No announcement yet.

How white is your native world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love and peace to all. I know where everyone is coming from. Like I've said in other threads, I'm from the mountains in Southwest Virginia. In Virginia all the cenuses had you as either white or black, no Native. I grew up with my Grandparents talking about our Native blood. But because of racist problems everyone knew about families having Native heritage but wouldn't admit to it because those not white couldn't own land or vote. My elders were farmers part time and coal miners full time. They and I take pride in our Native heritage. Their main thoughts were providing for their families. We lost alot of knowledge of the Native ways but I'm working of learning them for myself and my sons. I go to Pow Wows to talk and listen. To absorb the aura of being with the people, the smells, sounds, and sites of all the people gathering together. Where I'm from we have a state tribe called the Appalachian Cherokee Tribe. We kinda got left in the mountains and forgotten unless coal was needed. Because Virginia's early cenuses stated either black or white, I went to my doctor and had a DNA test to verify my Native blood because of those who always question someone. I was taught that Cherokee's had a rule of acceptance. To accept things as they are and just be. I don't question someone who tells me their Native and ask for a card. I accept. No one knows what's in each persons heart, only they know. We also don't know from these threads who's really who they say they are. I accept. I love this site because it's a way for the people to communicate. I have been told that sense I try to walk the true path that I'm a heathen. I'm going to hell in their eyes. I accept. The Great Spirit knows what's in my heart and that's all that matters. I love and accept everyone on this site. Please let's do the same for all.

Comment

I wish I lived in an area that i could take a person at their word, but alas I do not. And for every con artists uncovered in our area it seems we have 2 more hang their shingle.
      Please visit http://www.kiowakat.com/
      "The truth shall set you free, but first it's gonna piss you off a whole lot".

Comment

Originally posted by hywalker
        I wish I lived in an area that i could take a person at their word, but alas I do not. And for every con artists uncovered in our area it seems we have 2 more hang their shingle.
        thats the truth for sure...when i worked for the newspaper,and we did a series on plastic medicine types,every time we'd expose one a few more would pop up in their place....
        sigpic
        TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Right On! Chickendad!
          "Riches from the heart can not be stolen."

Comment

im not sure if i ever needed acceptance by anybody to maintain who i am. i dont give a hoot what you think i am. its not important to me. i cannot let something like other peoples ignorance stop me from speaking my language or praying my way or living the life. any other excuses?
            thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

this all sounds very familiar

Comment

Originally posted by injunboy
                im not sure if i ever needed acceptance by anybody to maintain who i am. i dont give a hoot what you think i am. its not important to me. i cannot let something like other peoples ignorance stop me from speaking my language or praying my way or living the life. any other excuses?
                I don't think anyone's asking you to change injunboy. I do think you have some personal issues tho and you seem to be taking it out on people at different threads. I don't think I want to keep replying to your childish behavior on Hywalker's thread or anywhere else. Whatever your problem is...go sleep it off tonight and hope you feel better in the morning!
                "Riches from the heart can not be stolen."

Comment

ill sleep if you work on your reading comprehension.. lol
                  thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

* eats his popcorn*
                    sigpic
                    TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

I am 1/512 Dutch. I know in my heart that this is so. When I see windmills, my heart soars. I purchased a pair of wooden shoes at a yard sale. I had to have them. When I put them on visions of tulips surround me. The story of the child who plugged a hole in the dyke turned me to tears.

I tell people of my lost heritage but they take one look at me and say, "No way man! You're Anishinaabe all the way!" What can I do?

I first submitted a post similar to this a few years ago and my situation has not changed. I tried to join a Dutch-Canadian club with no success. My skin color has been a detriment to my being accepted. My Ojibwe accent is unmistakeable and is hard to disguise.

Would a trip to the homeland help me out? I don't know if I should chance it as ( I heard) there are drug cafes and the sex trade is blatantly displayed in windows. Is that bad? I want so much to learn and partake of my Dutch heritage in every aspect.

Comment

Somebody pass the butter.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad
                          This is gonna be a good thread...

I'm going to go get my popcorn!

I'm with Joe's Dad...Just wait, I need coffee for this one too...

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
                            I am 1/512 Dutch. I know in my heart that this is so. When I see windmills, my heart soars. I purchased a pair of wooden shoes at a yard sale. I had to have them. When I put them on visions of tulips surround me. The story of the child who plugged a hole in the dyke turned me to tears.

I tell people of my lost heritage but they take one look at me and say, "No way man! You're Anishinaabe all the way!" What can I do?

I first submitted a post similar to this a few years ago and my situation has not changed. I tried to join a Dutch-Canadian club with no success. My skin color has been a detriment to my being accepted. My Ojibwe accent is unmistakeable and is hard to disguise.

Would a trip to the homeland help me out? I don't know if I should chance it as ( I heard) there are drug cafes and the sex trade is blatantly displayed in windows. Is that bad? I want so much to learn and partake of my Dutch heritage in every aspect.
                            lmao
                            sigpic
                            TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
                              I am 1/512 Dutch.

LOL I'll make the trip with ya if you want. I'm probably less dutch than that but I'm thinking Amsterdam might be a good place to learn of spirituality don't you? heheheh

Look, I know we have quite a few people here of questionable ancestry and I overlook it most of the time becaues it does'nt mean they are'nt usually good people to make friends with. Some are cheesy, some are dilusional, some just for some reason in their hearts need to be "something" so bad that you gotta feel sorry for them for not allowing themselves to be happy otherwise.
                              We know all too well it's not easy being indian, full blood, mixed bloods, urban or reservation. And yet we would'nt change who we are for the world now would we? I think that's more the main attraction for some of these guys than anything... cause regardless how indian we do or do not look, how badly we are treated, no matter how low in life we can get, we are still proud to be who we are. And I think if alot of these guys would search that native feeling heart of theirs, that's all they want to really have is pride in themselves. That's why so many white folks join the KKK and other occults is cause they think that these guys have the answers to what can make them feel good about themselves.

So I gotta ask this... because this has been bugging me since reading some of the responses on this thread and others in the past:
                              When you talk about as living as close to the culture as you can, what do you mean? I ask this cause culture is'nt just items and clothes and speaking the language.. it's the people themselves and the community. I do'nt live back home like I want... but I had to seriously think about how am I living that is "culturally" tuscarora and I found my answer, but what's yours? I'm not going to say mine so there's no regurgitating what I say in the answers.
                              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

THIS IS A FREAK SHOW dudes. Just don't start asking about spirit totems.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                  Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                  by OLChemist
                                  *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                  06-21-2021, 12:08 PM
                                • Tsalagi_Phoenix
                                  Books!
                                  by Tsalagi_Phoenix
                                  It seems that all the 'what are you reading now' threads have died and I decided to make my own thread for books.

Post what you're currently reading, ask for recommendations or give recommendations, post what books you got most recently and anything else book related.

I'm...
                                  02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
                                Working...
                                X