Pet Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post
    Sparky has gotten a couple of little smacks on his butt and now, all I have to say is "mama's going to get that butt"and he will stop whatever he is doing, tuck his stubby little tail under his hind legs and wander off. LOL!
    wow, i wonder what he was doing to get those smacks....most likely chewing something he wasnt supposed to?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
    "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
    "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
    "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
    "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

• Dog care

Is it Okay to Give a Dog as a Gift?

By Joe Wilkes

This holiday season, many of us stumped for a gift for a loved one will be tempted by the adorable faces peering out at us from behind the display glass of the local pet store. Who doesn't love puppies and kittens? This could be the gift that cements a budding relationship with a boyfriend or girlfriend. It could be the gift that makes your child realize you are the best dad or mom a kid could have. It could be the gift of companionship that brings a lonely or elderly relative back into the world. Or not. Here are some do's and don'ts to consider when considering a new pet over the holidays.

DON'T Buy Puppies from Pet Stores that Buy from puppy Mills
      In Los Angeles this year, the ASPCA is putting up 40 billboards for the holidays. They urge holiday gift givers to boycott pet stores and Web sites that sell puppies. Why are these Scrooges and Grinches denying us from gifting a scruffy ball of fun? Because the animals at these pet stores usually come from puppy mills. Puppy mills where mothers are forced to have more litters than nature intended. Where puppies are given inadequate nutrition and medical care. Where the goal of these mills is to deliver as many pups to pet stores as possible, ignoring the genetic and medical issues that the new caregiver will be unable to ignore.

DON'T Buy Anything Else from Pet Stores that Buy from Puppy Mills
      If you're picking up a bag of dog food or a chew toy from your local pet store and see cages filled with squirming puppies and kitties lining the walls, think twice. I think most of us would agree, it wouldn't be enough to just buy from the aisle of the store that didn't use child or slave labor. We probably would refuse to buy from the whole store. Any purchase you make from a store that supports puppy mills, supports puppy mills with their overall profits. So try and drive the extra mile or surf to another site to make sure you're not inadvertently supporting an immoral operation such as puppy mills.

DO Adopt Your Puppy from a Shelter or rescue Operation
      If you're looking for a reputable pet supply store to buy your kibble and bits, look for the ones that host adoptions from local shelters as opposed to the ones who keep the animals on hand. Of course, any pet owner knows, the pet itself is just the gateway to a lifetime of buying food, treats, beds, leashes, collars, etc. So any honest pet store will know that there's plenty of living to earn without resorting to selling mill puppies. They will be happy to host matchmaker events for you and your new four-legged companions with hopes of your continued business.

There are also the shelters themselves. Your local chapter of the American Humane Society and American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty for Animals (ASPCA) will be happy to hook you up with places where you can adopt a healthy pet without supporting the cruel practices of the mills.

DON'T Give Pets as Presents Over the Holidays
      There are any number of reasons why this is a bad idea. It's a romantic notion of the recipient waking up Christmas morning to a furry ball of love, but there are two main reasons this is a bad idea, regardless of where you got the pet:

Is the recipient ready for a pet?
      Does your significant other work 16 hours a day? Do they live in a studio apartment with no yard? Is your child old enough to appreciate the responsibility of caring for a pet? Is the recipient allergic to pet hair? Questions like these are all good to consider and just the tip of the iceberg of what could go wrong with surprising someone with a pet. Pets can be a blessing in our lives, but also come with the burden of care. And that burden is often too much for the recipient to handle. It's easy to imagine the joy of having a puppy in the house on Day 1, but Day 2 through infinity become a little more problematic. A responsibility as great as a pet is better for planning, not surprising.

Is this a good time to introduce a pet into a home?
      Think about the first time you brought your girlfriend or boyfriend home for the holidays. Introducing them to your family in the midst of the holiday chaos probably didn't make for the most stress-free time. Now imagine they're another species…and they're going to live there forever. When everybody is out of their mind with holiday cheer is probably not the best time to introduce a new canine member of the family. Dogs don't get that this is an annual aberration to what their life will be. They will be confused by the multitude of people, the lights, the sounds, and the indoor tree. In calmer times, your recipient will be more appreciative of adopting a new friend, instead of being presented with a freaked-out mess of a dog in the middle of the winter social scene…and the dog will appreciate it too.

DO Plan Ahead for a Pet adoption and Involve the Recipient
      OK, the holidays are coming, you're out of ideas and you're about to get in the car and head down to the local puppy mill retailer and buy a bag full of birth defects for your loved one. Your heart's in the right place, but your head has moved to some other part of your anatomy. How about this instead?

