No announcement yet.

Pet Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So that still doesn't tell me what you do. I would guess a vet, or maybe some sort of animal control.
    I understand animals "sensing" you. I've only met a couple in my life that scared me and that wasn't the animal's fault-it was the way they were raised. I used to freak my Grandfather out because I was the only other person besides him who could sit in his yard while the deer fed and not spook them. They would come up within a couple of feet of where I was sitting and just graze away. He said it was because I could make my mind quiet and they would pick up on the calm.
    Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Mouse-a-roni and cheese:

Between grad school and my post doc, I stayed with a friend and her sister. She had several cats. Now, she has never gone out and selected a cat, they have all just come to her. While I was living there a solid black polydactyl female, with two cats worth of tail and a pink rhinestone studded collar (and we would learn a newly conceived, six kitten litter in utero), moved in.

We were never quite sure when she arrived. One night while we were watching TV she came slinking out from under the bed in my room and literally slithered along the baseboards to the cat food dishes. When we (and the other cats) didn't run her off while she ate her fill, she decided she was welcome. And announced this by promptly trying out every lap in the room.

Over the next few weeks, we learned the next door neighbors had found her wandering an apartment complex up in Albq. And when she whined endlessly because she was in heat they got frustrated and tossed her over the fence into our yard, for "the weird cat ladies to take care of." She gave every indication of being someone's pampered princess. And we could never get the neighbors to tell us which apartments so we could try to find her owner.

Willow, as she was ultimately named, was a kind of odd cat. She won't go outside -- at all. If she even got too near an open window or the cat door she acted frightened. She clearly had never been outside before the day of her kidnapping. But she was now living with a three cat cadre of feline hunters, who just loved to bring their wounded prey home to show off. And she was just fascinated by their "kills". She finally got brave enough to sit under cover of chair on the porch and watch the on-going decimation of the local vermin. One day it finally got to be too much for Willow, she charged off the porch and into neighbor's chile field. An hour later, during dinner, she came running back into the house with a squirming mouse in her mouth.

Now in my friend's house, getting living birds, snakes, lizards and rodents out of the mouths of cat and out of the house is a regular ballet. Upon seeing Willow and mouse, the cry of "we have a wiggler" went up. Everyone abandoned dinner. My friend's sister sprinted down the hall closing doors, to limit the range of places where Willow could have released her prey. My friend tried to persuade Willow to go outside. And I, as a newcomer to the cat kill dance, was supposed to stay out of the way. So, I just sat quietly in front of my plate of macaroni and cheese.

As far as Willow was concerned the fuss made the whole thing more exciting and she dropped the mouse to let out a yowl of triumph. Now the mouse, who had just spent some unknown period of time staring at cat tonsils, decided God had given it a second chance and it was getting out there. It ran. Amy grabbed a trash can and tried to scoop up the fleeing rodent. The other three cats materialized and moved in. But, Willow was not having any of this escaping and no one was taking her mouse. She gave it a mighty swat.

Up it went, ricochetting off the ceiling. Straight into my plate. In the three seconds of silence that followed the flight, you could literally see the cats thinking "Mouse-a-roni and Cheese. Yum!" Then Willow leapt onto the table across from me. Her next bound took her into the middle of my plate, where she snatched up the cheese sauce covered mouse. Her final leap took her over my shoulder and into the middle of the living room. While I sat there with pasta raining down on me, she took off down the hall toward the cat door, turning the corner so quickly she left two cheesy footprints eight inches up the wall.

Once outside, she retreated to roof. But her mouse, having rather rudely broken its neck during these escapades, is not quite as much fun. But she did not surrender her first kill. She carefully licked off the cheese sauce and stashed the corpse under the braces for the swamp cooler. Then she sat on the roof and meowed her victory to half the neighborhood.

Being New Mexico the mouse ultimately mummified. And everyday until fall, she made a visit to roof and pulled out her mouse jerky. We finally buried the thing when we winterized the swamp cooler.
      Last edited by OLChemist; 05-17-2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• What a hysterical story!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sitting here at work just laughing until I almost have tears running down my eyes.

