Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I Look Indian....i Could Do It......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I Look Indian....i Could Do It......

Hey you guys, yesterday I was sooo upset and couldn't say a word cause I was in my company uniform on one of our planes.

This Philipino girl who lives here in Burque sat next to me on my flight home, we got to talking about how fast Burque is growing. I mentioned a major movie co. is building a new studio here.

Her reply was 'OH GREAT..I'D LOVE TO DO SOME EXTRA WORK ....CAUSE I LOOK INDIAN..I COULD PLAY AN INDIAN, PEOPLE HERE THINK I'M INDIAN ALL THE TIME.'

My mouth dropped, but remembering I was in my airline uniform and she was a paying customer I said nothing. She could 'pass' for Indian, but has absolutely NO Indian blood. She gave me her business card (she has a small store out here). I plan on going to her store and telling her what I think of her comment when I'm not in a company uniform.

If this, or any other film company made a movie about Philipino's and cast Mexicans, Guamainians, Hawaiians or any one else who...LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE PHILIPINO, that community would have a FIT. They are really cliquish when it comes to MONEY and prefer it be spread amongst themselves. So what makes this girl think it's okay to 'pretend' to be Indian, especially in New Mexico????

She's married to a Wasicu with money and I guess this makes her think she can do whatever she wants, but to say out loud on an airplane with Indians on board and to my face...what nerve.

Do any of the film companies ask for enrollment cards when casting a movie, or can anyone with dark hair and olive to brown skin just walk up and ask to be an extra? Do Casting Agencies that specialize in casting for Natives Americans ever ask for proof?

After I cool off, I'm going to go to her store and let her know exactly what I think of her comment, and I'll say it in front of her 'trendy' Wasicu customers. They probably think she's Native American too.

V

Civilzation has been thrust upon me..and it has not added one whit to my love for truth, honesty, and generosity Chief Luther Standing Bear

I'm reminded of when a native model was talking to our youth organization years ago. She said she was hired on the basis of "a look". Sometimes they needed a Mexican look, sometimes Middle Eastern, etc...

She was NOT too proud to tell them, "heck no, I'm not doing that cuz I'm Native American". She was just glad to be a continuing working model.
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Mexican's do have Native blood, Mayan or Aztec like other Indigenous tribes from Central Americans. There's no shortage of Indians in Albuquerque and I understand the need to make a buck and there plenty of Ndns here who really need the work as an 'extra'.

It was this lady's attitude about it and that fact that she obviously has money. In Cali I worked with a lot of really nice Filipinos and still see some of them, but they always look out for their own first, no matter how tight they are with you, which isn't a bad thing. Bit, there would be pickets all over the place if a film company cast non Filipinos to play Filipinos in a movie.

The company I work for is really conservative, and flight attendants are guilty until proven innocent, that's why I couldn't 'go off' on her on the plane. I'm too close to retiring to get fired over some wannabee

V
      Last edited by veritasxl; 12-14-2006, 01:59 PM.
      Civilzation has been thrust upon me..and it has not added one whit to my love for truth, honesty, and generosity Chief Luther Standing Bear

Comment

Good for you V... but when you do tell her, take your time, and don't go off half cocked. Presenting what you are about to with her, if you go off all red faced and loud, it's gonna go in one ear and out the other.
        I know the kind of woman you are talking about. I run into Phillipino women like the one you describe all the time ,(fortunatly not all phillipino women are like that) and to explain anything to them that you really want them to hear.. you don't come off like it's a challenge or they will just go into defense mode and you'll accomplish nothing.
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I don't know man......better than having a white person in brown face paint like back in John Wayne days....*L* But I'm not also around Phillipinos at all living in a small town area; but I think this is more about them than the fact of a non native taking a native role. Maybe??? I will be the first one to say though; if we stuck together as one native community instead of tearing each other down; we'd be getting somewhere and making the gov't listen TO US and not talking AT US. But that's beside the point. Girl, don't let some trifling remark like that girl made upset you. It's her mentality; not yours. People eventually answer in one way or another about what they do.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Thanks

Blackbear and Candae Princess you both are right and I appreciate it. I guess it was just one of those days, a wasicu had just asked me if she COULD BUY THE RING I HAD ON MY HAND. That's right I have this Turqoise and Onyx ring. The Onyx being for my maternal grandmother who is African, so the ring is special to me and will go to Homalosa when I cross over. After asking me where I got it, she said well 'let me buy it from you'. I told her EVERY thing isn't for sale!

Then this lady, it was just too much.

