Thanks everyone for your help Id be lost without ya'll lol

Leave a comment:

• Joe G
    replied
    So Brittany, fall asleep at the desk?

Leave a comment:

• APACHEFIRE
    replied
    ya'll need to move here in the south! *laughing* sorry, but i did have to ad that i have never met a more polite group of people than those here in the small towns of the south. coming from living in california and other states, i was really caught off guard by the majority here who are so polite it does take you back to the 'olden' days.

not that i or my family werent polite or have manners, but finding such a large group of 'strangers' who spoke to you as though you 'counted' as another human being, was not what i had gotten used to. it just doesnt seem to happen much in the city. and the larger the city, the more the sense of separatness. the less display of good manners and being polite, or caring.

when i worked downtown los angeles in the heart of the city, if you even tried to be polite, you were beaten back. many of those people do not recognize nor appreciate politeness because of fear.

there is a lot more to say, but i feel the bottom line is, it does take a community to raise a strong good moral child. to adulthood and beyond. but when that community becomes too large to know all of what is going on inside it, then the foundation begins to crumble. and those with darkness in them help to hack away at it all the more.

Leave a comment:

• Annie Fawn
    replied
    I go to a local resturant quite often, and one of the owner's daughters who also works there usually brings her kids to work with her. Her oldest child thinks nothing of grabbing womens purses and going through it. I've stopped her from messing with my cell phone. Her mother tells her to stop but she doesn't listen and it takes her grandmother calling her name to make her pay attention. If anyone tells the child to stop, her mom gets mad and says she can displine her own child and doesn't like others to do so. Now a days I put my purse under my feet with 1 foot on it so it doesn't end up being dumped onto the table or on the floor.

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    I'm with ya on that Native Sooner.. I'd rather my kid here how loud I can get and feel the good smack on the rump than have my kid growing up without manners and or getting in trouble.

I've noticed people like what was described in the first post alot and look like they should have manners and instead act as if they were overprivaliged. These are the folks that also don't believe in spanking or raising a voice to a child.

My kid was saying please and thank you conciously with meaning by time she was 2 years old. And she does have some manner problems like butting in or being impatient that have something to do with her disorder but even so, I will still correct her and remind her of her manners when she forgets them.

I had an odder experience and thank god I was still in control of my emotions at that time when it happened... But we went shopping for some video games since we got new systems at Xmas. I was trying to look at the DS games and was waiting patiently for these two young kids to finish looking and quit arguing about pooling their money for a certain game cause I knew their family was in a hurry and would be leaving. Well for 20 minutes I browsed best I could between these two darting in and out and around me without a word. Their mom finally shows up and says finish now cause we are leaving.

Right about that time my kid who during all this has been asking me the same question over and over and over for the last 20 minutes comes over and asks again.. are you ready to go yet? And I .. frustrated with her question not the other kids says, when I finally get a chance to look and find something I'll be ready.

Well the other mother takes it as a dig at her kids and turns with a hostile look and says... well saying excuse me would be the polite thing to do. And I looked right back at her and said.. I think 20 minutes of not saying a word but letting your children go first was quite polite of me thank you. I was so mad.

I would'nt say her kids were being rude, just not very observant that there were others wanting to look as well. Mom was rude, just assuming and going off, but was probably holding her own patience with her kids' taking so long in a crowded store.

But what I find the rudest of all is when you often tell someone they got it wrong and they see that they jumped to the wrong conclusions, instead of saying, "I'm sorry" or admitting they were wrong they have to somehow insist you are still at fault.. who taught them that being wrong and admitting it was a social blunder? Is that a parent thing or somethign we picked up in high school as we jockeyed for social positions and reputations?

Leave a comment:

• Native_Sooner
    replied
    My own opinion is very simple. If u want ur kid to grow up right and treat people right then bring them up that way. Theres too many parents in this world that want there kids too be good and wat not and when theyre out acting like a kid themselves. Im not saying completly selter ur kid because that will make want to go out and do something that they cant. Cause everyone should no that no matter how much u want to hide that bad things of the world u cant. Eventually, theyll be exposed to stuff that they havent before. But talk to them and let them kno wat can happen in the results of ur actions. That jus goes wit parenting in general. But as far as rudeness, younger children have a tendency of seeing and doing(monkey see monkey do). DISCIPLINE! People tend to freak about a good spankin. Theres a difference between discipline and abuse. Set the example and teach them right from wrong and alot of the time u wont have the problem of rudeness. All i kno is that if i seen my kid smartin off to me of anyone else when itz not called for BELT! LOL....

Leave a comment:

• CHEROSAGE
    replied
    I have a number of thoughts!!

Many people today especially young people,teenagers, are inconsiderate. I live in a small used to be farming community. Now our fair little town is becoming an industrial community. I have noticed that many people are always in a hurry, rushing around. With this haste they are willing to cut others off at the next turn. They walk right out in front of you, step infront at a check out, cut you off on the road etc.

These young people today wear their pants down below their buttox, who wants to see their underwear?

They have potty mouths, if I thought these things when I was their age I would be handed my teeth. Then my Dad would get intouch with my feelings.

Possible causes:
    Today there is very little discipline perhaps in fear of DFS(Division of Family Services). These young people are taught early in school that if Mommy or daddy were to spank( I think intent is HIT) them the youth was to call 911. Mommy and/or Daddy would go to the coutny jail for child abuse. This kind of mentality, such as Hillary Clinton's, is a fear from teaching discipline to our young.