We had a cat do something similar-only it's not as funny. My parents had been at the neighbors playing cards. they got home, dad headed to the back to get his jammies on, mom to the other door to let Pounce in. I was in the kitchen. All of a sudden, my mom is screaming hysterically. I couldn't understand what she was saying and here comes dad down the hall with his .357 thinking somebody had broken in. I was standing there staring at my mom and she is pointing at the bookcase going "rat, rat, rat". All I see is the rear of the cat-the rest of him was under the bookcase. (This was a good size cat who once won a Garfield lookalike contest.) Dad put the gun down and got the broom. I got the cat out of the way and dad swept this poor, terrified little rabbit out from under the book case. He put it out in the back yard and then he and I both collapsed in hysterics for about 20 minutes. Still not as funny as your mouse, though. I love that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post
          So that still doesn't tell me what you do. I would guess a vet, or maybe some sort of animal control.
          I understand animals "sensing" you. I've only met a couple in my life that scared me and that wasn't the animal's fault-it was the way they were raised. I used to freak my Grandfather out because I was the only other person besides him who could sit in his yard while the deer fed and not spook them. They would come up within a couple of feet of where I was sitting and just graze away. He said it was because I could make my mind quiet and they would pick up on the calm.
          I work for Verizon. Go to a lot of people's homes.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
            Mouse-a-roni and cheese:

Between grad school and my post doc, I stayed with a friend and her sister. She had several cats. Now, she has never gone out and selected a cat, they have all just come to her. While I was living there a solid black polydactyl female, with two cats worth of tail and a pink rhinestone studded collar (and we would learn a newly conceived, six kitten litter in utero), moved in.

We were never quite sure when she arrived. One night while we were watching TV she came slinking out from under the bed in my room and literally slithered along the baseboards to the cat food dishes. When we (and the other cats) didn't run her off while she ate her fill, she decided she was welcome. And announced this by promptly trying out every lap in the room.

Over the next few weeks, we learned the next door neighbors had found her wandering an apartment complex up in Albq. And when she whined endlessly because she was in heat they got frustrated and tossed her over the fence into our yard, for "the weird cat ladies to take care of." She gave every indication of being someone's pampered princess. And we could never get the neighbors to tell us which apartments so we could try to find her owner.

Willow, as she was ultimately named, was a kind of odd cat. She won't go outside -- at all. If she even got too near an open window or the cat door she acted frightened. She clearly had never been outside before the day of her kidnapping. But she was now living with a three cat cadre of feline hunters, who just loved to bring their wounded pray home to show off. And she was just fascinated by their "kills". She finally got brave enough to sit under cover of chair on the porch and watch the on-going decimation of the local vermin. One day it finally got to be too much for Willow, she charged off the porch and into neighbor's chile field. An hour later, during dinner, she came running back into the house with a squirming mouse in her mouth.

Now in my friend's house, getting living birds, snakes, lizards and rodents out of the mouths of cat and out of the house is a regular ballet. Upon seeing Willow and mouse, the cry of "we have a wiggler" went up. Everyone abandoned dinner. My friend's sister sprinted down the hall closing doors, to limit the range of places where Willow could have released her prey. My friend tried to persuade Willow to go outside. And I, as a newcomer to the cat kill dance, was supposed to stay out of the way. So, I just sat quietly in front of my plate of macaroni and cheese.

As far as Willow was concerned the fuss made the whole thing more exciting and she dropped the mouse to let out a yowl of triumph. Now the mouse, who had just spent some unknown period of time staring at cat tonsils, decided God had given it a second chance and it was getting out there. It ran. Amy grabbed a trash can and tried to scoop up the fleeing rodent. The other three cats materialized and moved in. But, Willow was not having any of this escaping and no one was taking her mouse. She gave it a mighty swat.

Up it went, ricochetting off the ceiling. Straight into my plate. In the three seconds of silence that followed the flight, you could literally see the cats thinking "Mouse-a-roni and Cheese. Yum!" Then Willow leapt onto the table across from me. Her next bound took her into the middle of my plate, where she snatched up the cheese sauce covered mouse. Her final leap took her over my shoulder and into the middle of the living room. While I sat there with pasta raining down on me, she took off down the hall toward the cat door, turning the corner so quickly she left two cheesy footprints eight inches up the wall.

