Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Curious..what is the craziest newage/wannabe thing you've seen??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See I knew it was easy to find my place...why does everyone else think its so hard?

Bring on the left overs...loves me some turkey and taters with all the fixins. whoooo hooooooo.

ok here is one more story for ya....was at a pow-wow in Northern Ohio and there was a guy there who actually introduced himself as Medicine Man ____ _____. I won't say his name. But anyway he did a "Eagle Mating Dance" as a couples dance. Wasn't sure what that was about but anyways...thought I would share.
    Abs of Frybread and Buns of Commodity Cheese

Comment

Up in the Northeast thre is a guy with a GIANT lobster claw on a stick. and another guy with a pewter dragon with a crystal ball on a stick. and yet another guy with a butterfly on a stick who i hear recently carries a model of the starship enterprise.

not to mention all the blue and purple leather, feathers on fringe, and northern tra dresses with the fringe tied on punched holes in the edge like a shawl. very neat, but snag 1 fringe and its like tearing a page out of a spiral notebook!!!
      There are 2 types of people in the world...
      Really stupid people who think they are smart
      and
      Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

...because you don't get anymore spiritual than Star Trek? :/

I think this, also, speaks for itself. Though not as much as the Grandmother Drum.
        ~Like a true ninja, you'll never see me working~

Comment

OMG!!!!!! Gahhhhh, you leave for a couple of days and look what happens to this thread?? lmaoh...... I am sitting here gigglin, trying not to crack up here at work. You guys are too much.

Ohhhhhhh now I remember this one time at 'powwow camp'...ayeeee... In fact it was at Kiiyaanii mom's powwow this year, Navajo Nation Fair, I saw one of my bro's from Mtn Soul talkin to this lady (white of course) who was just in awe of him. So I went around to try to 'save' him, but over heard some of their conversation. There was a special goin on and the boy was holding his smudge, creating alot of smoke. So this lady was talking to him saying they had this 'medicine woman' come to their work and she was burning sage. This lady told him that 'oh yeah, I smoked that once'. My bro just kinda looked at her and tried to politely ask what did you smoke? she replied, ' the sage, this medicine woman had us smoke the sage, I took a puff and gagged. Then my daughter here smoked it and choked'. We both were trying not to laugh but both of us just busted up. Her daughter was just sittin there saying, 'yeah, I just couldn't handle it, I just choked on it.' My bro just busted up after that even harder but he politely said, 'well I have never smoked sage but I guess if you did, you would choke'. lmaoh........ To this day I tease him bout smoking too much sage and going to Sage Anonymous or something....ayeeeeeeeee.....
          You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Nezbah
            OMG!!!!!! Gahhhhh, you leave for a couple of days and look what happens to this thread?? lmaoh...... I am sitting here gigglin, trying not to crack up here at work. You guys are too much.

Ohhhhhhh now I remember this one time at 'powwow camp'...ayeeee... In fact it was at Kiiyaanii mom's powwow this year, Navajo Nation Fair, I saw one of my bro's from Mtn Soul talkin to this lady (white of course) who was just in awe of him. So I went around to try to 'save' him, but over heard some of their conversation. There was a special goin on and the boy was holding his smudge, creating alot of smoke. So this lady was talking to him saying they had this 'medicine woman' come to their work and she was burning sage. This lady told him that 'oh yeah, I smoked that once'. My bro just kinda looked at her and tried to politely ask what did you smoke? she replied, ' the sage, this medicine woman had us smoke the sage, I took a puff and gagged. Then my daughter here smoked it and choked'. We both were trying not to laugh but both of us just busted up. Her daughter was just sittin there saying, 'yeah, I just couldn't handle it, I just choked on it.' My bro just busted up after that even harder but he politely said, 'well I have never smoked sage but I guess if you did, you would choke'. lmaoh........ To this day I tease him bout smoking too much sage and going to Sage Anonymous or something....ayeeeeeeeee.....

im gonna have to remember that one. not too many people talk to me at powwows, i kinda tall, ugly and scary looking so not too many people just walk up to me and say hi. but there was one woman who asked me if it meant anything special when men braided thier hair. i told her it meant that i was running late that morning and didnt have time to wash it

The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets

Comment

Originally posted by billyjoejimbob
              Up in the Northeast thre is a guy with a GIANT lobster claw on a stick. and another guy with a pewter dragon with a crystal ball on a stick. and yet another guy with a butterfly on a stick who i hear recently carries a model of the starship enterprise.

not to mention all the blue and purple leather, feathers on fringe, and northern tra dresses with the fringe tied on punched holes in the edge like a shawl. very neat, but snag 1 fringe and its like tearing a page out of a spiral notebook!!!

Hey bjjb, you need to quit doggin' the outfits you made for these people.

Comment

Originally posted by Nezbah

I bet this happens to those guys from Mtn Soul a lot, cuz they are just cute and very polite.

