Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Curious..what is the craziest newage/wannabe thing you've seen??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infor on "Kilt" Use

Lots of weird stuff out there - no doubt about that.

But I wanted to say something about "kilts" and the use of.

Some people wear them and don't really know their use in Native American Culture. Too bad because the "kilt" has been used in Native American Culture for a very, very long time.

Now - before you get bent our of shape do your reserach:
    Native Cultures of North and South America had "kilts." From the Incan to the Mayan to the Timicua and as far north as the ancestors of the Haudenesaunee wore kilts before breahcloths and leggings became the fashion.

Later you will find that the Scottish and their "kilt" were accepted by many Native Tribes before the French and English and other Eurpoeans. In fact several North Eastern Tribes accepted the Scottish and their unusal dress of the "kilt" in the early 18th Century. By the time of the French & Indian War one could see the influence of Scottish Plaid in some Native American Clothing such as shirts, wrap skirts and match coats.

In the South East, some Natives even wore "Scottish & Irish kilts." Most were of course of part ancestry of either Scottish or Irish blood and Creek and Seminole Blood. One of the most famous was a Creek that called himself McIntosh and was painted by several 19th Century artists - one showing him in a kilt.

The bad thing is that most don't know the history of the "kilt" and its use in Ancietn Native American and Native America since 1700. And they use it badly and make a mockery of our culture and the great Scottish and Irish Culture. If done right the "kilt" is acutally fine in some Native American Culture. Note key word there like always is "some."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Iron Eagle View Post
      Lots of weird stuff out there - no doubt about that.

But I wanted to say something about "kilts" and the use of.

Some people wear them and don't really know their use in Native American Culture. Too bad because the "kilt" has been used in Native American Culture for a very, very long time.

Now - before you get bent our of shape do your reserach:
      Native Cultures of North and South America had "kilts." From the Incan to the Mayan to the Timicua and as far north as the ancestors of the Haudenesaunee wore kilts before breahcloths and leggings became the fashion.

Later you will find that the Scottish and their "kilt" were accepted by many Native Tribes before the French and English and other Eurpoeans. In fact several North Eastern Tribes accepted the Scottish and their unusal dress of the "kilt" in the early 18th Century. By the time of the French & Indian War one could see the influence of Scottish Plaid in some Native American Clothing such as shirts, wrap skirts and match coats.

In the South East, some Natives even wore "Scottish & Irish kilts." Most were of course of part ancestry of either Scottish or Irish blood and Creek and Seminole Blood. One of the most famous was a Creek that called himself McIntosh and was painted by several 19th Century artists - one showing him in a kilt.

The bad thing is that most don't know the history of the "kilt" and its use in Ancietn Native American and Native America since 1700. And they use it badly and make a mockery of our culture and the great Scottish and Irish Culture. If done right the "kilt" is acutally fine in some Native American Culture. Note key word there like always is "some."
      Tom IE, I have always liked your posts. You have some good information. However, this paragraph caught my attention. Did the civilizations you mention wear this 'attire' before or after contact with europeans? (You didn't state the time period). I'm just wondering if it was before european contact, then the above mentioned civilizations would not have have known them as 'kilts' since that word was not in their vocabulary. Wouldn't they have been called some word in their language? Some things just catch your eyes.LOL

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

• A Developer who built a live/work community brhind us, hired a so called "Medicine man" to bless the ground breaking. The developer told my father in law that the Medicine Man was Cherokee and his people lived on the land before the whites came. When my father in law and his mother told him that Creeks owned the land in this area and that his grandmother was Creek, the deveoloper told them both that they were wrong. Granny Callie told him SHE KNEW WHAT TRIBE HER MOTHER and grandparents belonged too!The man told her he was sure she was wrong and at her age(93) had probably forgotten. She looked at my father in law and told him to get the family Bible and call your aunts Helen and Martha!
        Can you belive this man would tell a woman that she didn't know her own tribe or familly? Yep, he's white, pasty white.
        Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

• Kilt Like

Joe's Dad - you are very right as it would of course been called something else - various terms in the various languages. "Kilt" is the common English word and English translastion for the item of clothing. Of course the actual word "kilt" is thought to be of Danish origin.

For instance other terms used by Scholars to talk about the item of clothing in the New World have been:

Apron
          Ponchito
          Hip Cloth
          Rodillera
          Wrap
          Sapeta
          Toga
          Tunic
          Robe

And of course the common term "kilt like."

Toga, Tunic and Robe were some of the best English words to try and describe the fine rainment of Mayan and later Aztec Royalty.

As far as the time period, it was before White Contact.

It is often thought that Kokopelli is wearing a "kilt" like garment. That was popular with the people of that area. In fact many Tribes of the South West and North West still use a "kilt" like garment as part of their traditional clothing.
          Last edited by Tom Iron Eagle; 04-02-2007, 03:11 PM. Reason: Content

Comment

• This thread is hilarious!

