• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • One Hot Mama
    Teen Dancer
    • Nov 2003

Gettin' it Done NDN-style

A friend of mine was moving, and asked if I wanted her 20 chickens and the coop they'd built for them, said I could have it all if I just came and got it. So of course I said yes.

The day I had to do this, the alternator on my truck went out and the truck died at my friend's house, my mechanic buddy was out of town at a truck show, and here I was with a white friend and her 2 kids ready to help me(my younger son was helping the friend who was moving and the older son had to work that day).

So, I call the old man, who comes and gets my white friend and takes her to her place. She gets her car- a 1989 Honda Civic- and drives back out. We crate the chickens up ten at a time and take the poultry yard down, rolling up the wire and taking down the posts, base planks, and 2x4's. Making 2 trips, we load chickens, wire, and wood on top of her car and travel from the friend's house to my family's farm...about 12 miles.

Along the way, we get stares, made a cop laugh, and some white guy on a bicycle almosts falls off as we pass by(hell, hasn't he ever seen somebody move stuff before?). Keep in mind we have to drive through a couple of "upscale" suburb neighborhoods as we drive from one place to the other. Apparently, these people have never seen somebody drive with a crate of chickens on top of a car... twice.

I am happy to say that my new little flock has settled into their new digs and are proving themselves to be superb egg-producers, as I get 18 nice big brown eggs each day, as well as plenty of that other stuff chickens produce in abundance ...which I mix with the stuff the horses make,and put in the compost pile for use in the garden or bag and sell to some local folks for use in their gardens. Oh, and I sell the eggs, too, so it's all good.

So, what's YOUR best gettin' it done story?
  • Joe's Dad
    The voices tell me...
    • Nov 2004

Sounds like Jed and Granny were moving back from Beverly...Hills, that is!!!!

Fresh eggs all the time and once in a while you can sacrifice one of the birds for 'chicken and pastry'!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

• Annie Fawn
      PowWows.com Addicts
      • Apr 2004

Well, I once fit a complete childs kitchen set and a childs picnic table into a mustang. Got home with it and my hubby and daughter said "what the! How did you do that!" My answer was don't ask and you get to unload it. lol
      Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

• little bird
        little bird
        • Jun 2005

Loved the chicken story!! Who care's if those folks laughed at you...brought them down a peg or two in the humble pie department! Anyway, I don't see them getting fresh eggs everyday and enjoying themselves! No...they still go to the store and BUY them!
        "Riches from the heart can not be stolen."

Comment

• Singing Otter
          Gotz ta be me!
          • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Joe's Dad
          Sounds like Jed and Granny were moving back from Beverly...Hills, that is!!!!

Fresh eggs all the time and once in a while you can sacrifice one of the birds for 'chicken and pastry'!!!

u ain't right

dang. Talk about bringing back memories! goot times

The brown ones are richer than the white ones (stoppit.) For real, my mom made the best cakes with those.
          SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

• Joe's Dad
            The voices tell me...
            • Nov 2004

JD knows good country living!

And you can't beat a good ole chicken out the yard!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

• Joe G
              *~the REAL me~*
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by One Hot Mama
              A friend of mine was moving, and asked if I wanted her 20 chickens and the coop they'd built for them, said I could have it all if I just came and got it. So of course I said yes.

The day I had to do this, the alternator on my truck went out and the truck died at my friend's house, my mechanic buddy was out of town at a truck show, and here I was with a white friend and her 2 kids ready to help me(my younger son was helping the friend who was moving and the older son had to work that day).

So, I call the old man, who comes and gets my white friend and takes her to her place. She gets her car- a 1989 Honda Civic- and drives back out. We crate the chickens up ten at a time and take the poultry yard down, rolling up the wire and taking down the posts, base planks, and 2x4's. Making 2 trips, we load chickens, wire, and wood on top of her car and travel from the friend's house to my family's farm...about 12 miles.

Along the way, we get stares, made a cop laugh, and some white guy on a bicycle almosts falls off as we pass by(hell, hasn't he ever seen somebody move stuff before?). Keep in mind we have to drive through a couple of "upscale" suburb neighborhoods as we drive from one place to the other. Apparently, these people have never seen somebody drive with a crate of chickens on top of a car... twice.

I am happy to say that my new little flock has settled into their new digs and are proving themselves to be superb egg-producers, as I get 18 nice big brown eggs each day, as well as plenty of that other stuff chickens produce in abundance ...which I mix with the stuff the horses make,and put in the compost pile for use in the garden or bag and sell to some local folks for use in their gardens. Oh, and I sell the eggs, too, so it's all good.

So, what's YOUR best gettin' it done story?

AWWWW man, this story just CRIES out for pictures!! you have any???

Comment

• Singing Otter
                Gotz ta be me!
                • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Joe's Dad
                And you can't beat a good ole chicken out the yard!!!

Thanks for the flashbacks. *shudder*
                SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

• One Hot Mama
                  Teen Dancer
                  • Nov 2003

Erin got a picture on her cell phone camera. I'll see if she'll email it to me so I can post it.

And you're right, fresh yard bird beats those water-injected
                  carcasses from the store. My tsitag's are running around eating what God intended chickens to eat instead of antibiotics and steroids in feed made from dead animals, so you know they gotta taste muuuuuch better.

As far as that Beverly Hills thing, I'm not sure if NDN's can be hillbillies...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.