagirl22
    replied
    geeeez

i still cant believe that poor gurl is 10 & thinkin bout that. i remember @ 10 i thought boyz still had cooties & i wanted 2 beet em up. it juss blows my mind that she thinks she is "ready" 2 b a mother. its scary the things youth come up w/nowadayz.

Leave a comment:

• tradish_wiyan
    replied
    That is just SAD!!!! A ten year old shouldn't be wanting to start a family. She should baby-sit a child before she starts wanting to have a baby of her own. Gee, life is too short to bring a child into this world...ESPECIALLY when she is a child herself!!

Leave a comment:

• SingingDeer
    replied
    Good for you

Originally posted by oneidagirl22
    i juss turned 17 & tha thought of havin a child is frightning. i dont see y ne 1 would want a kid this young. i hav 2 much goin on & i luv bein a teen 2 much 2 give all that up. plus id luv 2 live a lil b4 i decide im responsible enuff that i can raise a child. wow, guess theres a lot of diff views out there.
    I'm glad to see there are still some gals out there smart enough to wait

Leave a comment:

• oneidagirl22
    replied
    geez!!!!!!!

i juss turned 17 & tha thought of havin a child is frightning. i dont see y ne 1 would want a kid this young. i hav 2 much goin on & i luv bein a teen 2 much 2 give all that up. plus id luv 2 live a lil b4 i decide im responsible enuff that i can raise a child. wow, guess theres a lot of diff views out there.

Leave a comment:

• SingingDeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruby 2sday
    I work with youth at a rez about twenty minutes from where I live I've been called "weird" because at 24 I have no kids and the kids keep asking me when I'm going to have one. I told them it's not weird and told them my reasons why I chose to try and plan it.

The past few years I've been wishing but know I have to finish school first I've talked with mothers in school and they told me to get it done before the kids come because it's much easier. I'll be done next year and getting married next summer then I think I'd be ready. When I first start dating my man I went to meet his family and one of the first questions I was asked was if I had any kids. I don't know what I'm trying to say just that it seems to have become the norm.

I don't want to pass judgement and make a general statement about all teen mothers because some take the responsibility of being a parent while others dump the kids off on whomever so they can socialize, etc... I think that if any young teen girl wants to be sexually active they need to get on the pill (it's free at hospitals on the rez that's where I get mine) and use condoms because there's so much disease out there! But I can't believe a 10 year old was seriously thinking of having one!! I'd give my nieces an earful of lecture if I ever heard them say anything like that LOL
    You have time to think about it yet Ruby 2sday... and don't let those folks bother you about not wanting kids just yet. If and when you are ready you will know that. If you choose not to, you have that right to.... if you have pets, just tell them that you're pets are your "children."

I was not ready for children and I was weary of folks asking my when I would have kids... it made my life miserable trying to explain to them - "it's not for me." When I did become pregnant, I wasn't ready even then (and I was on the pill at the time!). Only after my daughter was born did I realize that it would be a grave mistake for me to have any more.

I raised my daughter for the 1st 3 years of her life, then her father came and took her away with a line of b******t a thousand miles long.... that is what I always refer to him as the "X" - I do not claim him. He is the main reason my daughter became pregnant as a teenager.

The only advice I can give you is to take things one step at a time... make each decision when you are ready if you can... and if you choose to wait ~ more power to ya girl!

As for babies wanting to have babies.... I just shake my head. they don't have a clue what they want to get into.

Leave a comment:

• chazziff
    replied
    it is totally the parents responsiblity - to either educate their children on safer sex, giving them advice (i've already talked to my 10 and 8 year old about sex, what some men/boys will say to get them to have sex (the ol' standby "i love you, baby") and the warning signs of an abuser/abusive relationship.

i was never told this by my parents just learned from experience - had my first when i was 21 and i am still with her dad.

seems like all my sisters had kids by the time they were 16/17 and i seen them struggle threw university and being poor because the dads were no where to be seen or having abusive spouses...i don't want that for my daughters. but i've also told them if they do have a baby when they are young that it will be their responsibility not me or their dad...but we will give them support.

it really irks me to see these young parents out and about WITHOUT their kids (maybe making more babies!!) or (grand)parents that buy everything for the baby and then the teen parent has no idea how much everything REALLY costs...

