?:::Pie:::?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?:::Pie:::?

ok anyone got a simple pie recipe? iz gonna make a pie today but i ~~dont know how to make a pie~~ lol anwayz

anykind of pie my favz r

:::Apple::

Bananna

::cherry::

er any other kind u may have!!!

::::creamcheese:::is that considered pie er cake?? well if anyonez got a fast recipe fer it id love to hear it ?
    187TatankaOyate..KingBird..DakotahHotaine..
    ..MidniteExpress'..HighLife..

..BuffaloHorse
    ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
    BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
    ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
    LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
    StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
    Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
    ..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
    CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
    NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
    RIP lil brother

No Bake Cheesecake Rated E-Z for beginners :-)

Ok, so it's not as good as a real baked NY style cheesecake to a cheesecake Natzi, but ya gotta start somewhere and this stuff is not bad.

In the baked goods aisle you can find graham cracker crusts ALREADY MADE in the pan. Take your favorite flavor - they come in chocolate, cinnamon and plain last time I looked.

While you're at the store in the baking aisle get a Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk (Eagle Brand is a popular one, just make sure it says SWEETENED - just condensed milk is a whole 'nother thing) and some lemon juice (not the kind you drink the kind you bake with - brands are ReaLemon or are in those fake plastic lemons). You will need 1/3 c. which is around 3 ounces. If you don't have any vanilla extract at home you'll need some. Don't get the "imitation" stuff, sure it's cheaper but it tastes nassy!

You'll also need a can of pie filling. Comes in all flavors - cherry, apple, blueberry, peach, etc. AND an 8 oz package of cream cheese. You can use Neufschatel cheese if it's cheaper - it works the same.

Ok now for the assemblying -

Use an electric mixer on high speed to blend the can of sweetened condensed milk with the cream cheese. When it is really mixed up (about 5 minutes or so - it should be velvety smooth), pour in 1/3rd C. lemon juice and add a 1/4 tsp vanilla. Continue using the mixer on high speed until the mixture starts to thicken.

Pour the mixture into the pie crust and chill until firm (about 6 hours in the 'fridge). Top the "cheesecake" with the can of pie filling and serve or refridgerate some more (if you like the topping cold too).

And didja know there is a Recipe forum here on pw.com? You can find it here: http://www.powwows.com/gathering/forumdisplay.php?f=84
    Last edited by between2worlds; 12-17-2006, 01:08 PM. Reason: sometimes english escapes me..

Comment

Easy-Peasy Fruit Pie

Fruit pie really isn't any harder than the no bake cheese cake - 'cept you gotta cook it.

You can buy ready made pie crusts - Pilsbury sells 'em in packages of 2, most stores have their own brands. You can find them where they keep the ready made biscuits in the refridgerator case.

You'll need a pie pan. You can get a foil (disposable) or use metal, glass or ceramic. What you use will vary the cooking time a bit - glass and ceramic tend to "cook quicker" than the metal kind.

You'll also need fruit - apples, peaches, berries and even pears are good choices. Have fun - combine flavors like putting a handful of raspberries in a peach pie or some fresh ground cranberries in an apple pie! Make sure the fruit is ripe (yeah, go ahead and eat some of the fruit its the best way to find out!). Now the tricky part - you need to try to figure out how "juicy" the fruit is. That's why tasting works so well. If the apples seem a little dry, that will affect how much flour you put in the filling. If you bite into the apple and the juice runs down your chin - you'll wanna use a bit more flour (more on that in a minute). Berries are ALWAYS juicy.

Now some people say use a particular kind of apple like Granny Smith or Winesap. Truthfully, I've made great pies out of Golden Delicious (traditionally an "eating apple" not a "cooking apple") and every other kind in between. They're all good!

Let your pie crusts sit on the counter until they are at room temperature - otherwise when you unfold them, they will crack. You can kind of mush any holes back together once you get it fitted in the pan with a wet finger tip - but why invite hassles?

Put one crust in your pie pan. You'll want the same amount of crust hanging over all the way around.

Start the oven pre-heating to 350 deg F.

