• Dakota Wica'hpi Ina
    replied
    white buffalo calf born in KY

Posted on Mon, Jul. 04, 2005
    Indians honor arrival of sacred white buffalo
    RARE CALF'S BIRTH SIGNALS CELEBRATION OF PEACE AND UNITY

By Steve Ivey

HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER
    BAGDAD - The birth of a white buffalo calf is to many Native Americans what the coming of the Messiah would be to Christians.
    So, Native Americans from many Indian nations held a sacred Lakota ceremony yesterday to name Medicine Heart, born June 3 at Buffalo Crossing in Shelby County. Its Lakota name is Cante Pejuta.
    Steve McCullough, a Lakota Shawnee from Indiana, led the 90-minute ceremony that also thanked the Lakotas' creator for the gift.
    "The white buffalo calf is still very sacred to us today," McCullough said. "It's still a part of our tradition. That's why we wanted to come when we heard about her birth."
    According to Lakota tradition, a spiritual being called the White Buffalo Calf Woman came to the Lakota 19 generations ago to bring them their beliefs and traditions, including how to use the holy pipe and how to pray.
    Other tribes also believe in the spirituality of the white buffalo calf, McCullough said.
    "This ceremony brings unity, peace and hope," he said. "It's for all nationalities -- red, yellow, black and white."

Deborah Hennessey of Jeffersonville has attended other naming ceremonies for white calves in South Dakota and Arizona.

"It's all very spiritual to me," she said. "I feel I'm part Native American, if not in blood then in spirit."

Men sat around a drum while some of the Native Americans performed prayer songs. At the end of the ceremony, several of the 200 spectators tied prayer flags and other offerings around the fence to honor the buffalo calf.

Other buffalo calves born at his ranch had patches of white on their legs and chests, but Medicine Heart is the first fully white calf, said Buffalo Crossing owner Bob Allen. McCullough presented Allen's wife, Julie, with a blanket as a gift.

The calf is the granddaughter of another Buffalo Crossing celebrity, bull Chief Joseph. Allen purchased Chief Joseph in Denver for $101,000, the highest price ever for a buffalo, he said.

Chief Joseph was struck by lightning Sept. 11, 2003, and died a couple weeks later, Allen said.

Having a white calf makes his ranch unique, Allen said.

"I've heard (white calves) are about one in a million. Whatever the stats are, it's pretty amazing."

Bob Pickering, a white buffalo expert in Cody, Wyo., said his research shows the incidence of white buffaloes at about 16 per million.

The last white buffalo born was Miracle in Wisconsin nine years ago, Pickering said.

"When she got her first winter coat, it came in black," he said. "After that shed, her coat was reddish and yellowish. White, black, red and yellow are the sacred colors for the Lakota, so this one was really special."

Allen said he has received several offers to buy his calf, but he said he has no plans to sell.

"I think we're going to hang on to her," he said.

Leave a comment:

• Dakota Wica'hpi Ina
    replied
    Does anyone have info on the 3 white buff that were in SD but moved? I heard they went to Flagstaff.

Leave a comment:

• janet
    replied
    Thanks for the story.I wood like to see a white buffalo someday.

Leave a comment:

• ~pathwalker~
    replied
    You are obsessed with those trains! seek help imediately! Just Kidding WPD!

Leave a comment:

• White Powwow Dancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Historian
    WPD,
    I don't know the exact figure, but the article says the calf weighed between 40 and 50 lbs.
    I found some info about a full grown bison can weight up to 1 ton. A locomotive can weight in at 500 tons.

Leave a comment:

• ~pathwalker~
    replied
    I know, that is where I got it from, I love Mystical!
    but I thought Timber was saying that they didnt exist AT ALL, so I posted it.

So now back to my question, have you gone to see it yet?

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by ~pathwalker~
    They DO exist! For realz! lol... J/K Hey Historian, have you gone to see it in real life?
    Not yet, but I plan on going to see the calf the beginning of next week, and bring some prayer flags. It's only about 3 hours away.

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by White Powwow Dancer
    Historian
    how much do the buffalo weight in at?
    WPD,
    I don't know the exact figure, but the article says the calf weighed between 40 and 50 lbs.

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by ~pathwalker~
    Pathwalker,
    Although this is a great photo of a live white buffalo calf, it is not the one just born in Kentucky. This photo is actually the white buffalo calf called "Mystical", born on May 5, 2003 at the Big Sky Buffalo Ranch in Granville, North Dakota. For more info on it, go to their website at: http://www.bigskybuffalo.com/mystical.htm

Leave a comment:

• ~pathwalker~
    replied
    They DO exist! For realz! lol... J/K Hey Historian, have you gone to see it in real life?

Leave a comment:

• White Powwow Dancer
    replied
    Historian
    how much do the buffalo weight in at?

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by timber
    Happen to see a picture of this white baby buffalo ? Not saying that white buffalo don't exist, but knowing the reputation of that particular newspaper, and knowing some people will try anything for a buck in advertising,would like to have a more reliable sourse as to actual existance of this, maybe the 6 o'clock news with film and a vet standing there live on cam with same baby bufalo saying it true, or putting my own actual eyeball on this Miracle of Nature.
    Photo caption: The white buffalo calf stood with her mother yesterday (June 6th) at the Buffalo Crossing Restaurant & Family Fun Ranch in Shelby County. (BY MICHAEL CLEVENGER, THE COURIER-JOURNAL)

To see the story online, including photo, go to:
    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...WS01/506070407
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ~pathwalker~
    replied
    Timber...

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.