Shelley from "Road Rules"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelley from "Road Rules"

Does anyone remember the NDN girl "Shelley" from MTV's "Road Rules"?
    I watched the show religiously in the early 90's because she was on it. I was around the same age as her at the time and it was so great to see another real NDN person on TV. I know she danced (traditional I think, buckskin maybe). I often wonder what and how she is doing now. I am not sure of her tribe but I vaguely remember she was from Oklahoma. Anyone have any updates on her? I also thought she seemed like a cool down to earth person.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible"
    "You cannot give the people who have wronged you so much power that they take away your dreams"

I think she was Kiowa
    www.myspace.com/powwowlicious

Comment

she was a fancy dancer from montana...
      sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

I'll watch that and thanks for the head up!

I have Country music cable TV, I hope they have NDN music playing...... because there's always be COWBOYS!

Also, I have VH1, MTV, MTV2 and MTV3.
        Visit my Website & Forums: Native American & Cherokee Cultural Community. If you're interest it, sign up, feel free and hope to see you on the boards!

Comment

I remember her! She was from Oklahoma, b/c they went there b/c they would take them to see their families during the trip back in the day. She went to a pow wow....can't remember which one.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Her name is Shelly Spottedhorse and she was originally from Oklahoma City. She was a buckskin dancer and I believe she was Kiowa.

If you think about it, her appearance was definitely groundbreaking in that most MTV and other "pop culture" shows frequently leave out American Indians. Actually, since her appearance on the first season of Road Rules, I can't think of another Indian being featured on a top reality show.
            I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Her name is Shelly Spottedhorse, here's some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Rules:_USA_-_The_First_Adventure_(1995)
              New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Shelley Nina SpottedHorse

She is Kiowa and she comes from the Anquoe family. I believe she is married now and has children I think she currently resides in OKC but not for sure.

Comment

whoops my bad....LOL I asked my cousin and dang, next time i'll just google her.
                  sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

Originally posted by Chey&Arap4life
                    She is Kiowa and she comes from the Anquoe family. I believe she is married now and has children I think she currently resides in OKC but not for sure.
                    Yes, she is Kiowa and comes from the Anquoe family.

The apartment scene was taken at the Wedgewood Apartments. The two-step scene was shot at the Myriad Convention Center (Now the Cox Center) during a powwow. Both are located in Oklahoma City.

I liked seeing Shelly on mainstream television. And to be on the very first Road Rules was a plus!
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

oh yah i remember her, i remember thinking wow she is so pretty. i have thought about her now and then was always hoping to see her on a challenge. i am glad to hear she is still out there doing well with babies. she was a class act on there as well.
                      A LABYRINTH OF FINGERS POINTING BLAME

Comment

Originally posted by DaCotau
                        Does anyone remember the NDN girl "Shelley" from MTV's "Road Rules"?
                        I watched the show religiously in the early 90's because she was on it. I was around the same age as her at the time and it was so great to see another real NDN person on TV. I know she danced (traditional I think, buckskin maybe). I often wonder what and how she is doing now. I am not sure of her tribe but I vaguely remember she was from Oklahoma. Anyone have any updates on her? I also thought she seemed like a cool down to earth person.
                        i was watching the road rules/real world challenge the other day and was wondering about her since i seen some of her road rule buddies on those challenges. i thought that was so cool to be on MTV, but i think that powwow they were in montana and had them dance in different categories, i think it was with the Baker family??? but maybe us indians are not as crazy as some of those kids thay put on those shows, so thats why there not more ndns LOL i dont know it would be good to see more.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                          Yes, she is Kiowa and comes from the Anquoe family.

The apartment scene was taken at the Wedgewood Apartments. The two-step scene was shot at the Myriad Convention Center (Now the Cox Center) during a powwow. Both are located in Oklahoma City.

I liked seeing Shelly on mainstream television. And to be on the very first Road Rules was a plus!
                          My sister and I use to run around with Shelly (we called her Nina) when were little. I actually think the two-step scene was at Tulsa Powwow when they held it at the pavillion because we were there and my sis danced and we remember seeing MTV cameras there following Nina around. We were like, 'coooool' when we seen the cameras.. lol

Comment

anyone got pics?
                            I'm interested more in self determination than gender equity. In other words, changing white men for white woman in the structures of power, does nothing to transform the opression in my community.

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
                            -Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

Yep, I used to watch the show when she was on there. It was cool, when, she was showing the other cast members her pics from the photo album. They had so many questions for her.
                              Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.