Pet Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, ApacheFire!

I love the snagfilms website. I think it is so cool that not only do they have so many free documentaries/short films, but they also link them to related charities so it is easier to contribute if people are inspired to do so.
    sigpic

Comment

• DOG BEHAVIOR by CESAR MILLAN

DOG BEHAVIOR
      Resolutions for Pack Leaders in 2012

Around this time of year when resolutions are being made, I’m often asked by people what they can do to improve how they interact with their dogs in 2012. Here are a few pieces of advice I would give to help become better pack leaders and have better relationships with their dogs.

1. Correct the bad, focus on the good

Often I hear from people about their anxiety over their dogs behaving badly. While often the dog does need to be corrected, people make matters worse by bringing their own anxiety into the situation and creating an atmosphere where the dog feels confused and upset. If you give an outsized response to an unwanted behavior, you invest that behavior with power and the dog may associate that behavior with attention. If you bring a calm energy to the room, the dog will sense it and respond favorably. You don’t have to make a big deal out of a dog’s misbehavior. Correct him calmly and continue with the activity like a walk and provide positive reinforcement when he’s behaving properly.

2. Walk it off

One of the most common New Year’s resolutions is to exercise more. This should apply to your dog, too. Aside from the physical problems that come with a sedentary lifestyle, dogs who don’t get enough exercise tend to exhibit behavior problems, sleep problems, barking problems, and more. I can’t tell you how many times people come to me with dog problems, that could be easily resolved by providing more activity for the dog. Dogs who have too much pent-up energy are more likely to act out by barking, chewing, ignoring housebreaking rules, and engaging in other negative behaviors. Not to mention, the obesity epidemic isn’t limited to humans. Veterinarians are reporting increasing rates of obesity-related problems like diabetes and heart disease in pets. If you want a calm, healthy, happy dog, go for a walk.

3. Shop around

If you want to expand your pack or start a new pack, consider all the options available in buying or adopting a dog. It’s easy to be tempted by the cute dogs in pet store windows, but many of them come from puppy mills, and buying a dog from a puppy mill supports a cruel system of animal abuse that results in unhealthy and unhappy dogs. Instead, think about adopting a dog or fostering a dog if you want to try out the experience. You might consider adopting an older dog. They often are already trained and housebroken and calmer than a new puppy. You should also look at other breeds, including mixed breeds, which you might not have considered. Pit bulls and other power breeds get such a bad reputation in the media, but when you actually meet them, you can see what wonderful pets they can be. I’m proud to have pit bulls and older rescues in my pack. So take your time and meet a few dogs before you choose. After all, you’re going to be together for a long time.

4. Use your energy wisely

What most of us don’t realize is that the most powerful tool we have is inside of us all the time. When we enter a room, we change the dynamic just with our body language and the energy we put out. If we’re angry, if we’re sad, if we’re happy, or simply at peace, we project that feeling and it impacts those around us. With dogs, we don’t have the luxury of using complicated language to express ourselves and dogs can’t ask us what’s going on. What we do have and what they can sense is our energy. They react with fear when we’re angry, excitement when we’re happy, and empathy when we’re sad. And they feel secure when they can sense that we’re calm and everything is all right. Knowing how to control what we put out in the world with our own behavior is key to being a great pack leader and can help us in every aspect of our lives.

Stay calm and assertive,
      Cesar
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
      "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
      "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
      "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
      "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

• This is too cute!

I can't afford an original Jackson Pollock. So, maybe I'll get an original Winkelhimer!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pjKVvSJ-c6o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
          This is too cute!

I can't afford an original Jackson Pollock. So, maybe I'll get an original Winkelhimer!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pjKVvSJ-c6o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
          i wonder if she dabs the end of the paint brush with p-nut butter? thanks for posting!
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• CALLING ALL PET LOVERS! whatcha doing?

...just wondering how all the ‘babies’ are doing with the winter weather?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**laughin**

Comment

• <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B8ISzf2pryI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bump

Comment

• for those who want to do something tangible to support troops on deployment there is something you can do with little effort and still make a HUGE impact. DoD dogs is looking for people to foster the pets of service personel while on deployment.
                as a former shelter works myself i cant tell you how many animals were given up because their owner was being deployed and there was no one to take the cat or dog. talk a look, give them a good think and if you have room in your home and life for another pet you can put in to be a foster home for a soldiers pet. homes are needed for cats and dogs,both.

https://www.facebook.com/DogsonDeployment

http://dogsondeployment.org/
                Last edited by FluteMaker; 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM.

The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.