Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post
    This just cracked me up when I saw it.
    That's hilarious!!! Mine will give me that same look if I bother them when they're not in the mood! lol
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post
      A Hemingway cat. Key West is full of 6 toed cats, with most believed to be descendants of Ernie's cats. Even if they aren't 6 toed, I read that most of them carry the gene for it.
      We went down to Key West and visited Hemingway's house when I was a kid. At that time I was way more interested in the cats than the house!
      sigpic

Comment

• looks like justice is going to be coming back to stay with us for a bit longer.we got a message saying that the house his family was moving into turns out to have several gas leaks and a landlord who doesnt feel like getting them fixed just now.....
        so we'll have him back for a few more weeks.

The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets

Comment

• wild rose - meow song

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rz3qMIMHPrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

for you cat lovers from g&b with love hehehe

Comment

• Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
            looks like justice is going to be coming back to stay with us for a bit longer.we got a message saying that the house his family was moving into turns out to have several gas leaks and a landlord who doesnt feel like getting them fixed just now.....
            poor JUSTICE.....having to shuttle this way and that....just when there was a “forever home on the horizon”. (wont say what i think of the landlord...m#$zF&.#%!)
            Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
            <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rz3qMIMHPrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

how the heck did you know about THAT one?
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
            "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
            "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
            "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
            "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

• Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
              looks like justice is going to be coming back to stay with us for a bit longer.we got a message saying that the house his family was moving into turns out to have several gas leaks and a landlord who doesnt feel like getting them fixed just now.....
              poor JUSTICE.....having to shuttle this way and that....just when there was a “forever home on the horizon”. (wont say what i think of the landlord...m#$zF&.#%!)
              Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• Originally posted by APACHEFIRE View Post

i keep my ear to the streets like roadkill

what, you didnt like it?

Comment

• I liked it. I'm just wonderin' why there's a powwow meow meow song?
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
                    I liked it. I'm just wonderin' why there's a powwow meow meow song?
                    i think that meow meow meow lead is the dopest lead ever

Comment

• Listened to it again. I'm afraid it's gonna get stuck in my head.

I can just see/hear me on the way home from work: Meow, meow, meow!.....

sigpic

Comment

• i was cracking up how cat daddy was messing up the other singers with his meowing

Comment

• DOG BEHAVIOR
                          Common Dog Behaviors Explained

Communication begins with understanding. If you want to build a better relationship with your dog, you can start by working to understand the meaning and causes behind some of her most common dog behaviors.

Here is a list of some common dog behaviors:

Panting

Because dogs sweat through the pads on their feet, most of their body heat is expelled through their mouth when they pant. It's their primary means of regulating body temperature.

Dog barking

In nature, dogs bark to raise an alarm at the first signs of possible danger or to herald a new arrival. Barking is an important means of canine communication.

Dog chewing

Just as a growing child, your dog will want to chew on toys and other objects to relieve the pain of a new set of teeth coming in. If your dog is full grown, you may also come home to find your couch cushions or favorite pair of shoes ripped to shreds, but it is not because they enjoy the taste. Your dog could be exhibiting signs of separation anxiety or anxiety in general.

Digging

Digging is an instinctual activity, written deep in a dog's DNA. It is especially strong in terrier breeds. Dogs in natural packs will dig to hide food or to uncover food such as small rodents. A den dug in the cool earth can also provide shelter from the heat.

Jumping up

Though it may seem like play behavior, or an enthusiastic greeting, jumping up is a sign that your dog is attempting to assert her dominance over you. By encouraging jumping up with affection, you are reinforcing the behavior.

Dog biting

A dog will bite a person as a way of communicating their current state of mind. The dog could be reacting in aggression, fear or nervousness. There are, however, ways to prevent a dog bite from ever happening if you stay in tune to the dog’s body language.

Separation anxiety

Dogs live and travel in packs, so it's natural for them to feel anxious when they are separated from their pack-mates. Try taking your dog on a nice, long walk before leaving her alone in the house. Leaving her in resting mode can calm her anxiety.

Once you understand these behaviors, you'll be better equipped to recognize when your pack's needs are not being met! When your dog's needs go unfulfilled, unwanted behaviors begin to emerge. Consider: Are you giving exercise, discipline, then Affection?
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• TRAINING
                            Are You Being Your Best Self?

by Martin Deeley

Like children, your dog is often watching you and learning from your actions and reactions. training is not just a formal five, 10 or 15 minutes of your day. It is all the time – your dog learns from everything you do. You shout at your spouse or the kids and guess what? He picks up on that energy and may think it is directed at him. You feel irritable and under the weather? He knows it. If you make a mistake with your dog, he will remember the body language and repercussions. Of course, the opposite is true too.