Someone posted earlier about renaissance/medieval fairs. I have been to those renaissance/medieval fairs before; they are definitely *interesting* to say the least. I see my fair share of weird stuff there.

Asheville is known for it's *new age* crowd. We have all sorts of strange things that go on here. On Fridays, they have a "drum circle" downtown in this small park. It's basically a bunch of hippies sitting in a semicircle playing all sorts of different drums and then a bunch of people dance around. I've heard all sorts of stories about stuff that goes on during those, such as old ladies dancing topless and such. Not sure how much of it is true because I've only been down there while it was going on once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meow View Post
              This thread is hilarious!

Someone posted earlier about renaissance/medieval fairs. I have been to those renaissance/medieval fairs before; they are definitely *interesting* to say the least. I see my fair share of weird stuff there.

Asheville is known for it's *new age* crowd. We have all sorts of strange things that go on here. On Fridays, they have a "drum circle" downtown in this small park. It's basically a bunch of hippies sitting in a semicircle playing all sorts of different drums and then a bunch of people dance around. I've heard all sorts of stories about stuff that goes on during those, such as old ladies dancing topless and such. Not sure how much of it is true because I've only been down there while it was going on once.
              When I was in college in the late 1960s, my roommate was from Asheville and we went over there quite a lot. I can't believe the place is new-age now. Man, it was so conservative back then that my friends brother used to get grief just because he let a black friend of his ride in his car. To think the hippies are there playing Indian every week just blows my mind wide open.

Comment

• LMAOH!............ okay ya'all are nuts, or shall I say the stories are. Now the sniffin poo bizziness.......that is too much. Hmmmmmm wonderin who is sniffin my sh**....haha. Dang, I wonder if that person had too many of those doo doo bombs at their front door as a kid...ayeeee.

Now if you all wanna see a sight, or maybe 'barely' see a sight, the Stanford and Berkeley Powwows are total magnets for some of these 'nut' jobs. Women clad in psuedo buckskin halter tops, jingles included...... teeny weeny dresses almost covering nothing

Oh what was the worst was on some of the 'sunrise' ceremonies to Alcatraz during Thanksgiving at 530am the bongo beating dreadlocked hippies to go along with your coffee and donuts. I mean do'nuts'.....ayeeeee. I don't know if they still do that, man, that was a trip, and annoying. Back in the mid-90's they used to go to the Berkeley powwow and beat their bongos along with the drums, gawwwwww, talk bout annoying. LOL

Ntown, does that guy who painted himself in all white or red still do that over there?? I remember that guy creeped me out, I think that was up that way. Gosh, I feel all old now.....haha.
                You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
                [email protected]

Comment

• Sadly, I will admit, I've been in and shopped at "New Age"/Metaphysical bookstore. Mostly for the reason that anything regarding a religion that isn't Christian in a Borders or Barnes and Noble tends to be somewhat sugar-coated (and I'm actually working on a comic/story that involves a fair amount of folklore and, therefor research). Anyway, I feel sorry for the folks who work at those stores. Every time I've gone in, there's always somebody showing off to the worker how much they "know". There was one lady talking to the guy behind the counter about how she couldn't go to sleep 'cuz she came to some realization of how large the universe is and how small and insignificant we all are and blahblahblah. I noticed a book on the counter just perfect for my comic. Admittedly, I got a bit excited and skipped up to the counter, pointed at it, and said "Ah, ha!" out loud and interrupted the lady's story. Both where taken by surprise and stared at me. Feeling rather silly, I apologized for my outburst and briefly explained that I'd been search for something like this and had finally found it. The lady scoffed and said "Oh, that's nice" and went back to ignoring me.
                  So, right after she was excitedly and mystically telling somebody else how humbled she was by this experience she had, then she looked down her nose a me for interrupting her. What a jackhat.

In other news, during the Harry Potter Midnight party that's coming up at the Borders', I'm planning on dressing up like Prof. Trelawney and giving phony palm readings ("Your death will involve a shoe and a hot dog cart"). I may charge an extra $1 if they want me to "see the Grim".

Originally posted by Tom Iron Eagle View Post
                  But I wanted to say something about "kilts" and the use of....
                  However, I'm sure that the way the kilt is cut, folded, and worn is different in the cultures. The Scottish kilt should be easily identified from the similar apparel worn by the Natives of the Americas. The Scottish kilt is actually much more complicated than most people think. Originally, it was uses so that at the end of the day, it could be taken off, unfolded, and used as a blanket. There was nothing about it that was sewn except maybe some hemming to keep it from unraveling from the edges. Then in the morning it's folded and draped on a belt in a certain way before the Scot goes on his way. The back is folded to resemble pleats while the front is flat. There is a technical term for the pouch that is usually worn with it, but I can't remember, and it's not worth looking up at the moment.

Kudos on the incredibly informative post, though. I had no idea. Are there entire Tribes associated with Clans, or is it just individuals/certain families within the Tribes than can claim heritage to a Scottish or Irish Clan?