Comment

Originally posted by kiyaanii mom
                  I bet this happens to those guys from Mtn Soul a lot, cuz they are just cute and very polite.

lmaoh....yeah but knowing them....they like it!!! Sad thing was, this woman was really trying to impress him...... hahaha...poor thing. I just left him with her....hee hee....what a nice sister eh?? lol.... Don't worry, I tease him all the time..... it's all love....
                  You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
                  [email protected]

Comment

KIIYANI - yeah so I made those outfits. They were for a school play, not powwow dancing!!! It was a remake of ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST.
                    There are 2 types of people in the world...
                    Really stupid people who think they are smart
                    and
                    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Originally posted by lumbee_warrior
                      Look at the pic. Very hokie. This poor little girl is going to grow up confused.

LOL OMG! I was looking back thru this thread, and I saw this pic and I have to say, I went to Checotah powwow the first year they had it and I was sitting behind Tate's drum, and it was grand entry. I wasn't even paying attention, just blabbin away on my cellie, when I glanced behind me and there were two woman that looked like that little girl, except their outfits where that tan buckskin, with the holes on the edges. and they were holding up turkey feathers to the drum also! I was like all freakin wierdin out, but I calmed down, turned back to the drum and sat down, right in the middle of the flag song! My cousin was like, ummm, what are you doing, I was like ooopps...dang girl look behind you and she just started laughing.

LOL
                      sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

Article

American Indian village thriving near Mansfield

By CHERYL R. CLARKE [email protected]

MANSFIELD — A real-life replica of an American Indian village, complete with a long house and dancing circle, has been set up by the Utenin Diahoga First Nation tribe near here.

On a beautiful fall day with leaves drifting down through the warm “Indian Summer” air, three women and a man, all members of the tribe, talked with the Sun Gazette about why they do what they do.

“If we can get people to respect the earth, the animals and all of nature, that is our main purpose,” elder Marty “Redsage” Moore said.

The village was established about nine years ago by Tom “Spirit Seeker” and Carol “Snowbird” McGuinn, owners of the seven-acre property in Richmond Township, as a way to educate others about the American Indian way of life.

Tom, who was working on the day of the interview as a general contractor for the Competitive Group, is village chief.

The McGuinn’s daughter, Cassie “Takinina Tachi” McGuinn, lives at the couple’s log cabin residence, which Tom built.

Carol McGuinn, Moore, of York, and spiritual leader Shane “Gently Walks the Trail of the Black Bear” Hicks-Lee of Blossburg talked about the peaceful way of life they are trying to share with the community, along with Joanne “Grandmother Dragonfly” Burget, of York, who was visiting.

Around Burget’s neck hung her “medicine bag,” a leather pouch decorated with native beadwork that contains things meaningful to the person who wears it.

“You never take off your medicine bag, except to shower,” Burget said. Even during surgery, it doesn’t come off, she said.

American Indians believed medicine bags provided them with strength, courage and protection, Moore added.

Hicks-Lee was dressed in full “regalia.” McGuinn and Moore both wore the elder’s necklace, which Moore said is customary for women over the age of 50.

The elder’s bead necklace contained the Cherokee colors of blue, red, yellow and white, which signify the four directions of the wind.

American Indians always start with the east, which is red for the rising sun, Moore explained.

“That’s where our prayers go, where the beginning comes from. Openings in lodge dens, council houses always face east and people are buried facing east,” said McGuinn.

The south is signified by yellow for knowledge, the years of learning during adolescence, said Burget.

The color for the west is blue, where nourishing summer breezes come from and spirits go to at rest, said Moore.

North is white, which signifies rest, purification and rebuilding, such as what happens in winter.

Other colors are just as important to American Indians, Moore said.

“Sometimes green represents Mother Earth, as well as brown. Blue in some cases represents the sky. White can also represent purity and the Creator, the Great Spirit,” she added.

In Cree the word for Creator is “Gitcheemonato,” Moore said.

Though they are primarily of Cherokee descent, Moore said there are also people of Lakota, Cree, Sioux, Iroquois, Seneca Nations, Lenape and Shoshone descent in their village.

Children in the tribe, which has about 20 members so far, do not become full members until they come of age andcan decide if they wish to follow the tribal ways, McGuinn said. She herself has a teenage granddaughter, Elizabeth “Little Yellow Bird” Barnes, of Lambs Creek.

The village, located off Orebed Road, has a long house, used primarily by the Iroquois as a meeting place. It had a Cherokee teepee until it was blown down by a recent windstorm.

The longhouse, made from a U.S. Army tent, will soon be covered with wood shingles, McGuinn said.

Last Monday, apples were drying over the fire pit, where all food is cooked without using utensils, said McGuinn.

“The meat is laid over the forks of a stick and then turned over to cook the other side,” she said.

Huts called wiccyups are used for shelter. They are made from saplings covered with cattail mats, which provide insulation, McGuinn said.