Once outside, she retreated to roof. But her mouse, having rather rudely broken neck during these escapades, is not quite as much fun. But she did not surrender her first kill. She carefully licked off the cheese sauce and stashed the corpse under the braces for the swamp cooler. Then she sat on the roof and meowed her victory to half the neighborhood.

Being New Mexico the mouse ultimately mummified. And everyday until fall, she made a visit to roof and pulled out her mouse jerky. We finally buried the thing when we winterized the swamp cooler.
            Too funny!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

• now OLCHEMIST..you should put this into storybook form..it is too wonderfully hysterical! and should be shared with the world!!
              Last edited by APACHEFIRE; 11-05-2011, 01:38 AM. Reason: had to fix OLCHEMIST name.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
              "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
              "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
              "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
              "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

• SUBEEDS…you too woman!
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• dont forget to keep checking your pets water dish during the freeze.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• Originally posted by APACHEFIRE View Post
                    dont forget to keep checking your pets water dish during the freeze.
                    A few years ago, we had an incredible cold snap for down here. It didn't get over 35 for several days. We always have water out for the cats/cat outside and we kept breaking the ice off of it. The cat got there earlier than I did one morning and had his tongue stuck to the dish. I felt bad for him, but it was funny.

Comment

• VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE…from SUBEEDS

Originally posted by subeeds View Post
                      A few years ago, we had an incredible cold snap for down here. It didn't get over 35 for several days. We always have water out for the cats/cat outside and we kept breaking the ice off of it. The cat got there earlier than I did one morning and had his tongue stuck to the dish. I felt bad for him, but it was funny.
                      i am sooo bad. i laughed too.
                      mainly because i have SUCH a vivid imagination and can see it all so clearly!

see everyone, another very important reason to keep checking those water dishes during a freeze!
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• IF I HAD THE MOOLA id get this little girl. ROO, a chihuahua mix,
                        or this one..who is much younger http://www.sbret.com/images/dobby-chipup-01.jpg
                        Last edited by APACHEFIRE; 11-08-2011, 02:12 AM.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• Thanksgiving SAFETY

Tip of the Month

Thanksgiving Safety

*Don't give in to our begging eyes! Feeding us turkey and trimmings can cause abdominal pain, vomiting or diarrhea, none of which are welcome during this festive weekend.

*Dispose of aluminum foil, plastic wrap, and wax paper from holiday foods. Swallowing these types of materials can lead to intestinal obstructions or other serious problems.

*Cooked bones are dangerous! They become brittle and may easily splinter in our throats.

*Chocolate, which contains theobromine and caffeine, can be deadly! Keep it out of our reach. The same goes for onions, raisins and grapes.

*Post-Thanksgiving trash smells awfully good to us. Keep bags tightly secured and out of our reach.

*With all those guests coming in and out, make sure to keep us secured safely in the house or yard so we don't go darting out the door.

*We know you're busy but please don't forget about us! We still need our reguarly scheduled exercise and cuddles... and please don't forget to inform guests of our routines as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• And so it begins... the eight or nine months of winter and trying to convince her ladyship that it's ok to walk on the white stuff... I swear she can tippy toe across the yard so that she only gets one toe on each foot wet. This is going to be a long winter...sigh
                            A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by yaahl View Post
                              And so it begins... the eight or nine months of winter and trying to convince her ladyship that it's ok to walk on the white stuff... I swear she can tippy toe across the yard so that she only gets one toe on each foot wet. This is going to be a long winter...sigh
                              aww YAAHL, try taking off your shoes n walk across da snow. it kinda helps me to understand why pets hate to walk on it. especially if ya dont look between their toes and remove the ice that builds up there. AND since i cant have a dog right now…the dogs below are all mine! mine! mine! **laughin**
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• Pet adoptions

In the interest of finding FOREVER HOMES for some of our furry buddies, i am posting this site that was given to me by JD . I hope one of our members, or someone just visiting this site, might find the "PET BUDDY" they have been searching for. http://www.concernedpeopleforanimals.org/

i hope you all take a peek and see who is searching for a FOREVER HOME.
                                Last edited by APACHEFIRE; 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM. Reason: uh, forgot to add the web…**Laughin**
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.