Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George W. at it AGAIN!

Any President Bush fans out there???

The Bush administration has made an across-the-board cut to the Bureau of Indian Affairs budget, blaming the reduction on the Cobell trust fund lawsuit. As a result, the BIA forked over $2 million from an account used to "reimburse tribal attorney's fees" and an additional $1 million came from an across-the-board rescission of tribal programs.

ALSO....

Under President Bush's proposed fiscal year 2007 debt
    reduction budget, urban Indian health funding would be terminated
    and patients would have to seek health care through other federally funded health facilities. The Bush budget would cut the entire $33 million from urban Indian
    health. Federal dollars comprise the majority of funding for urban Indian health organizations and clinics.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Unless you Indians can help Bush make a profit on something, he aint gonna give you nothing! Your no good to him so why help keep you alive???
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
      Any President Bush fans out there???

Under President Bush's proposed fiscal year 2007 debt
      reduction budget, urban Indian health funding would be terminated
      and patients would have to seek health care through other federally funded health facilities. The Bush budget would cut the entire $33 million from urban Indian
      health. Federal dollars comprise the majority of funding for urban Indian health organizations and clinics.
      I have to say that President Bush is certainly not a friend to Indian people, especially when it comes to health care. It seems as health directors we keep fighting him at every turn for funding that the government is responsible for as trust responsibility. It makes my job as a Health Director much more difficult to provide the health services to our people. His decision to cut the Urban Programs is the worst decision. As it was stated by Senator McCain, and I am paraphrasing..I would get the full quote verbatim but I'm not looking for my emails LOL, how could the administration cut a program when they know that Congress will restore it. I just think that Bush is trying to pull a fast one. He and his administration don't think about how it will affect the Urban natives and the rural natives. His answer is that if they cut the Urban programs then those clients should be able to receive the health care at their home reservations, but does he factor into his budget to increase the money to the rural health centers through IHS to offset this potential surge of clients? No, he has not. It is so frustrating to work and understand this administration.
      He's the type of rez I like
      ~A. Waquie Nov. 2003~

Comment

This is an email I just received I wanted to share;

The Inter-tribal Student Organization at Mesa Community College would like to invite your students to participate in a march and petition drive against the Proposed President's FY 2007 budget request to eliminate the urban Indian health program nationwide.

The contact person for this drive is Natalia Cachora, you can reach her at 480.516.2233 or email her at [email protected]. ISO students have scheduled the march to be held in Phoenix sometime in March, time and date to be announced.

President Bush has proposed the elimination of the Urban Indian Health Program with the Indian Health Service. Urban Indian health programs report that such a cut would result in bankruptcies, lease defaults, elimination of services to tens of thousands of Indians who may not seek care elsewhere, an increse in the health care disparity for American Indians and Alasks Natives and the near annihilation of a body of medical and cultural knowledge addressing the unique cultural and medical needs of the urban Indian population held almost exclusively by these programs. According to the 2000 Census, nearly 70% of Americans identifying themselves as of American Indian or Alaska Native heritage in urban areas. Notably, the Urban Indian Health Program receives only 1% of IHS funding, stretching those dollars to achieve extraordinary results.

Pass this information on to your students, if they are interested in getting involve to protest the proposed elimination of the
        rban Indiah Health Program with the IHS.

Thanks,

Loretta Damon, M.A.
        American Indian Center
        Mesa Community College

Comment

Tell me I'm wrong. . .

Our nation's President has no problems sending Indian men and women to Iraq to be put in harm's way.

At the same time,

Our nation's President is eliminating the healthcare of those Indian families that are left behind?

What's wrong with this picture?
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Just as long as Bush and others like him with that same way of thinking keep getting voted into office there won't be a U.S.A. soon. Our politicans have sold us down the river along long time ago with all their wheelings and dealings and their special interest groups standing behind them.

That Iraq war was a scam to get a better price on the oil even tho Bush and his kissing buddies won't admit to it. Him and Rumfeld have been rubbing albows with the Arab countires and it's leaders for years.

What scares me the most about Bush is that he really thinks and believes that God gave him a mandate to do what he's doing. I've heard him say this on live news interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
              Tell me I'm wrong. . .

Our nation's President has no problems sending Indian men and women to Iraq to be put in harm's way.

At the same time,

Our nation's President is eliminating the healthcare of those Indian families that are left behind?

What's wrong with this picture?

There is something very WRONG with that picture!
              He's the type of rez I like
              ~A. Waquie Nov. 2003~

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.