No announcement yet.

White Buffalo Born at Kentucky Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are obsessed with those trains! seek help imediately! Just Kidding WPD!
    90% Angel
    10% Lil Devil

But I've been told it's the other way around!

Comment

Thanks for the story.I wood like to see a white buffalo someday.

Comment

Does anyone have info on the 3 white buff that were in SD but moved? I heard they went to Flagstaff.

Comment

white buffalo calf born in KY

Posted on Mon, Jul. 04, 2005
          Indians honor arrival of sacred white buffalo
          RARE CALF'S BIRTH SIGNALS CELEBRATION OF PEACE AND UNITY

By Steve Ivey

HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER
          BAGDAD - The birth of a white buffalo calf is to many Native Americans what the coming of the Messiah would be to Christians.
          So, Native Americans from many Indian nations held a sacred Lakota ceremony yesterday to name Medicine Heart, born June 3 at Buffalo Crossing in Shelby County. Its Lakota name is Cante Pejuta.
          Steve McCullough, a Lakota Shawnee from Indiana, led the 90-minute ceremony that also thanked the Lakotas' creator for the gift.
          "The white buffalo calf is still very sacred to us today," McCullough said. "It's still a part of our tradition. That's why we wanted to come when we heard about her birth."
          According to Lakota tradition, a spiritual being called the White Buffalo Calf Woman came to the Lakota 19 generations ago to bring them their beliefs and traditions, including how to use the holy pipe and how to pray.
          Other tribes also believe in the spirituality of the white buffalo calf, McCullough said.
          "This ceremony brings unity, peace and hope," he said. "It's for all nationalities -- red, yellow, black and white."

Deborah Hennessey of Jeffersonville has attended other naming ceremonies for white calves in South Dakota and Arizona.

"It's all very spiritual to me," she said. "I feel I'm part Native American, if not in blood then in spirit."

Men sat around a drum while some of the Native Americans performed prayer songs. At the end of the ceremony, several of the 200 spectators tied prayer flags and other offerings around the fence to honor the buffalo calf.

Other buffalo calves born at his ranch had patches of white on their legs and chests, but Medicine Heart is the first fully white calf, said Buffalo Crossing owner Bob Allen. McCullough presented Allen's wife, Julie, with a blanket as a gift.

The calf is the granddaughter of another Buffalo Crossing celebrity, bull Chief Joseph. Allen purchased Chief Joseph in Denver for $101,000, the highest price ever for a buffalo, he said.

Chief Joseph was struck by lightning Sept. 11, 2003, and died a couple weeks later, Allen said.

Having a white calf makes his ranch unique, Allen said.

"I've heard (white calves) are about one in a million. Whatever the stats are, it's pretty amazing."

Bob Pickering, a white buffalo expert in Cody, Wyo., said his research shows the incidence of white buffaloes at about 16 per million.

The last white buffalo born was Miracle in Wisconsin nine years ago, Pickering said.

"When she got her first winter coat, it came in black," he said. "After that shed, her coat was reddish and yellowish. White, black, red and yellow are the sacred colors for the Lakota, so this one was really special."

Allen said he has received several offers to buy his calf, but he said he has no plans to sell.

"I think we're going to hang on to her," he said.

Comment

Does anyone know this McCullough guy?

Comment

[QUOTE=~pathwalker~][/QUOTE
              WOW!!!
              "Riches from the heart can not be stolen."

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.