Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jack2011 View Post
    Our pet cockatiel. We call him George.
    awww, GEORGE sure is handsome looking! thanks for posting his picture and letting us know his name…does he talk or do anything special?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
    "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
    "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
    "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
    "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

• Originally posted by APACHEFIRE View Post
      awww, GEORGE sure is handsome looking! thanks for posting his picture and letting us know his name…does he talk or do anything special?
      yes, he likes saying "who's the pretty, pretty, pretty boy?", lol

he likes to preen human hair and snuggle up close to your ear

Comment

• Originally posted by jack2011 View Post
        yes, he likes saying "who's the pretty, pretty, pretty boy?", lol

he likes to preen human hair and snuggle up close to your ear
        yeah, i had a little bird (finch) that would preen me. i dont know why he picked me out of a family of four, but i guess he knew who cleaned his cage and brought him food & water and fed him treats of lettuce. once he started flying around, he always came to sit on my shoulder or head. most of the time i was washing dishes and he landed in the water! i quickly scooped him up, poor guy..and dried him off.
        other times he would come out of his cage and i would set the faucet to cool at a trickle and he would ‘bathe’.
        Last edited by APACHEFIRE; 08-17-2011, 12:55 AM. Reason: making another correction….*sigh*
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
        "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
        "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
        "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
        "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

• Nice looking cockatiel!

I've never had a pet bird. But everytime I've visited someone with one and they've let 'em out of the cage they've immediately flown over and on my head!

I guess that means I'm a shthead?
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by APACHEFIRE View Post
            THANK YOU for posting your ‘babies’ proud OLCHEMIST!

yeah, i caught that pattern too. thanks for posting those ‘candid’ animal shots! they were rather good!
            Thanks! I though they were pretty cool!

Originally posted by APACHEFIRE View Post
            with two and four…i would think he looks like dice when he is moving around. AND…RDNKJ…would you please translate what OLCHEMIST just said above? maybe i am too tired, or just too ignorant..but i only understood a few words, and not the meaning.
            I didn't go into the hard sciences. Not my cup of tea - the social sciences are more my speed. So to augment my very slight knowledge of buckyballs - summarized from wikipedia:

A fullerene is any molecule composed entirely of carbon. They can be in the form of a hollow sphere, ellipsoid or tube. Spherical fullerenes are also called buckyballs, and they resemble the balls used in soccer.

The first fullerene to be discovered was named buckminsterfullerene (C60) in honor of Buckminster Fuller.

So Bucky looks like a soccer ball, which looks like a buckyball.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
              A fullerene is any molecule composed entirely of carbon....
              In material sciences and chemistry circles, they have been the "sexy" molecules of past 25 years. (I've worked in male dominated labs for those two and half decades, so I've heard every joke about ball shaped molecules. Don't even try, LOL.) They have been heavily hyped, some might say over-hyped, as miracle materials. But, the development in its infancy, so who knows.

Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
              So Bucky looks like a soccer ball, which looks like a buckyball.
              It is convoluted. I'm such a geek, LOL.

My best friend is with Apachefire. She thinks Bucky should be called Domino. But after his unfortunate leap into the middle of a greasy, pepperoni pizza... A leap which necessitated a bath. An ugly experience involving arterial spurting and finally throwing the cat into a warm shower and holding the shower door shut until he was not leaving orange, greased footprints on the walls. The name Domino might have other connotations, which could bring back bad memories at least for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                In material sciences and chemistry circles, they have been the "sexy" molecules of past 25 years. (I've worked in male dominated labs for those two and half decades, so I've heard every joke about ball shaped molecules. Don't even try, LOL.) They have been heavily hyped, some might say over-hyped, as miracle materials. But, the development in its infancy, so who knows.
                Buckminster Fuller is one of my middle brother's idols. At one time he even wanted to live in a dome house.

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                It is convoluted. I'm such a geek, LOL.

My best friend is with Apachefire. She thinks Bucky should be called Domino. But after his unfortunate leap into the middle of a greasy, pepperoni pizza... A leap which necessitated a bath. An ugly experience involving arterial spurting and finally throwing the cat into a warm shower and holding the shower door shut until he was not leaving orange, greased footprints on the walls. The name Domino might have other connotations, which could bring back bad memories at least for me.
                I'm with you. With a history like that, the name Domino would be inauspicious.

Mafalda's sister Olga once leapt into the toilet while it was in use! Luckily, she was a kitten at the time so I was able to bathe her in the sink, and she was small enough I didn't have any trouble controlling her. Thank God she hasn't done that again. She's 15+ lbs. now, and I don't think I'd dare try to bathe her myself! lol
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
                  Mafalda's sister Olga once leapt into the toilet while it was in use!

Yuck! Cat washing is hideous. My princess had to have her hind quarters washed at the vet's once. She tore holes in the two towels they had used wrap her and came out swinging. She swore terrible oaths of vengeance upon the vet. Six years later and she is still trying to kill him. His tech left a message on my answering machine last year and Cobalt attacked the phone. The transformation of my sweet, dainty little (OK, not so little) kitten, into a 20 clawed ninja is truly amazing.

Mafalda? As in the Argentinean comic strip or Hopkirk of the Improper Use of Magic Office?
                  Last edited by OLChemist; 08-17-2011, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                    Yuck! Cat washing is hideous. My princess had to have her hind quarters washed at the vet's once. She tore holes in the two towels they had used wrap her and came out swinging. She swore terrible oaths of vengeance upon the vet. Six years later and she is still trying to kill him. His tech left a message on my answering machine last year and Cobalt attacked the phone. The transformation of my sweet, dainty little (OK, not so little) kitten, into a 20 clawed ninja is truly amazing.
                    It's amazing what killing machines cats can turn into! lol

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                    Mafalda? As in the Argentinean comic strip or Hopkirk of the Improper Use of Magic Office?
                    Neither. Mafalda as in Princess Mafalda di Savoia, one of Victor Emmanuel's daughters. Martyred in Buchenwald. Despised by Hitler who referred to her as "the blackest carrion in the Italian Royal House."

Yeah, I know, I've been told I read too much history! lol I came across her story many years ago and always thought it was a pretty name.

Olga isn't named after anyone. I've just always liked the name since I was a little kid. My parents never let me name any of our pets Olga - so the first pet I got that looked like an "Olga" got that name!
                    sigpic

Comment

• my Cairo!
                      Attached Files
                      Bahnisiain

Comment

• Cairo's nice looking! Great eyes!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Olga
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

• Mafalda
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

• Oh, what pretty puddin's!

Cario does have those burning gold, you will obey me eyes. "You're getting very sleepy. We need $200 worth of cat toys."

Mafalda and Olga look like sweeties. Bucky is very envious of the cat tree. He hasn't figured out how to sit in both ours at the same time yet. But that doesn't stop him from coveting another one.

Comment

• Thanks, OlChemist! Olga & Mafalda are littermates. Olga being the alpha female, and Mafalda being the runt of the litter. Both spoiled absolutely rotten. They have more toys than most children!

At one time I had one of those cloth with a metal frame cat-condos that hang over a door. They didn't like it so I gave it away. But it was so funny when I was introducing them to it. I would pick up Mafalda and put her through one of the holes on the side (Olga was too big to do that with.). It would make Olga so jealous that she would crawl in, climb to the top level, somehow fit herself on one of the cloth "platforms" inside, and then pretend to purr!!! She'd fake purr so loudly you could hear it in the next room. But those were the only times she'd get in it, when she saw me put her sister in! Never had a cat before who would pretend to purr. lol

The condo was kind of like this, except it had leopard spots.

sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.