Need advice for coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice for coaching

Hello to everybody on here. I need some advice for a bunch of ndn lacrosse players that I coach. We just completed a game tonight. We won 14-8. Problem was that our team was subjected to a bunch of racial slurs about being ndns. You know the usual, go back to the reserve, chugs, drunken ndn and the like. The players are all 14-15. They got all pi**** off and started taking stupid retaliation penalties. I told them after the game that they have to play smarter than that and to walk away from the ignorant comments. Young people in general don't see the big picture of the opposition being petty and that they need to be bigger people. I was really upset and wanted to kill the coach but we have to set an example to the players as human beings. This is the fourth time we played them this year and it is only getting worse. I explained to them that we have beat them everytime and that is why they do it. Young people don't understand it is because the opposition's racial slurs is all they have because we have beat them. I need to be able to help these young players because it is going to get worse when they get older. I need advice and not a bunch of platitudes. I remember being young like this and getting all mad and swearing around but that gets old and it lowers us to their level. Anybody got any good words.

Just one question...Where's your mom when you need her?!!!! j/k dude!

On a serious note. Recently, a 13 yr old baseball player was being ridiculed by an opposing player after the game in Palmdale, CA. Hit the kid in the head with a bat and killed him. Now he's being charged with murder. It's my opinion that it is the coach's responsibility to request a meeting with league officials/coaches to discuss this issue. I wonder what those people, who don't think racism exists, think after reading about something like this happening to our children?

Oh yeah. Hope your kids beat the next team by the score of 28-8!
    Last edited by Joe's Dad; 06-11-2005, 03:22 AM.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

We ran into a similar problem at a state youth bowling tournament several years ago with some whites being racist to my black bowlers. We reported it to the tournament officials and that team got kicked out of the tourneament. I'm sure if you report their actions, heck you could probably get it on video tape even, the
      lacrosse league officals would punish them in some way. Have the parents of your players file complaints with the league too.
      In the meantime, keep urgeing your players to be the better people and now lower themseleves to the other teams lower than a snake bellies level. IF your players act like ladies and gentlemen while haveing racial slurs thrown at them they will come out the winners in the long run.
      Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad

On a serious note. Recently, a 13 yr old baseball player was being ridiculed by an opposing player after the game in Palmdale, CA. Hit the kid in the head with a bat and killed him. Now he's being charged with murder. It's my opinion that it is the coach's responsibility to request a meeting with league officials/coaches to discuss this issue. I wonder what those people, who don't think racism exists, think after reading about something like this happening to our children?

One of the coaches on our team met with the other coach and referees between periods. The other coach said he hadn't heard anything but would address it with his players. The ref said he would listen for it and call a misconduct if he heard it. It was horrible because one of our players became so enraged he took a 5 minute major penalty for crosschecking in the last 10 minutes of the game and consequently he will be required to sit for a game. After the game I went to the coach and told him which players on his team were making the comments. He returned saying that his players denied making any comments. The ironic thing is this tournament is a memorial tournament for a player from our association who died of lukemia a few years ago; He was an Aboriginal person. I asked the coach why they would come to this tournament and behave like this. If they hated our kids this much why would you want to come to this tournament. His face showed complete shame and he apologized perfusely and said he would talk to his team. I was so p*****.

Comment

Originally posted by badmaninc
          One of the coaches on our team met with the other coach and referees between periods. The other coach said he hadn't heard anything but would address it with his players. The ref said he would listen for it and call a misconduct if he heard it. It was horrible because one of our players became so enraged he took a 5 minute major penalty for crosschecking in the last 10 minutes of the game and consequently he will be required to sit for a game. After the game I went to the coach and told him which players on his team were making the comments. He returned saying that his players denied making any comments. The ironic thing is this tournament is a memorial tournament for a player from our association who died of lukemia a few years ago; He was an Aboriginal person. I asked the coach why they would come to this tournament and behave like this. If they hated our kids this much why would you want to come to this tournament. His face showed complete shame and he apologized perfusely and said he would talk to his team. I was so p*****.
          Keep going up the ladder until you either get to the top or something gets done about it! When we had the problem the coach was leading the kids in the racial slurs.

Comment

Update: We won the gold medal game today 9-5. It was cool, we were down 5-4 at the end of the second period and scored 5 unanswered goals in the third. The other team tried to goad our players into fights and even bulldogged a player to the floor. Our team stayed disciplined though and didn't retaliate once. The other team was played shorthanded for almost 11 minutes of the third period.

What is kind of terrible though is that the other team was shorthanded because they had a brawl in a game last night that got them into the gold medal game. They were being bullies to the team that they beat. The other team and most of the other teams were cheering for our team, as were their fans. I believe they wanted to see if this team was going to try and bully their way to the gold. We have probably 8-9 players who are ndn. The other half of the team are complexion challenged. The parents of the complexion challenged kids liked the fact their sons had our kids on their team. They all believe that our kids have this innate ability to fight. Some were afraid that without our kids they would have gotten hurt. Course most of them do though so that's a double edged sword. I was impressed with the coach of the opposing team, one of his players was ejected for giving the Trudeau salute to our fans. At the end of the game he told the player that he was no longer part of his team, he did not have time for classless acts on his squad. It was cool, the arena was packed must've been around a 1,000 people and probably half was from our reserves. The players loved playing in front of that many people.

