My Thanksgiving anniversary......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Thanksgiving anniversary......

Those of you that have been around here for awhile know that every year I post on the anniversary of my sobriety. It is on the 24th of November. This year is my 22nd year being clean and sober.

The reason I post this is to honor that fact. While it is not the first and foremost thing I think of daily anymore....... I never want to forget. This is my way of reminding myself where I was and where I could be once again.

It is really strange too........ this year has been my hardest or one of my hardest I should say. I've had so many things come my way that were hard to deal with and I made it through by the grace of the creator. Strange.......but I never considered alcohol or drugs as an option.

One thing I have noticed this past year though, is the pressure to get high or drunk was more so this year. So many people offering and not wanting to take no as an answer was greater this year. That got me to really notice how much of this is readily available and out there now. It seems it is everywhere. And man......... some of the stuff out there now is nasty....... nothing like what was around 22 yrs. ago. It really causes great fear in me for our youth of today. It is heart breaking. Seeing little 10yr olds walking around with paint circles on their little faces from huffing.

I just want to thank all of you for letting me share this with you once again and also I would like to thank all of you who in some way stand up against this problem in your own lives and communities.
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

I am very proud of you, Mato. And yes, there are many more things out there tempting than there were 22 years ago. I am not where you are yet - but I am getting there. Alcohol no longer is the focus of my social life. I still have great times, but at least I can remember them now.

I quit drinking last year, and haven't had a drink since August of this past year. Again, it just doesn't rule my life any longer.

Thanks for sharing and congrats for making it 22 years.
    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

Congratulations, I'm only going on 17 years of sobriety in January. I think it's important to remember the committment we make to ourselves and the people around us. After keeping up sobriety so long, who would want to return to that "so called" life we thought was so important back then. I have found that; I've only become the strong native woman I was born to be after being free of alcohol and other things a number of years. Chemicals keep people from growing up, chemicals in a family change the normal process of learning in children and therefore when they get to adulthood, they usually are out there seeking that high, to deal with the ugly realities of life. It's very important you always remind yourself of the reason or reasons you practice sobriety; you have total freedom and you have great strength to do anything.

Comment

i would just like to say congratulations to all of you. Being sober is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. It's been a struggle. But I know that with the creators help and peoples prayers, I can make it. It has'nt been easy but I keep taking it one day at a time. And I hope you do too. I have been clean and sober for almost four years now. And I must say I have never been happier. Blessings to all of you.

Comment

Thanks ......

Originally posted by WocusWoman
          I have found that; I've only become the strong native woman I was born to be after being free of alcohol and other things a number of years.
          If I could only say one thing I think this would be it....... this is the key I believe.
          "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

WAY TO GO MATO! Congradulations on 22 years of being sober!
            Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

Congratulations to you all...hard work pays off. Prayers go out to those who are trying to become sober and are having a hard time.
              The true meaning of life........

Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off,
              kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or
              behaving like one.

Comment

can i get a boo yah...............

yay Mato!..............gee, its nice, so so so so nice! to see our native american people proud and strong and free of alcohol! gee this post makes me feel good! you just made my good day even better mato! many more years of sobriety to come to you...................

Comment

congratulations to you all.
                  ~*PowWows.com Princess 2006-2007*~

Comment

That's good! Good to hear in these times.Seems most everyone is into something now days.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.