Alabama-Coushatta Hurricane Rita status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama-Coushatta Hurricane Rita status

We're currently out of electric power. It may take anywhere from 7-21 days before power is restored. We experienced fierce winds of about 75-80 mph. There were 3 tornadoes in the vicinity of the reservation. Many power lines, trees, and other debris were down everywhere.

Evacuation notices were a bit late, but most of us knew Rita was coming. Many of the elders were evacuated to southern Oklahoma. Many people didn't leave because many people in surrounding towns/cities were already being evacuated and caused a traffic chaos. Just to drive 20 miles down the road would expect an 2-3 hour drive.

There wasn't any major damage to any of the homes. One home did have a tree lean on the roof. If it can be cut in such a way that it won't completely fall on the roof, then it can be salvaged. Other than that, well, there are many trees that have fallen in the yards.

Many of you know about the Texas heat. Several people have almost colapsed. Thankfully we have plenty of water donated by several companies. Most of the time we do have running water( thanks to generators), but it's hazardous to drink. Most of the members are sheltered in our MultiPurpose center where they have air-condition and limited electricity (again,thanks to generators). For a few days, we had limited food, but thanks to some outside assistance, we are able to get a hot meal three times a day.

We are very fortunate that there were no casualties. That was my biggest fear. My husband, brother-in-law and I decided to stay at home and tough it out. I wanted to go to the MPC with the rest of my family, but since my husband just got off of work,he was very tired and wanted to sleep.

I swear, if you want to know what a tornado sounds like, it's like a train coming near.

I'll keep you updated.
    Bead All You Can Bead

One thing we're upset about is that Bush/FEMA declared other surrounding counties a disaster area. When we learned that our county was not declared a disaster area, well, we were upset.
    Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Hi Ac miss, I was hoping you would post soon, suzy told me you were without power and stuff, i am glad to see you are ok.
      90% Angel
      10% Lil Devil

But I've been told it's the other way around!

Comment

AC does anyone need any help cleaning up the downed trees? I can round up some guys and chain saws and would be more than happy to do whatever we can. Like I said in the Prayer Circle, I'm just 2 hours away and you say the word and we're on it! We've got low boy trailers to put the tree debris on or pick ups or whatever you need. Please let me know. My prayers are with you and your family.
        "I cannot think that we are useless or God would not have created us.
        There is one God looking down on us all. We are all the children of one God. The sun,
        the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say." **Geronimo

Comment

As of yesterday morning, we are able to get 90% of power restored to the residents on the reservation. It's been a tough week, but we've made it through. We're so very fortunate to many people who have helped us through this ordeal. Now must of us can go home and relax. I know I did. I slept like a baby in my own bed and didn't wake up for 12 hours!!!

The first few days after Rita hit, it was rough. We couldn't even get out of our road. My husband and I were blocked both ways. Thankfully the Forestry crew were prepped and ready to saw their way through. We had a team from the Georgia Foresty as well as many others who helped clear the roads. Many of us still have fallen trees in our yards. I think it will be a while before they will be removed.

We're trying to get help from FEMA for some damages that occurred during the storm. Their are reports that some shingles came off, carport damage, roof leaks, trees that fell on storage rooms, lack of running water & electricity as well as other problems. One resident's propane tank had fallen on its side. Thankfully it didn't explode or anything.

Thank you for your prayers, PATHWALKER and SUZYQ and everyone else. It's just really great to finally be back in our home.
          Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Glad to see that things are getting better for you. I was up in that area Saturday and there are a lot of trees down and signs down along Hwy. 59. Take care!!!!!
            "I cannot think that we are useless or God would not have created us.
            There is one God looking down on us all. We are all the children of one God. The sun,
            the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say." **Geronimo

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.