Thanks,

V

Comment

Originally posted by veritasxl
              After asking me where I got it, she said well 'let me buy it from you'.

Ms.V,

You're a good one, because even though I have the patience of Job, I woulda told ol' girl off.
              SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

You are a very patient woman! I've had 2 people ask me if they could buy some jewelry I'm wearing....the first time I was stunned, so I just laughed at them (as my first instinct). This really confused the woman and she got really embarrassed. So the second time, I laughed like it was a joke again and it seemed to do the trick. And I hope they are joking because that is just tooooo crazy. One time, it was a white woman who wanted my ring, and another time (a month ago actually), a black woman who was a receptionist wanted my earrings. She said she had a necklace to match them!!!!

Comment

Here is South Dakota we have a film commission that makes sure that the production companies that want to film in South Dakota, and utilize Native American actors are actually hiring Native American actors....not just "look a likes". Because now a days they do casting calls that specifically state "NATIVE AMERICAN ACTORS" and state the age ranges and talents needed, or if they have to, they will specify a "Look", but they are very careful about hiring Natives when they need Natives. It took a lot of work, but it's all for the good of our Native people who are trying to work in the film industry, and who might want to do more work in "non-specific" roles. You might want to look around and see if there is a Native American group who has some kind of commission like this, or will be interested in starting one. Good luck, oh, and Great job picking up on that!!
                  Ipsica Waci
                  Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Hey,

I got some white blood and look pretty pale. You think I could get in as an extra on a film of wannabes? I see a lot of them down here in Florida so I think I can act like one.

LMAO
                    I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

Hey you guys, yesterday I was sooo upset and couldn't say a word cause I was in my company uniform on one of our planes.

This Philipino girl who lives here in Burque sat next to me on my flight home, we got to talking about how fast Burque is growing. I mentioned a major movie co. is building a new studio here.

Her reply was 'OH GREAT..I'D LOVE TO DO SOME EXTRA WORK ....CAUSE I LOOK INDIAN..I COULD PLAY AN INDIAN, PEOPLE HERE THINK I'M INDIAN ALL THE TIME.'

My mouth dropped, but remembering I was in my airline uniform and she was a paying customer I said nothing. She could 'pass' for Indian, but has absolutely NO Indian blood. She gave me her business card (she has a small store out here). I plan on going to her store and telling her what I think of her comment when I'm not in a company uniform.

If this, or any other film company made a movie about Philipino's and cast Mexicans, Guamainians, Hawaiians or any one else who...LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE PHILIPINO, that community would have a FIT. They are really cliquish when it comes to MONEY and prefer it be spread amongst themselves. So what makes this girl think it's okay to 'pretend' to be Indian, especially in New Mexico????

She's married to a Wasicu with money and I guess this makes her think she can do whatever she wants, but to say out loud on an airplane with Indians on board and to my face...what nerve.

Do any of the film companies ask for enrollment cards when casting a movie, or can anyone with dark hair and olive to brown skin just walk up and ask to be an extra? Do Casting Agencies that specialize in casting for Natives Americans ever ask for proof?

After I cool off, I'm going to go to her store and let her know exactly what I think of her comment, and I'll say it in front of her 'trendy' Wasicu customers. They probably think she's Native American too.

V

When you go to this womans store very polietly point this out to her that people in her culture and race would be very upset if Natives played her race and that Natives feel the same way. Then point out that you personally didn't appericate the way she said what she did. If you point out that it is your personal opnion and you are not in company uniform or on company grounds she can not complain about your actions.
                      Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

Blackbear and Candae Princess you both are right and I appreciate it. I guess it was just one of those days, a wasicu had just asked me if she COULD BUY THE RING I HAD ON MY HAND. That's right I have this Turqoise and Onyx ring. The Onyx being for my maternal grandmother who is African, so the ring is special to me and will go to Homalosa when I cross over. After asking me where I got it, she said well 'let me buy it from you'. I told her EVERY thing isn't for sale!

Then this lady, it was just too much.

Thanks,

V
                        I had a high school friends wife ask to buy my mothers engagement ring and her dinner ring off my hands once and even after I told her what they were and why I would never sale them, she kept insisting that I SHOULD sale them to her. When I then pointed out that we had asked them NOT to come visit us as they had because my mother had just passed and there is no way I would sale my mothers rings, they were for my daughters, she became beligerent. Her husband finally took her aside and told her to back off.
                        My husband later asked the husband, our friend to leave and told me to just ingnore the white trash and not let it get to me.
                        Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.