Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movin' on up!

Boozhoo niji,

I am putting this here because I caught myself writing out too many PMs and I figured this is quicker. A lot of people on here are my friends, or I would like you call you friends, and its hard to keep up with everyone.

I have been planning a move to Minnesota for more than a couple of years now. I lost my Mom almost a year ago, and a lot of other things have been bogging me down and holding me down here in Florida. I have finally fulfilled my commitments and promises, and I should be leaving on June 1. The price of gas is up to almost $4 a gallon now, and if I don't go now I will never go.

Me being able to stay up there will depend on me being able to find work and make enough money to stay. The work I can readily find, it just has to pay enough. If it doesn't, I will at least catch the White Earth pow wow one more time, and have a nice long vacation.

One of the effects of this move will be I am cancelling my internet service, probably in a couple of days. I do not know if I will get internet service up north, but I do know I am not breaking contact either. I know more than a couple of "hot spots" where my laptop can hook up and I can check my messages. I will get them, but I will be slower.

If I have to come back down here I am still cancelling internet service, one way or another I am moving out of this house. I have been living with my parents for 36 years. My dad has a live in caretaker now, and her family is driving me crazy. They have messy habits and its raising my stress through the roof. If I come back I will not have telephone except for my cell phone, I have dial up internet access now. High speed is not available in my area at all. I do not know what is goingto happen up north. I would like to get my own house, but I do not know what services will be available yet.

So here I am, with tons of anticipation and loads of stress with no end to the work I have to finish before I leave. I have to put a motor in my old pow wow van and convert it to a moving van. I have to mount anchors in my cargo trailer to tie down my motorcycle and tool box. I have to finish sealing up a new floor inmy camper. Other than all of that, everything else is done!

Miigwech for putting up with me all these year, and I hope to see a bunch of you at tthe next pow wow.

Derek
    I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Which route are you taking to go norht Derek?
    The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
    -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Hey Derek good luck on your new adventures, I wish you well & maybe I'll see you again at the A1A
      If I don't here's your hug You take care of your self
      don't you be wastin' all your money
      on syrup and honey because i'm sweet enough

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Comment

I wish you only the best, my friend. You've wanted this for a very long time. In a way I envy your being able to move to where you want to be, to be surrounded by your people and your traditions. It seems as only good can come from that.

I'll pray that you'll have a smooth process of tying up your loose ends down south and that you will find a good-paying job up north. Maybe someday our paths will cross, and I can shake your hand and thank you for the good conversations we've had in the past.

Safe travels, my friend!

Comment

Travel safely and my your journey be rewarding! Best wishes!
          Don't compromise yourself. It's all you've got.

Janis Joplin

Comment

good luck in the next chapter in the life of Derek .. ayez .. LOL
            Watch your broken dreams...
            Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by spottedeagle View Post
              Which route are you taking to go norht Derek?
              Boozhoo niji,

I stick to the major interstates, go up through Georgia, through Atlanta, then into Tennessee, through Chattanooga, Peoria in Kentucky, then into Illinois. There are a lot of route changes in Illinois and cannot remember the cities or numbers, but I end up in Wisconsin around in Madison, then go through Eau Claire and into Minnesota by way of the Twin Cities. From there, (here the memory gets clearer for some reason) take 10 up to Detroit Lakes and then 59 to the rez. I will probaby skip the rez at first, and go right for my uncles place in Park Rapids. The rez is only a few miles away though, and you can count on me goin in within the first week if time alots it. Remember I am looking for a job right when I get up there. Who knows when I will start work.

AS for everyone else miigwech for all of your kind words. Today had its ups and downs and things are kinda, to quote a phrase, one step forward and two steps back. I had mechanical problems with an engine lift, and have to borrow a dilapidated death trap from someone to get this done. I got into an arguement with the guy too. 4 months ago he offered to help me with this project and I accepted, but later something didn't go his way and he basically told me to **** off. I am used to doing things by myself so I was like... whatever. This guy is living with us, his wife is taking care of my dad, making sure he gets his pills and gets him to the doctor when he needs it. He says he is comfortable with them but personally I have no use for the husband whatsoever. Yesterday he accused me of stealing my dad's drill press. When I offered to let him search my cargo trailer he refused saying he wasn't gonna get into my stuff, and yet he persisted in asking me where the drill was. I kept saying I didnt know. So I walked off to do my own thing and the wife found the thing where the kids had stashed it with a bunch of other stuff they moved. I think she asked him to apoligize but he said he didnt have anything to apoligize for. I spoke out, Like I expected anything anyway.

The closer it gets to the day I leave the more pressure is being put on me by everyone demanding things of me or accusing me of things. I have one thing driving me to do this right now, and it was a promise I made to my mother right before she died. I am not going to break this promise, at least on my own doing. My biggest worry is not whether or not I will make it, I can leave stuff behind and get a uhaul trailer instead of my camper, but whether or not I will get work when I get up there. Honestly this little recession has me a little scared. I have faith, but I still worry.

Again Miigwech for all of your kind words. Its something to look forward to after a long day.

Derek

Comment

If you was headed this way I was going to tell you, you are welcome to stop by here. Think we are a little to far northeast and out of your way by the route you are taking, but the offer still stands.
                The recession has us all a little scared. I got layed off a couple months ago, but like you I have faith. So far we are still keeping our heads abouve water and we have everything we need. Not even the kids seem to mind going without a few extras. I think it has brought us closer together in some ways.

I pray for your safe and speedy journey and much sucess in your new home!!!!
                The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Good luck! Gas is 4.00 in Atlanta already. I'll pm you my phone number so maybe we can meet as you come toward Atlanta.
                  Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

I just wanted to wish you luck on your journey home. I hope all goes well for you. The journey home, finding work, finding a place to sleep. Yanno the routine. chee. :)
                    sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

Have a Safe Trip My Friend....

"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Member if you snag somebody up while enroute, tell em your name is Joe's Dad.

Comment

Good luck Derek! I'm a firm believer that things always work out for the best. Sounds like a great adventure to me.
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

see you at white earth....
                            sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
                            [email protected]

Comment

update

Boozhoo niji,

Again miigwech for your kind words. It cheers me up after a long day. Okay so here is the dirt. There are only four more days before I leave, and I still have a lot of work to do, but I have gotten a whole lot further than when I started this thread.

I have the engine swapped out in my moving van (formerly my pow wow van). I still have to get it tuned in a little better and change the oil, but thats about it for the mechanical things. I need to bleed the brakes, change out a couple of light sockets that are not working, put the front clip back on and install a new radio. (Anyone having travelled any length of distance alone knows a radio is a lifesaver).

On my cargo trailer I need to repack the rear bearings and mount some anchors, then build a ramp.

I am almost done with my camper, just put the last coat of undercoat on, and I have to tighten up a few screws on the inside and pack it.

Finally I need to wash and clean out my car. Hey... its a 2003 Subaru Forester, the newest car I ever owned, and it used to look brand new. Its been the best car I ever owned, and I really do try to take care of it. I just need to SHOW that its taken care of, lol.

Anyway that is the gist of it. I can get all of that done in four days with time to spare too! Watch me. I am a workaholic.

Derek

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.