Buy a stuffed dog, a dog toy, or a book on dog care and then when they open their present, you can say, "I wanted to get you a dog, but I wanted you to pick it out. I found some local shelters and rescue organizations and we can go together tomorrow and find the right match for you." You get full credit for the romantic idea. You won't make your loved one figure out how to housebreak a puppy while hosting Christmas dinner. And if a pet was a bad idea, you won't be taking it to the shelter the next day.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• EVERYONE is welcome to post pictures and/or stories about their pets. So dont just peek, please join us in posting something about you, and your pet!
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• Originally posted by APACHEFIRE View Post
          wow, i wonder what he was doing to get those smacks....most likely chewing something he wasnt supposed to?
          Digging in the carpet trying to nest. Sometimes he will stop with just a "no", but when he doesn't....LOL! He's never been a chewy kind of dog.
          Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post
            Digging in the carpet trying to nest. Sometimes he will stop with just a "no", but when he doesn't....LOL! He's never been a chewy kind of dog.
            uh, lucky you? **LOL**
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• Cat Health Advice

Your cat’s health is the most important thing in its life. Without good health your cat will likely face illness, diseases, or even death. Therefore, staying on top of your cat’s health is a top priority. Cat health is interconnected with all categories of Free Cat Advice: behavior, feeding, and veterinary care.

Caring for your cat is the primary responsibility for a cat owner. The health of your cat is not only medical- related, but also emotionally tied. We have a few recommendations that will keep you and your cat on track for a healthy lifestyle.

Be aware about your cats actions and reactions. Sudden changes in both or either may need the attention of your veterinarian. Staying on top of vet visits and following their prognosis is vital. Be sure to give your cat vet-prescribed medication if told by your veterinarian. You may find pet medication at a discount, as many prescribed medications can prove expensive.

Create a schedule and routine. Creatures of habit, cats respond well to schedules. Whether it be their feedings, groomings, etc. your cat will show joy with adherence to a routine.

As stated above, a cat’s health does not only rely on medical treatment; your cat’s emotions play an important factor. The best advice we can give cat owners is PLAY WITH YOUR CAT! Setting aside time in your day to play and comfort your cat can ensure a happy kitty.

The above recommendations are high-level and broad health advice for your cats. We encourage you to check out our detailed and focused health advice articles for your cats health.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• Category——health

How to stop cats from urinating in the house
                by cat

According to animal shelters, one of the largest reasons people give up their cats is because they cannot stop their cat from urinating in the house and outside the litter box. It is with that upsetting fact that we have decided to provide a handful of reasons why your cat is urinating in the house where he/she should not, in hopes we can prevent more cats from being giving up to shelters.

DECLAWING
                If your cat has been declawed, there is a chance it may experience severe pain in the paws nerve endings caused by certain materials found in the litter. Therefore, it is important you purchase gentle litter for your cat. Regular litter will cause the cat to associate the litter box with pain and not use it, possibly the cause of your cat urinating in the house.

CHANGE IN LOCATION OF LITTER BOX
                If either you have physically moved homes or even just moved the litter box elsewhere in your home, a change in the location of the litter box may cause your cat to pee outside it. As we’ve often stated, cats are creatures of habit. Breaking their routines may cause them to urinate outside the litter box. Any type of moving or change can bring out insecurities cats possess.

ADDITION TO THE FAMILY
                Cats require attention. If you have recently brought another animal into the household or even a baby, cats may get jealous. If it is another cat, you should have one litter box per cat. Either animal or baby, give your cat, who is having trouble peeing outside the litter box, great attention to convey they are still very loved.

SERIOUS MEDICAL PROBLEM
                We hope that you can stop your cat from urinating in the house with one of the above tips, and that the reason is one of the above scenarios. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

A serious reason you cannot stop cats from peeing outside the litter box is a urinary tract dysfunction, known as Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD). The disease causes painful urination which the cat may associate with the litter box. So if none of the above scenarios exist in your household we recommend you make an appointment with your veterinarian.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• HELLO EVERYONE! thank you for visiting PET CHATTER. I hope those of you who either have pets, are thinking about getting a pet, or just love animals, join this group. Everyone is welcome to post their pets pictures, tell a little story or maybe just a few words introducing yourself.

Did anyone get a pet for Christmas? or are you planning on giving yourself one? Past pet news is also welcomed!

from time to time i will post PET TIPS. but i really opened this thread so people who have pets can come in and just CHAT about them! please feel free to brag! **laughin**
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• Time for some cute holiday cat pictures.