Television is now a teacher of our young people. Our children probably sit in front of the Boob Tube, if available, the majority of their day. I have noticed that TV has created a very permissive ideology. More Homosexuality is OKed and given the nod of acceptability. Sexual promiscuity is the norm. The killings and beatings on the TV are more prominent, Ultimate Fighting or fight club themes. Shows/Movies now have more common cursing as an everyday vocabulary. These Rappers and Rockers along with many others are teaching our young to hate, curse, violence and rudeness. Drugs and alcohol are growing rampant causing actions not normal to ones teachings, inhibition.

We as Elders are no longer in the chain of discipline. If you were to say anything to a young person about their vocabulary, dress, actions etc. are often times greeted with hostility from Mommy or Daddy, how dare you talk to my child like that. I remember when it took a community to raise a child. Does anyone else remember when an Elder would take a young person aside and talk to them about the notty things that were observed and then told to Mom/Dad only to receive more discipline from them. I remember events such as Powwows when all Elders were Aunts/Uncles/Grandmas/ Grandpas, we listened to them if they told us to do or not to do something. This is not prevalent in todays society.

Permissiveness today is taught to our children in many ways and we are in a spiralling descent into a world of immoral treachery if not changed.

Sorry to take so long, just some observations. I have more but just need some more time later.

Leave a comment:

• Joe G
    replied
    Consider this: 40 years ago, newspapers woudn't even print the word hell, or damn, and music would never contain profanity in plain english. Most knew who there daddy was, and men who abandoned their families were looked down on. Rudeness isn't the problem, it's just a symptom.

Leave a comment:

• IrOqUoIs_FeMmE15
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthofAda View Post
    I can give you a recent, first-hand example.

About a week before Christmas I was grocery shopping with my littlest one, who was 21 months at the time. She was kind of baby-talking along and soon realized that her voice really echoed off the high celing of the store. She got a little bit louder, but not too loud, at least I didn't think.

Anyway, there was another little girl nearby, couldn't have been over 5. She turned to my little girl and said "Why don't you shut up?!" Needless to say, I was kind of taken aback. There was an elderly lady nearby and she looked at me a little bit shocked, too. I kind of muttered under my breath, sarcastically, "Nice kid." The mom of this little brat whipped around and said, "What did you say? 'Nice kid'?" She then went on to tell me how she was more attractive than me, how her kid was cuter than mine, and basically threatened to start a fistfight over the situation. I very calmly told her that I thought her daughter was rude, and it was quite obvious where she got her rudeness from. I suggested that she take her cart elsewhere as she was creating a scene. She muttered something else and managed to stay her distance from me the remainder of the time that I was shopping.

So...bottom line...daughter was rude, and mom was ruder. Kids learn by imitation, and they spend more time at home than anywhere else. Parents, step-parents, grandparents, parent's significant other, etc., etc., whatever the household structure, the little ones will imitate the behavior they see. If adult caregivers are rude, how can you expect the kids to turn out any better?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• NorthofAda
    replied
    I can give you a recent, first-hand example.

About a week before Christmas I was grocery shopping with my littlest one, who was 21 months at the time. She was kind of baby-talking along and soon realized that her voice really echoed off the high celing of the store. She got a little bit louder, but not too loud, at least I didn't think.

Anyway, there was another little girl nearby, couldn't have been over 5. She turned to my little girl and said "Why don't you shut up?!" Needless to say, I was kind of taken aback. There was an elderly lady nearby and she looked at me a little bit shocked, too. I kind of muttered under my breath, sarcastically, "Nice kid." The mom of this little brat whipped around and said, "What did you say? 'Nice kid'?" She then went on to tell me how she was more attractive than me, how her kid was cuter than mine, and basically threatened to start a fistfight over the situation. I very calmly told her that I thought her daughter was rude, and it was quite obvious where she got her rudeness from. I suggested that she take her cart elsewhere as she was creating a scene. She muttered something else and managed to stay her distance from me the remainder of the time that I was shopping.

So...bottom line...daughter was rude, and mom was ruder. Kids learn by imitation, and they spend more time at home than anywhere else. Parents, step-parents, grandparents, parent's significant other, etc., etc., whatever the household structure, the little ones will imitate the behavior they see. If adult caregivers are rude, how can you expect the kids to turn out any better?

Leave a comment:

• IrOqUoIs_FeMmE15
    started a topic Rudeness in America

Rudeness in America

Im doing a project for speech class and its about how rudeness is becoming a major problem in todays society. But its a group project so Im focusing on rude children and how technology can lead children to be rude.

So what Im asking is can you give me examples and opinions on this topic. Like times when a child or teen was rude to you and why you think they were and what bigger problems this could lead to it would really help me out thanks guys.... by the way Im totally procrastinating cause this projects due tomorrow so Brittany's pulling an all nighter lol.

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• namamiinc
    Hello From FLorida
    by namamiinc
    I’m a new member in town` and I’m so honored to be a part of PowWow community. Hope will to get to more friends and knowledge....
    12-01-2022, 07:14 AM
  • OLChemist
    Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
    by OLChemist
    *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
    06-21-2021, 01:08 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X