Ebay Whistle.......Real or Not?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebay whistle

Hi black bear,I checked the whistle and it looks like they tryed to make it like one you use for sundance.(Please forgive me for saying this out loud) I know that around here in the N.W. area a pow wow whistle is diff then sundance and we are taught that a sundance one ism for that purpose only and should not be used on the pow wow floor .I have one that I use for pow wow and I made it from a turkey bone.I don't know what the ways are back there but out here when a dancer blows it on the drum the door is opened to the creator For various prayers .Some of the commities around here ask that we try to refrain from blowing a whistle during comp songs ,I have seen a couple blown during intertribe's and I personaly enjoy this as it gives us a chance to pray longer and dance longer during these songs. Again please forgive me if I've offened anyone with these word's. I do know that some bead shops sell the cast one's for a good price and I kind of feel that maybe this person might give a second thought about what they are putting out there on line,I've heard that with some tribe's a turkey whistle was used in certain cermonies to blees diff thing's and I've also heard that they where some time's used during battle too. Maybe some one should speak with person and ask them NOT to SELL this kind of stuff on line.
    Paul Flores
    " MY RICE CRISPYS TALK TO ME"

Comment

If it was a real eagle whistle it probably would have been confiscated already by customs.

I have mine and it was given to me cause I went to a couple wars and came back. Mine was given to me by my great uncle who is a WW II vet. Semper Fi.
      sigpic
      R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

Not sure what you mean by back there... LOL I'm UP HERE in Alaska Paul.

I already said it's not a custom with my tribe.. but what I know about the whistle is what I've been told by Osage and Otoe indians... but if you want to know more or ask more I'd suggest looking through the northern dancing thread for posts on it and in the archives cause I know there's been quite a bit of discussion on it...
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.