Meat Pies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat Pies.

Several years ago went to Oklahoma City For a Pow Wow (Red Earth) and there was people on the side of the road with coolers and they were full of what they called Meat Pies and when you would walk by they would ask would you like to buy a Meat Pie, they were good does anyone have a recepie, and has anyone ever had one lets hear from the South.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love meatpies.

I like to bake mine cuz I like that crunchy bread taste. Most people fry it and put potatoes in there.

I like putting serrano peppers in the meat cuz I like the flavor but I don't like it too hot.

My cousin adds cheese.

I want some meatpies tonight!
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
      mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love meatpies.

I like to bake mine cuz I like that crunchy bread taste. Most people fry it and put potatoes in there.

I like putting serrano peppers in the meat cuz I like the flavor but I don't like it too hot.

My cousin adds cheese.

I want some meatpies tonight!
      I LOOOOOVE MEAT PIES!! I really like em w/the potatoes, but i haven't tried em w/cheese...that's a new one Super, i'll have to try that. Dang u guys are makin' me HUNGRY!!!
      *BE EASY*

Comment

Oh no.. kidding about making someone hungry.. this is the last thread my pregnant butt needed to read... I'm outta here...
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

oooooh wow...I love meatpies, too! I've tried a few different meatpies from Oklahoma and New Mexico. There's also a family that makes 'em here. They have the frybread, ground meat with pepper seasoning. It's gooooooood. While I lived in Zuni, New Mexico, my boyfriend's sister would make hers with meat & shredded potatoes. It was goooooood, too. In Oklahoma, I've eaten some with stew meat and ground beef, and was a bit different with their seasoning, but it was good, too. Yummy!
          Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

the first meat pie i ever had was nasty
            the second one was the Best thing ever!!!! guess u just have to have the right kind
            187TatankaOyate..KingBird..DakotahHotaine..
            ..MidniteExpress'..HighLife..

..BuffaloHorse
            ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
            BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
            ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
            LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
            StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
            Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
            ..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
            CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
            NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
            RIP lil brother

Comment

Originally posted by johnjohn View Post
              Several years ago went to Oklahoma City For a Pow Wow (Red Earth) and there was people on the side of the road with coolers and they were full of what they called Meat Pies and when you would walk by they would ask would you like to buy a Meat Pie, they were good does anyone have a recepie, and has anyone ever had one lets hear from the South.
              You really don't want to know what a good meatpie is made of!
              LOL
              Especailly those sold from the side of the road in a Cooler

Just kidding!

Its the seasoning that makes a damn good meatpie!
              I have had good and bad, but they are mostly made from Hamburger.
              But that is where the similiarities end, the person making them that has the seasoning down pat that makes a damn good meatpie.
              And practice

Yummmmm
              Of course the best are sold wrapped in foil from a cooler on the side of the road down from the Cox center in OKC
              LOL
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

Comment

You know.. I made some before and it would have been a pretty darn good job for my first time since I used ground buffalo and suet.. but I forgot to season them so they were bland as hell.... Course the hubby did'nt think they were too bad after dousing them with some tabasco so it was'nt an entire waste of time.
                Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

There's recipes in Native Life for meat pies. I think I'll make some this weekend!!!
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

We had some good meat pies from a lady who was carrying her baby in her arm and pushing a stroller with the cooler in it. Waaaayyy better than the over priced fair-type vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by handgame_native View Post
                      We had some good meat pies from a lady who was carrying her baby in her arm and pushing a stroller with the cooler in it. Waaaayyy better than the over priced fair-type vendors.
                      yep thats almost always true!
                      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

OOOH I love meat pies. I was in OK with a friend of mine and her kids a few years back and during the parade for the opening of the Expo in Anadarko my friends Aunt was selling her meat pies, so I bought one for each of us. One of the kids didn't want their's so my friend and I split it. It was really good with mustard. My friend was telling me that her cousin makes hers with like a beef stew filling in it.

When I got home I was telling my family about them and how good they were so I tried to remember what all was in them and I made some here at home and they were a big hit. Then when I went to visit my family in NC, I was telling my Uncle about them. My Uncle had gone to a boarding school in OK and knew what a meat pie is and he asked me to make some for him. So now, almost, every time that I go to visit he asks me to make him meat pies. He loves them. The last time he asked that I do it with corned beef hash---I didn't like that as much as with the ground beef and potatoes.

We were just talking about meat pies over the weekend and I was asked to make them again.LOL

Comment

I come from the land of meat pies! The pie (which only means meat over here...all those fruits/berries are in the shadows) is so ingrained in our culture and society. 'The Aussie - a pie and a beer'. The stereotype has some truth!

There's so many different styles & flavours I couldn't even count, available as easily as bagels are in the US.

Have fun testing out all your recipes & tasting the results.....a good cut of meat, cooked to falling-apart tenderness is always a good base.

:

Comment

I found this recipe that Between2Worlds posted a couple of months back, for anyone who hasn't been able to find a recipe yet.

"There are all different kinds of meat pies.. but I'm assuming you mean the Cornish Pasty kind?

If you do there are 2 parts - the filling and the crust. I've got tons of crust recipes but I can't make a good one to save my life so I just get the kind from the refrigerator case in the grocery store (when I can't get Tainee to make me any :-) )

Here is a basic filling recipe:

Melt 1 teaspoon shortening in heavy pot. Add 1 pound each of ground beef and ground pork. Cook until pink is gone.

Add 1 bunch of chopped green onions, 4 cloves of minced garlic, 1 chopped bell pepper, and 1 medium chopped onion and season with salt, black and red pepper flakes to taste. (Season well, as meat will lose seasoning during frying.)

When the meat is completely done and the vegetables glazed, remove from heat and drain excess liquid. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour.

Prepare the dough. ****

Break dough into small pieces, roll very thin and cut into rounds using a saucer as a guide. Spread a generous serving spoon of meat filling on one half, use the wet back of a spoon (or a pastry brush dipped in water) to moisten the edges of the circle and fold the plain half of the circle over. Crimp the edges with the tines of a fork.

Drop in deep fat and cook until golden brown. Drain and serve hot. Makes approximately 18.

****Basic Pie Dough Recipe
                            4 cups plain flour
                            2 teaspoons salt
                            1 teaspoon baking powder
                            2 eggs
                            1/2 cup shortening + 1 T
                            1 cup milk

Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening. Beat egg and add to milk. Work gradually into dry ingredients until proper consistency to roll. Roll very thin."

I'm gonna try this one real soon.

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                              There's recipes in Native Life for meat pies. I think I'll make some this weekend!!!

Hey Wyo-Rose....so did you make em?? HOw'd they turn out??
                              *BE EASY*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.