It is important when we are with a dog to realize that they are always learning. They are watching our movements, listening to our sounds and, I am certain, ''scenting'' our emotions. Sometimes we may even take our feelings out on our dog. He did not create the feeling but we have to vent somehow and he happened to make a small mistake. Therefore when you are feeling a little under the weather or are getting a little frustrated – put your dog somewhere he cannot get into trouble and will not be the recipient of your mood. Or, if he is the one that can calm you, sit nicely with him, breathe deeply, and let each of you find calmness together.

Many times I have gone outside and into my paddock area just to sit with my dog and let the world settle around me. Just having my hand on his shoulder, feeling his energy, can create a feeling of contentment, helping me to forget some of the pressures of the world.

When showing your dog what is required, or when initiating a training session, give yourself time. Be patient, stay calm and be clear in your instructions and guidance. One loss of temper can create a lifetime of a bad behavior. So if you feel the temperature rising – and it does with all of us on occasions – count to 20 and only when you can be calm and assertive, are you ready to start again. Even if you have to simply sit there with your dog during this time, do it. It is not only you that will be settling but also your dog. The stress level will drop in both of you and then you can move forward together with clear minds.

Your dog will be uncertain, confused and even resistant at times to what you want to show him. Because of this you need to be confident, positive and clear in showing him. And persistent too. If you are not confident he will realize this and become unsure – you need to show him that you have things under control. Think through what you want to do, how you are going to achieve it, and what level of competency you will accept at this stage. You may be quite happy initially that he simply waits and stands at the door a second before being invited out, and then move on to sitting and staying for longer periods in the future.

A dog cannot be confident unless you as a trainer are confident. Be positive in all you do, be clear, and create understanding. Carry yourself with confidence so the dog believes in you and wants to follow your guidance. Leaders lead, followers follow. Be a good clear leader. Practice some of the moves without your dog. Think of it as teaching dancing where you have to know what the steps are and show someone else by leading them. This is what your dog is looking for. And, he will perform much better if you make the right confident steps. Consistency comes from your practicing to make them routine – so why not practice some of them without him. Then they come naturally and you don’t have to think about what you are doing – only what he is.

It is always a big temptation to go one step too far and that can result in three steps backwards. Stop on a success stage with each session. Set targets but always be aware that you may not be able to achieve it that day. Train step by step with approximations to achieve behaviors, leading to the final result you desire. A university degree was not achieved with one lesson.

One thing to keep in mind with your best friend is that even dogs have off days, like we do. Don’t make excuses for him but if he has been out for a long run, or has been playing with the kids or other dogs, tiredness may be having an effect and he may be less focused. Sometimes, however, tiredness can work to your advantage! In addition, an upset stomach, muscle strain, or even a local female in season (if ''he'' is a ''he'') can take his mind in other directions. These and other influences can create ''off days.'' If that happens, put him in a position to do the least potential wrong – just spend time with him on a leash or give him more time in his crate. Not only do we need to train when we are being our best selves, we need to read our dog and ensure he is being his best self too.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• TRAINING
                              Punishment or Discipline? by Cheri Lucas

For most of us, an average day begins with a series of rituals. We dress appropriately for our job. We show up at work promptly at the same time every day. We stop at traffic lights on the way to work. Does abiding by these rules and boundaries feel like punishment to us? Of course not. We are simply practicing the discipline expected of all of us who choose to live in a functional society….a society without chaos.

In their natural world, dogs or wolves live in a highly disciplined and structured society. The packs’ very survival depends on maintaining order, and order doesn’t happen without discipline. But often we feel that implementing discipline is a form of punishment to a dog. Nothing could be further from the truth!

The reality is that dogs thrive on rules, boundaries, and other forms of discipline. Without discipline, a dog feels lost and confused about his role in the pack. Keep in mind that your dog doesn’t care what position he has in the pack, as long as the pack runs smoothly. Regardless of how smart you may feel your dog is, he or she is not equipped to manage a human household!

Our own human society is critical of parents who don’t guide their children properly. It’s no different in the canine world. If we truly love our dogs, then we want to fulfill them in every way. Just as we can’t survive on love alone, neither can our dogs. It’s actually a disservice to withhold discipline from our dogs!

Make sure you offer your dog the complete package when you bring him into your world. Along with exercise, food, shelter, and affection, offer him a healthy dose of rules, boundaries, and discipline. Don’t think of discipline as punishment, but just one more gift you give your best friend to keep him happy and balanced.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• Sparky has gotten a couple of little smacks on his butt and now, all I have to say is "mama's going to get that butt"and he will stop whatever he is doing, tuck his stubby little tail under his hind legs and wander off. LOL!
                                Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.