Peel and seed fruits like apples, peaches and pears. Remove the pits from cherries. Important - for things like apples you will need to cut them into slices: Make Sure The Slices Are As Close To The Same Thickness As Possible. Otherwise, some of your fruit will be done and some of it won't be!

You'll need 3-4 C. of prepared fruit - for me this is about a dozen small apples or 8-9 large ones. Put them in a big bowl and add 4 Tablespoons (the measuring kind) flour and the same amount of sugar. If what you're using for fruit is a little tart add a little more sugar AND a little more flour (cuz the sugar will pull the juice out of the fruit while it's cooking). If the fruit was juicy add a little more flour. For berries you will want to use 6 tablespoons of flour with 4 tablespoons of sugar. If you're going to put something like cinnamon in (about 1/2 teaspoon), now is the time to do it. Mix the flour and sugar (and spices if you're using any) in with a spoon or rubber spatula until all of the fruit is coated.

Dump the fruit into the crust lined pie pan. If you are adding raspberries to a peach pie, I like to just sprinkle them on top of the peaches. You should have a mound of fruit that is 2 -3 inches higher than the sides of your pan. Don't worry about that - it WILL cook down. Finally, I like to put the equivalent of 2 pats of butter dotted around the top of the fruit.

Now take your second crust and cover the fruit. You'll now have dough from that crust hanging over the edge of your pie. Take the upper and lower part of the overhang and fold them UNDER together like you would a lunch bag and tuck that along the rim of your pie pan. Some people get all the way fancy making sure the fold will stay shut - the easiest way is to take the tines of a fork and press them into the dough rim all the way around the lip of the pie pan.

The last thing you need to do is take a sharp knife and cut a steam hole in the upper crust. You can get all the way fancy with this too, but a simple 1" high "X" will work.

Again - some people take a beaten egg and brush egg on the top crust and sprinkle with some sugar or cinnamon and sugar. Your choice - it makes it "prettier" but isn't necessary.

Put The Pie Pan On A Cookie Sheet or a Square Of Aluminum Foil. Pies tend to drip sometimes and talk about a nasty smell when the drippings make a mess on the bottom of the oven!!!!

Bake for 45 minutes or until the pie crust gets browned and you can see the filling bubbling through the steam hole.

Comment

Dang. Now I want cheesecake. thanks.
        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

hmmm.. I wonder about rhubarb cheesecake would be.......hhhmmm
          "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

~!~!thanx 2 worlds~!~! ill try that :)

so now if anyone knows how to make a butter crust er yea i seen it on tv hehe ~but a simple crust~ i dont even know how to do that sheesh and a crumble top for an apple pie~!~ like i said i seen on tv n i wanted it but i dunno how to make it

..BuffaloHorse
            ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..

Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
            RIP lil brother

Comment

Originally posted by shorty
              ~!~!thanx 2 worlds~!~! ill try that :)

so now if anyone knows how to make a butter crust er yea i seen it on tv hehe ~but a simple crust~ i dont even know how to do that sheesh and a crumble top for an apple pie~!~ like i said i seen on tv n i wanted it but i dunno how to make it
              *chuckles a bit* You'll have to ask someone else about making pie crusts. I can make great frybread, excellent bannock bread, good batterbreads and even decent biscuits. But when it comes to pie dough or yeast bread - well let's just say you'd be better off using buckskin for pie dough and a brick for yeast loaf bread instead of asking me how to make it. Cuz those two things are an improvement over what I can do.

When I make pies I have Tainee make the pie crusts and she is in charge of all homemade yeast breads! Recipes don't help me, having people show me hasn't helped, even having people coach me while I make these two things yields the same abyssmal results.

Now for crumb topping I know two sorts - a soft butter crumb (like you put on Dutch Apple or French Apple Pies) and a crisper kind using oats that is also classfied as a crumb topping - which kind do you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
                hmmm.. I wonder about rhubarb cheesecake would be.......hhhmmm
                mmmmmmm sounds goot.

Is now the time to tell ya I got Gramma's Rhubarb Custard, Rhubarb Meringue and Rhubarb Supreme Pie recipes?

