Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe's Dad
    Somebody pass the butter.

Wanna bottle of Weinard's Rootbeer, Joe's dad? I would just love to throw in my opinions, but I'll wait until one more person starts their post with," my great, great grandfather or grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee...."

Comment

Originally posted by WocusWoman
      Wanna bottle of Weinard's Rootbeer, Joe's dad? I would just love to throw in my opinions, but I'll wait until one more person starts their post with," my great, great grandfather or grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee...."
      If I tell you my great-grandfather was a Cherokee Princess would that work? Dang!!

Comment

lol's

Comment

ive always wondered what the reaction would be if ndn people started dressing up as priests and doing confessions etc... i dont think our life expectancy would be too long lol
          sigpic
          TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

My great, great grandfather is Chief Cherokee.

He lived in North Carolina in the early 1800's, he had a great tribes.

Joe's Dad, I loves popcorns too!

When Indians and actions movies on the TV then I start eating popcorns.
            Visit my Website & Forums: Native American & Cherokee Cultural Community. If you're interest it, sign up, feel free and hope to see you on the boards!

Comment

If I read a bunch of books about white society and try to preach it does that make me a textbook wasicu????

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota Wica'hpi Ina
                If I read a bunch of books about white society and try to preach it does that make me a textbook wasicu????
                you could tell people youre great great grandmother was a full blooded european princess.....
                sigpic
                TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
                  I am 1/512 Dutch. I know in my heart that this is so. When I see windmills, my heart soars. I purchased a pair of wooden shoes at a yard sale. I had to have them. When I put them on visions of tulips surround me. The story of the child who plugged a hole in the dyke turned me to tears.

I tell people of my lost heritage but they take one look at me and say, "No way man! You're Anishinaabe all the way!" What can I do?

I first submitted a post similar to this a few years ago and my situation has not changed. I tried to join a Dutch-Canadian club with no success. My skin color has been a detriment to my being accepted. My Ojibwe accent is unmistakeable and is hard to disguise.

Would a trip to the homeland help me out? I don't know if I should chance it as ( I heard) there are drug cafes and the sex trade is blatantly displayed in windows. Is that bad? I want so much to learn and partake of my Dutch heritage in every aspect.
                  Hey I found a Dutch cpl that said they would adopt you, of course it will cost a few hundred (due to the paperwork lol) but then i'd expect you'll be wanting to know all our secret ceremonies and handshakes. lmao u all are too funny :)
                  Please visit http://www.kiowakat.com/
                  "The truth shall set you free, but first it's gonna piss you off a whole lot".

Comment

HEY I'm half white I just can't prove it!!!!!....I think they said I was part irish so thats where my drinking genes come from ayeeeeeeee HA

Comment

Wannabe that doesn't like Wannabe's

I should know better than to get in on this thread, but…
                      I fit under the “great grandma was an Indian” category, but also dislike the wannabe’s at powwow’s. The vendors and dancers with their hair dyed black are annoying for sure. Living in the east we have a lot more assimilated people than bloods, so it is the norm around here. I have very little problem because I look a little Indian. The point of my post is about my son.

I have made a very interesting observation with my second son. Genetics are a mystery and although he is only about 1/64 native, he arrived with really dark hair and skin. It’s a good thing he looks just like me otherwise! Lol. When we go to powwow’s he is treated better because he looks Indian. He fits in with the bloods and has a different experience than his siblings. We vacationed in Cherokee, NC and tourists were taking his picture. At South Dakota powwows he has been mistaken for a blood by the other kids. It is too bad that a native’s “indianness” is judged by looks, but that is reality. So is my boy happy with the way he looks, no not always. At school he is asked “what are you”, “why is your skin so dark”, etc. etc.. He is the least interested in his Indian heritage out of all of my kids and won’t participate at powwows. I hope it all comes into focus after he gets older.

I dance because I like it and to honor my grandfather. He was beaten by his mother when he asked questions about being Indian and was forbidden to mention it. He was proud of it all the same. My great-grandmother knew it had taken a lot of years for my family to get white and lose the prejudice, but things were different in 1900(maybe). The Keating Mt. Cherokee came to PA during the French and Indian war and assimilated by the early 1800’s. My family is the only one left that honors them. So maybe some of my motivation is spite, I feel like I am screwing all of those people that tried to wipe out the Indians just by honoring my ancestors!

Some of my personal rules:
                      I buy my stuff only from registered natives (although I suspect fraud exists).
                      I never claim to be an Indian. I am a white man with Indian heritage. (I have visited a lot of rez’s- That is not how I had to grow up).
                      I don’t dance at big tribal powwows. (They are a family event, and I just visit and support).
                      When my picture gets in the local papers I use my real name not White hawk (I try not to be mistaken as a “real” Indian)

As bad as the wannabe cultural can be, I am more irritated by the new age hippy dope smokers who “find” enlightenment thru Indian spirituality. No offense to anyone for any reason. For me it’s all about the dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by kiowakat
                        HEY I'm half white I just can't prove it!!!!!....I think they said I was part irish so thats where my drinking genes come from ayeeeeeeee HA
                        funny,you dont look white...can i touch your hair?
                        sigpic
                        TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota Wica'hpi Ina

I'm with Joe's Dad...Just wait, I need coffee for this one too...
                          Better set up the popcorn stand and a big ole pot of coffee. This thread just started on Saturday, just wait until everyone gets back to work on Monday and logs on!

Comment

Originally posted by sokoki_wolf
                            ive always wondered what the reaction would be if ndn people started dressing up as priests and doing confessions etc... i dont think our life expectancy would be too long lol
                            "Riches from the heart can not be stolen."

Comment

Where da heck you guys been? Have you never been on the rez? There are Indians who are priests, ministers, nuns. I see them when I go to funerals of friends. Not everybody attends tradish ceremonies. You got the wrong idea that all Indian people who live on the rez are tradish. Not so. Make a trip sometime. You might learn something.

Ya'll make jokes of something you have never experienced.

I'm not so fond of wannabes myself, but they're here, there, everywhere. I keep my distance and they better keep theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
                                Where da heck you guys been? Have you never been on the rez? There are Indians who are priests, ministers, nuns. I see them when I go to funerals of friends. Not everybody attends tradish ceremonies. You got the wrong idea that all Indian people who live on the rez are tradish. Not so. Make a trip sometime. You might learn something.

Ya'll make jokes of something you have never experienced.

I'm not so fond of wannabes myself, but they're here, there, everywhere. I keep my distance and they better keep theirs.
                                um the priest thing was a JOKE and ive been to the res many mnay times
                                sigpic
                                TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                  Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                  by OLChemist
                                  *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                  06-21-2021, 12:08 PM
                                • Tsalagi_Phoenix
                                  Books!
                                  by Tsalagi_Phoenix
                                  It seems that all the 'what are you reading now' threads have died and I decided to make my own thread for books.

Post what you're currently reading, ask for recommendations or give recommendations, post what books you got most recently and anything else book related.

I'm...
                                  02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
                                Working...
                                X