“Everything you need can be found in a cattail,” McGuinn said. The leaves can even be fashioned into a toy for children, she added.

The lifespan of a wiccyup is about five years, she said.

A “debris hut” made from fallen wood and covered with dried leaves and brush stands through the winter, providing shelter the past few years for a black bear that winters there, McGuinn said.

“The original natives used debris huts as a kind of emergency shelter for travelers,” she added.

Animals are a big part of native culture, she said, with nothing going to waste when an animal is killed for food.

They hunt, but use all parts of the animal, and what is not used is returned to nature, providing food for other animals, Hicks-Lee said.

“The native people believed all living things have a spirit and a right to live,” he added.

“Our children are taught, unless you need it, don’t take it,” McGuinn said.

The village also contains drying racks, where hides are hung to cure after they are scraped and prepared for use as blankets, clothing and hut coverings, Hicks-Lee said.

The tribe has held five Pow-Wows, or gatherings, for other east coast area American Indians in Mansfield and Whitneyville over the years, and plans to do more as soon as money becomes available, McGuinn said.

They also do demonstrations at schools and other locations, including one planned for November at the Blossburg Head Start.
                        "Love is like the wind, better felt than heard." ~ compliments of the Lumbee Warrior

"She walks in beauty in two worlds." ~ Lumbee Proverb

Comment

Another Article

Fake Medicine man Jailed, charged again with felony, 45 counts of sexual misconduct alleged
                          By David Melmer
                          Indian Country Today

LUZERNE COUNTY, Penn.-
                          David "Two Wolves" Smith, was sent to jail for violation of parole after sexual misconduct with a minor. Mr. Smith, who claimed to be of American Indian descent, conducted a phony purification ceremony during which he fondled a minor female. He said he may have made a mistake in telling her to wear a swimsuit and that he held her to console her a little longer than he should. While on probation from the earlier conviction, he struck again and faces 45 counts of sexual misconduct, and warrants were issued for his arrest. Bradford County District Attorney's office charged Mr. Smith with 30 counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, 10 counts of sexual assault, both felonies; four counts of indecent assault and one count of corruption of minors, both misdemeanors.

In Luzerne County he was accused of violating his probation between December 15, 1995 and January 31, 1996, However, the full battery of charges coining from Bradford County state the offenses occurred over a three and one-half year period with a 12-year-old girl. Mr. Smith headed the "Eastern Intertribal Alliance," a group of people that practiced American Indian type religious ceremonies. No official tribe has recognized Mr. Smith as a member, but he claims to be part Lakota. He has also on occasion, claimed Eastern Delaware, which the federally tribe officially denies. Mr. Smith is not a member of a federally recognized tribe, although the state prison system of Pennsylvania allowed him to carry eagle feathers in the prisons to counsel and pray with the American Indian inmates. The state system has rejected legitimate federally recognized spiritual leaders and has kept them from entering the prison in the past. Mr. Smith admits to receiving $30 per hour to counsel and conduct ceremonies in the prisons. "I'm not a threat to society or to any human being," Mr. Smith said tearfully, as Senior Judge Gifford Capellini revoked Mr. Smith's probation and ordered him to jail. "I thought I was going home, and now they say I did these things,"Mr. Smith said. As judge Capellini removed probation he said, "Probation is not anappropriate sentence for you." While Mr. Smith claimed he was not a threat to society or any human being, he was being charged with 45 more counts of sexual misconduct. Mr. Smith was ordered to undergo psychological evaluation and attend sexual counseling. He is prohibited from having contact with a minor outside of the presence of a responsible adult.
                          "Love is like the wind, better felt than heard." ~ compliments of the Lumbee Warrior

"She walks in beauty in two worlds." ~ Lumbee Proverb

Comment

Back in the 90's at this one PW in MO, a yonega woman decided she'd strip on down to nothin' and lay down on the blanket during a blanket song for the Drums!

Guess they shooed her on outta there, but that has got to be the wierdest.

Or maybe it was that time my brother and I saw a yonega woman and her little girl. The kid was all dressed in this Disney Pocahontas stuff and her mom tried to enter her into the girls trad. catagory at Wash Univ. PW (big competition powwow)

<shaking my head>
                            Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

"
                              Carol McGuinn, Moore, of York, and spiritual leader Shane “Gently Walks the Trail of the Black Bear” Hicks-Lee of Blossburg talked about the peaceful way of life they are trying to share with the community, along with Joanne “Grandmother Dragonfly” Burget, of York, who was visiting.
                              "

hey blackbear, is this guy stalking you?

The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets

Comment

Originally posted by billyjoejimbob
                                KIIYANI - yeah so I made those outfits. They were for a school play, not powwow dancing!!! It was a remake of ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST.

Maybe the lobster stick was a stolen prop from the Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest. Probably belong to one of Davy Jones' crew.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.