Comment

Originally posted by between2worlds
                  *chuckles a bit* You'll have to ask someone else about making pie crusts. I can make great frybread, excellent bannock bread, good batterbreads and even decent biscuits. But when it comes to pie dough or yeast bread - well let's just say you'd be better off using buckskin for pie dough and a brick for yeast loaf bread instead of asking me how to make it. Cuz those two things are an improvement over what I can do.

When I make pies I have Tainee make the pie crusts and she is in charge of all homemade yeast breads! Recipes don't help me, having people show me hasn't helped, even having people coach me while I make these two things yields the same abyssmal results.

Now for crumb topping I know two sorts - a soft butter crumb (like you put on Dutch Apple or French Apple Pies) and a crisper kind using oats that is also classfied as a crumb topping - which kind do you want?
                  BTW, I make the crisco pie crusts ,its on the can its pretty simple to me. And as far as bread go's I have a home ec reciepe I LOVE !!! Ill dig it out, im going to be making hot rolls for several people real soon if you wish I can post it, and yes its cheating but when im in a hurry i get caned pie filling and put it in a homemade pie crust and my crew just loves it, and I always make extra dough so I can make cin and suger crust for my lil ones,and also I like to make shapes to go on top of my pies, like if Im making a cherry pie i free hand cherrys with leaves and stems ,and apples for apple, and its easy for people to tell what kind of pie it is before cutting into the pie, I even make a extra special apple pie for a certain brother of mine with Tipi's on it.
                  I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Plumes
                    BTW, I make the crisco pie crusts ,its on the can its pretty simple to me. And as far as bread go's I have a home ec reciepe I LOVE !!! Ill dig it out, im going to be making hot rolls for several people real soon if you wish I can post it, and yes its cheating but when im in a hurry i get caned pie filling and put it in a homemade pie crust and my crew just loves it, and I always make extra dough so I can make cin and suger crust for my lil ones,and also I like to make shapes to go on top of my pies, like if Im making a cherry pie i free hand cherrys with leaves and stems ,and apples for apple, and its easy for people to tell what kind of pie it is before cutting into the pie, I even make a extra special apple pie for a certain brother of mine with Tipi's on it.
                    I'd love the recipe Plumes... although Tainee would probably be the one making it.

I tried the recipe on the Crisco can - tough as shoe leather. Tainee made the same recipe - nice - tender and flakey. Tainee watched me make the same recipe.... tough as shoe leather. With pie crusts I'm just cursed

Comment

everytime i wanna make a pie crust my mom says use lard

y lard

y not butter i tried crisco
                      just didnt work out

anywayz i was watching tv n they just threw their crust n pie all together with a crumble top n it only took a few minutes

now y cant i do it
                      i wanna do it too lol !!!!

::::::::::::did someone say hot rolls???

like cinnamon rolls?

anyone got a recipe for :::::::CinnamonROlls???::::

..BuffaloHorse
                      ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..

Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
                      RIP lil brother

Comment

OK Shorty and Pat Im going to start a Pie crust class ,you all have me concerned!!! lol
                        I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Only the cheater kind of cinnamon rolls made outta biscuit dough. Got a recipe that Tainee makes real goot wif yeast. I'm such a jinx with yeast breads that I am actually BANNED from the kitchen when bread gets made.

Comment

aight

everytime i make rolls out of ~scratch~ they end up hard enough to knock an adult out fer a day LOL

must be too much yeast or sometime my water is too hot or to cold or i dont really know but i get pretty upset grrrrrr i usurally wanna jus tear my hair out when i get done

so anyone know how to make rolls like dinner rolls ~~um or even (bakingpowder Biscuits) i always see them in my recipe books or at a friends house errr even in a ** restraunt when the butter jus melts on them **n they look so YUMMY ~!~!~!~ but when i try they turn out rather well ~grosss~ yucky ok well anwayz hope u all have a good day

..BuffaloHorse
                            ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..

Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
                            RIP lil brother

Comment

Now baking powder biscuits I can do - several varieties from white flour through using "exotic" things like cattail pollen or acorn flour. Stuffed biscuits are good too (where you put sausage/cheese or ham/cheese inside -- even make a kind with fruit and cream cheese on the inside). I can post some recipes when I get home tonight, if you want.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.