Originally posted by Meow View Post
                  This thread is hilarious!

I am less amused by the open Wiccans than I am about the people walking around with swords thinking they're tough ****. Simply by watching the way they walk, I can tell they couldn't use the thing to save their lives. It's the best when tournaments are held and none of them actually get into the pit. They talk tough, but when we invite them in, the excuses come out. Yeah, you're real tough.
                  Not a New Age thing, but just as funny, in my opinion.
                  Last edited by NightshadeTea; 04-09-2007, 02:43 AM.
                  ~Like a true ninja, you'll never see me working~

Comment

• every year at one pow wow here in CT i see the same woman in the Eastern Blanket catagory whose regalia is, how shall i say, is a bit off. she is more ready for Mardi Gras than a pow wow . its like she found the seguin department at the fabric store and got several pounds of it. she had seguins on a bowler hat and a vest and skirt. she possibly means well, but.....
                    Bahnisiain

Comment

• Last weekend this woman came up to my mom's booth and asked her if she had any phoenix feathers for sale. My mom was like..."umm I think those are mythical" The woman asked her if she was sure because her great grandmother (a full blooded indian medicine woman) had told her that she needed pheonix feathers for ceremony. The best part was her 9 yr old kid was like "mom you didn't know that pheonixs aren't real?" I just about died! It was so hard to keep a straight face for that one.
                      I'm not mean....You're just a sissy

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
                      http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70

Comment

• So on Criss Angel last night, they were in some weird place, wiff some weird Native wanta be lookin' guy. They started some tipi poles on fire and put Criss under there and he did this lil' weird disappearing act. It was not the strangest, but no doubt, strange, all playin' with fire and what not!

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

• The craziest wannabe that I've ever seen is Nezbah with a mint-flavored southern mix of dental floss g-string, 13 inch heels, wool leg warmers, and a sheepskin bikini.

Comment

• Originally posted by ndngirl70 View Post
                            Last weekend this woman came up to my mom's booth and asked her if she had any phoenix feathers for sale. My mom was like..."umm I think those are mythical" The woman asked her if she was sure because her great grandmother (a full blooded indian medicine woman) had told her that she needed pheonix feathers for ceremony. The best part was her 9 yr old kid was like "mom you didn't know that pheonixs aren't real?" I just about died! It was so hard to keep a straight face for that one.
                            OMG that is so damn funny, even her son knew they were fake.

Well anyway there weirdest thing I saw was at a Redhawk powwow in NY. On the whole the powwow was good except for this one woman, or at least it was dressed as a woman. Anyway this he/she was doing fancy shawl moves with a white crocheted granny shawl and short shorts. She had long black hair which looked like a wig topped with a red cloth headband and a long peacock feather sticking out of it. She would also say stuff to dancers as they passed buy like "Peace be with you" or something.
                            Cariblanguage.org

Comment

• Originally posted by Nezbah View Post
                              This past weekend, my friend had a house warming party. Right in the middle of the party, she said....... 'oh wait, they are hanging themselves again.....' I was like whaaaaaa?? Mind you, that there were a bunch of natives at this house warming party. She explained to us, that these people pierce themselves and hang themselves from a rope dangling from the tree chanting and reading from some book. I was like.....nahhhhhhhhh, this is crazeeee. Low and behold, that night they had the light on the tree, you can hear a low chant. We sat up on the wall, the couple was piercing themselves in the back and they were hoisted up by ropes then hung off the tree. I guess they were getting 'married' or something. Anyhow, they all circled around, chanting and reading from this book. Of course, these were all white people doing this, the process took a couple of hours. I guess they do this every other night.

Of course some of the natives got all unhinged at the site of this, but hey..... don't surprise me though. Me, personally, I just let it be, no matter how many ways you want to 'adopt' things, they'll never be native......

So we're going to sell some tickets for everyone to come see this 'side show'........ ayeeeeeeee. $1.00 ..... just kidding.

So what other crazee wannabee/new age/whatever stuff have you seen??

:::::::crack heads::::::::
                              187TatankaOyate..KingBird..DakotahHotaine..
                              ..MidniteExpress'..HighLife..

..BuffaloHorse
                              ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
                              BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
                              ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
                              LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
                              StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
                              Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
                              ..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
                              CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
                              NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
                              RIP lil brother

Comment

• Lol...At the UN powwow this year there was this balding guy in "native patterned" breechcloth and he was bobbing his head around... lol. Only guy w/o a roach. I think I recognized his moccasins from looking around on ebay, they were the historical side fringe type of the Kiowa. lol. He also had no bustle and yet he was trying for mens northern traditional
                                Oh and at Delta Park as I was getting beads n' stuff as we passes this one booth there was this lady holding up imported beadwork telling a guy "I really want one that expresses my inner spirit animal"....
                                Last edited by Zi-Sunka; 07-16-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.