I gave a friend of mine a gift basket of Gevalia coffee. We were wondering if the cats would be interested in the basket. Within 5 minutes of our putting the basket on the floor Olga came to explore and claim it as her own. It's too small for her, but that didn't stop her from nesting in it. It really shows off her back fat!
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

• **laughin** big time!! well, it keeps her toes warm....**laughin** thanks for posting those great shots! good start to my day. *wink* & large *grin*
                      ps she musta been a chicken in her other life...
                      Last edited by APACHEFIRE; 12-28-2011, 07:07 AM. Reason: had to add the ps
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• BIG ONLINE PARTY IN THE CHIT CHAT THREAD TONITE!....Just in case i dont catch you later, im wishing you a...
                        **Laughin**
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• DOG BEHAVIOR
                          Hero Lab Rescues Kittens Left for Dead

Reagan, a yellow Labrador retriever, is be being hailed as a hero after saving the lives of two kittens who had been cruelly left for dead at the side of an Iowa highway.

The dog found the kittens stuffed in a bag of Meow Mix along with several other kittens, who didn’t survive the ordeal. The bag had been sealed shut, dumped on the country highway, and been struck by passing cars. Reagan brought the bag back to his owner and wouldn’t leave the bag until his owner opened it.

The two kittens, named Tipper and Skipper, were nursed back to health and now at three months old, are available to be adopted by a family who will give them much-needed love and attention.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• LAKOTA ANIMAL CARE PROJECT please read

Lakota Animal Care Project

Life on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota is a harsh existence for both the packs of dogs that roam the two million acre area and the humans that cohabitate with them. The freezing winters and widespread disease has made the situation even more devastating for these canines, with many unnecessarily dying due to the severe conditions.

So when wildlife ecologist Virginia Ravndal became aware of the situation, she decided to take some much-needed action and begin the Lakota Animal Care Project .

The Lakota Animal care Project aims to train local tribal members to administer treatments, vaccines and other medical care to the local animal owners and strays. Those interested in becoming Lakota Caregivers are required to go through an extensive training program and take an oath in front of a tribal elder. Once certified, the caregivers work with the community to help care for the basic needs of the animals and find homes for the dogs in the area.

“When there were serious health issues, people had no option but to let their animals suffer and die,” said Virginia Ravndal, the founder of the Lakota Project. “Now, people call Lakota Animal Care and request treatment for their animals. There is now trust, peace and hope for all animals and people who care for them where there was none before.”

Unfortunately, there is no full-time veterinarian on the reservation. Therefore, The Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association’s Field Services Team and The Native American Veterinary Services (NAVS) has joined with the Lakota Project to conduct more invasive medical procedures.

“Although a full-time vet, based on the reservation, may not be realistic at this particular time, we would like to encourage veterinarians who wish to volunteer some time (anywhere from a few days to a few months) to contact us and we can organize and facilitate their stay and work,” said Ravndal.

In addition to medical care, the Lakota Project has also become involved in the community by working with local schools in various education programs. They have established a “Reading to Animals” program for the local schoolchildren and the Sunka Scouts program (“sunka” means “dog” in the Lakota language), which encourages children to earn badges based on animal care practices.

In its first year, the The Lakota Animal Care Project has treated about 600 dogs, and has also teamed up with many other local animal services, such as The Tribal Animal Control Division of the Community Health Representatives (CHR) and The Rural Area Veterinary Services (RAVS), to provide additional care and spay/neuter programs for the community. With such an overwhelming success, the Lakota Animal Care Project plans to expand their basic animal health care program to more communities in the area and acquire additional transportation units. The program has also inspired several other tribes to implement animal care systems, so the Lakota Care Project has invited various tribal communities to the Pine Ridge Reservation this summer for an educational seminar.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• A short documentary about dogs on the Navajo reservation.

(No, not THAT kind of "snag" )

<script class="48599c60-a741-11e0-89c3-0026bb61d036" src="http://embed.snagfilms.com/embed/embed.js?filmId=48599c60-a741-11e0-89c3-0026bb61d036&width=500"></script>
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
                                A short documentary about dogs on the Navajo reservation.

(No, not THAT kind of "snag" )

<script class="48599c60-a741-11e0-89c3-0026bb61d036" src="http://embed.snagfilms.com/embed/embed.js?filmId=48599c60-a741-11e0-89c3-0026bb61d036&width=500"></script>
                                Thank You RDNKJ. i hope everyone watches this one.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.