Comment

CONGRATS TO UR TEAM BAD

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
              When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

Update: We won the gold medal game today 9-5. It was cool, we were down 5-4 at the end of the second period and scored 5 unanswered goals in the third. The other team tried to goad our players into fights and even bulldogged a player to the floor. Our team stayed disciplined though and didn't retaliate once. The other team was played shorthanded for almost 11 minutes of the third period.

Congrats on the Win Bad..

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

Racism in youth sports

The first year soccer came to the Cherokee Indian Reservation (2000), I was asked to coach a 5-7 year old team. At the time, we were playing games off the reservation in a border town called Bryson City, NC. We didn't have enough teams here to have our own league so we took our teams over there and played with them. There were things said like that at each of our games, but it was especially bad during the championship game, which our team was in and won. It didn't surprise me as Bryson City is a sludge-infested little redneck craphole, but it's hard to get over all this for a pee wee soccer game.

It got really bad the next year when we took a 8-10 year old team to the championship. The refs were all from Bryson City and really called a horrible game. Somehow one of our players tripped someone up when he was 25 yards away. Our player got a yellow card. Another yellow card was issued on one of our players who was tying his shoe and a member of the other team tripped over him. Ran right into him, and our player got the card. Well, we lost that game, but only because they disallowed two of our goals for offsides (which we weren't on either). One of the parents was a tribal cop so after the game he had some choice words for the refs...too funny!

The next season soccer was moved to the reservation, and we haven't played in that league again.

Badmaninc...congrats on your win!! This type of crap happens all over the place, but it makes it that much sweeter to win in the face of it
                  I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Still need some advice on how to keep our boys from falling for that garbage though. I told them that's all the other team has when they resort to talking smack but was told that I didn't know what it was like. I told them some of the names I was called when I was playing and they said those were old names. They only wanted to talk about their difficulties. So if you dudes could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Comment

Well Bad... All i can really say... they are young and human.. they think by reaction first...as for our part as Adults, i can think of 4 words: Repition, Attitude, Consistancy and Example.

It is good to know you care and that you are rally tryin to look for a way to resolve. Hard to tell people things when they aren't ready to hear it or when they are too angry.
                      Ok Ill shut up now... sorry, again gj on your teams win

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

Racism it's everywhere!!!!!

Originally posted by Joe's Dad

One time my grandmother was at her son's hockey game (late 60's) when a mother form the other "white" team actually threw hot coffee in my uncle's face! Well, the ref or coach did nothing so my grandma jumped on the ice and punched out the ref. Needless to say she was taken to jail. Now with my irrational behavior I would want to do the same!!! However, Bad I would agree that as you get older the idea of going down to that pure stupid level is not worth it, besides criminal records are not good if you want to travel, have a god job, etc.
                        My uncle was one of the hottest players of his time, even being scouted by the NHL, however today he lives in Edmonton (1000+ miles from home) is a alcoholic who has major health issues. Could it be that he gave up his dreams by sucumbing to the racism he indured? Well, partially, but as we all know there are other social issues.
                        When I was younger I was really impressionable and unsure of myself. You know, just by you being there for these kids helps. To see a man or woman proud and sure of who they are does effect younger people for the better.
                        It's a hard qestion you have posed because we all deal with and have delt with our own issues on racism. How one person handles something differs from another, all I can say is you should be comended for your involvement and concern.
                        Also, with time and a lot of hard work I finally came to realize my self worth. And of course the example set by those "older" than me really helped.
                        When you are young it's hard to see in the future, all i can say is just keep on doing what your doing because it is A LOT and these young people will eventually be better sportsmen and human beings.
                        OUR STRENGTH IS OUR CULTURE and OUR FAMILIES NO MATTER WHAT OUR UP BRINGING MAY BE, THIS IS THE REAL FEAR OF NON-NATIVES, WE ARE WHERE WE BELONG!!!!!!!!THIS IS OUR HOME OF ALL OF OUR RELATIONS, EVERYWHERE YOU STAND IS INDIAN LAND!!!!!!
                        Good luck and hope these young people recoginze the "feelings" they get when being discriminated against as passion and strength!
                        Although some things have "changed" since the story I have relayed the dumb azz racism hasn't, but really is that our problem? It's hard but just think how far "we" have come as far as acomplishments, don't let stupid people effect you, because they'll just keep being stupid til it gets them killed or they just die as uninformed idiots with no compassion....
                        whew!!!!...(sorry aboutspelling mistakes)

Comment

Still need some advice on how to keep our boys from falling for that garbage though. I told them that's all the other team has when they resort to talking smack but was told that I didn't know what it was like. I told them some of the names I was called when I was playing and they said those were old names. They only wanted to talk about their difficulties. So if you dudes could help me out I'd really appreciate it.
                          Congradulations on the WIN! WAY TO GO BOYS!
                          Other than ear plugs for the boys, the only thing you can do is tell them to consider the source. Point out that people who make those type of comments are lacking in basic intelligence, and that they should be pitied for their stupidty and ingnorance. Remind them that they are better people, much better mannered, and BETTER PLAYERS than those poor fools who are making the comments. If the other team was so sure of themselves they wouldn't need to try to shake your players up with racial remarks. Let the kids know that. Now that they've won the gold they will be able to see the truth in it.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.