Leave a comment:

• injunboy
    replied
    if you can actually visualize "babies making babies" you need to go check yourself in jail or something, haha

Leave a comment:

• Ruby 2sday
    replied
    the norm

Last edited by Roobz; 08-28-2007, 02:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ac_miss
    replied
    All my female friends/relatives that I hung out with during high school all became young mothers with the exception of me. Most of them were from 2 parent families who were strict about certain things. But one thing that was lacking was the talk about sex and the consequences.

Leave a comment:

• nativegal
    replied
    I really can't say too much about this cause I was pregnant, only about 2 months, when I graduated from high school, and had my son right before my 19th birthday. I was one of those kids growing up that wanted a baby at a early age until I had one. I was really scared and thank god mom was there to support me cause the daddy wasn't and still is not to this day and that baby is now 7 years old. I have been with the same guy for 6 years now and he is the "dad" to my little boy and treats his as his own. I mean don't get me wrong I love both of my kids...... but as the many sayings your parents tell you and they thought you never listened........i wish I would have waited. I never really got to experience my young adulthood. I went from high school straight to parenthood. I have always told the fellas off of my honey's drum group that any time they want a kid, they can gladley borrow either one of mine. They know how my kids are wild as with any kids so they change their minds real quick!!!

Leave a comment:

• ~pathwalker~
    replied
    this is just a cute story from a fellow "MOM"

I was giving my kids a few cookies, and as usual, my 7 year-old
    daughter scarfed hers really fast. My 9 year-old daughter is
    slow and still had a couple left. My 4 year-old son was eating
    his in another room.

"Can I have some more?" asked the 7-year-old.

"Nope," I said. "You should slow down and enjoy them."

"I do enjoy them," she said. "That's why I eat them so fast."

I smiled and patted her on the head. She always surprises me
    with her ability to express herself.

"I wish I was her," she said pointing to my other daughter...
    "well, I don't really want to be her. I just want her cookies."

I gave a hearty laugh and turned to their mother. "I just know
    she's going to be a politician."

Leave a comment:

• MishkomekinaakIkwe
    replied
    Yeah I wanted to say something to her mom, but like a few of you said-its the parent(s) "fault". I share the same view. So I didn't want to go & offend her & I could see by their interaction (or lack of) it just wasn't....well I'll say it didn't look or feel like the relationship I have with my kids. And if that was the case, I would be having a conversation with an unhealthy person-which is useless...Like trying to talk a drunk- drunk into treatment! Useless.. So I told her as much as I could from my own experience. Being a young, single mom is HARD! I'm not forgetting the single dads either. You fellas ROCK! I know three single dads & their awesome. Two of the dads have 4 kids! And the other guy has one baby. One or Four? Its rough!

Leave a comment:

• middle of the sky
    replied
    "I GUESS I WAS JUST POSTING TO POST"

nooo not you begs... im a young grandma at 29

Leave a comment:

• *KaLiLsHa*
    replied
    I HAD MY FIRST WHEN I WAS 17....I MOVED OUT CUS I WANTED TO B ALL ADULT, MY MOM WANTED ME TO STAY HOME WITH HER BUT SHE HAS NEVER TOLD ME WHAT TO DO....MY FATHER WAS VERY STRICT...BUT EVEN HE ACCEPTED THE PREGNANCY AND IM GLAD I HAD THEM THEN, MY PARENTS ARE 51 AND 61...AND MY KIDS ARE 12 AND 10 AND 3...MY GRANNY DIED WHEN I WAS 10 MY OTHER DIED WHEN I WAS 14....MY KIDS WILL HAVE THEIR GRANDPARENTS AROUND FOR ANOTHER 10-15 YRS WELL HOPEFULLY....THEY HAVE EATING HABITS AS BAD AS I DO...UMM I DONT HAVE A POINT LOL I GUESS I WAS JUST POSTING TO POST

Leave a comment:

• SingingDeer
    replied
    Yikes! I'd have been scared for her too!

My daughter was 16 and living with her dad, but she felt she needed love... long story short - she got pregnant, but she weighed all the decisions carefully and decided that she needed to finish school and that she wanted to give her little boy the best chance he could have... she gave him up for adoption and she knows the adoptive parents... they call it an "open adoption" so that he can contact her when he's old enough and ready.... he'll be 2 next Mon. She wanted to do what was best for him and not necessarily for her... after all how could she provide for him at her age.... never mind that none of her parents/step-parents/grandparents could afford to help her financially either. She decided after all the events were through that she wasn't going to make that mistake again and the next time would be a keeper and under more ideal circumstances... preferrably within a marriage and not as a single mom.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.