Anatomically correct??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomically correct??

SALT LAKE CITY -- A Utah state park moved an American Indian-inspired statue of a humpbacked flute player yesterday after objections it was offensive because the male figure is anatomically correct.

Officials at Edge of the Cedars State Park moved the sticklike figure from in front of its museum to a spot behind it so it can't been seen from the street, the park manager said.
    The sculpture is a modern interpretation of a Hopi symbol of a flute player. It has welcomed visitors to the park for 19 years.

Must have been anatomically correct to have included a flat butt too. LOL Which caused the stone breechcloth to keep falling down.
    Last edited by ndnsooner; 10-03-2008, 05:21 PM.
    sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
    [email protected]

Comment

I suppose so, I haven't seen the figure to "say it ain't so, Joe"!

Comment

Another article:

A state park on Thursday moved a statue of a humpbacked flute player over objections the figure was offensive because it is anatomically correct.

Edge of the Cedars State Park moved the sticklike figure from the front to the back of a museum where it can't been seen from the street, said park manager Teri Paul.

The sculpture by Bluff artist Joe Pachak has welcomed visitors to the park for 19 years, yet raised objections only recently from a group of Blanding's more conservative residents who were concerned that the figure has male anatomy, she said.

"There are people in the community who felt the opposite way," Paul told The Associated Press on Thursday. "So, our solution — I believe we have served everyone the best we possibly can. It's not right in the front of the museum on the street where everyone can see it."

Blanding resident Harold Lyman told The Salt Lake Tribune, which first reported the controversy, that he supported moving the statue. Lyman objected to the phallic symbol, saying that because it isn't always depicted on rock art it's not an essential part of the image.

The flute player is a Hopi clan symbol that's often confused with the ancient fertility god Kokopelli. Tribal elders specifically asked the park to make the distinction clear to visitors, Paul said.

At first park officials were going to ban the figure from the park altogether. But another group of citizens complained of censorship.

The statue depicts an image commonly found on rock panels in southern Utah, a man believed to be announcing the arrival of spring with a flute.
        The work is among several pieces of Pachak's sculpture that grace the 17-acre heritage park, which features the excavated ruin of an ancient settlement. The artist didn't return a telephone message left by the AP at his home Thursday.

Comment

Here it is:

Comment

One of those who supported the move, Harold Lyman said he objected to the phallic symbol because it isn't always depicted in traditional rock art images of the flute player. Therefore, he told The Salt Lake Tribune, it's not an essential part of the image.

Susan Dexter was among those who favored leaving the sculpture in place.

"Give me a break. It's not like a massive erection like some of the ones you see on the panels. It's nothing like that," Dexter told the Tribune.

Comment

yeah... I mean...after 19 years?? really?? you're going to start drama now?? WTF??? *L* good grief some people need hobbies.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Those people would be really offended if they went to Rome and saw the artwork there. Michaelangelo's "David" comes to mind in that regards

Comment

Here, well close by in Harrison Hot Springs there is a wooden carved sasquatch and hes anatomically correct...uhm almost too corect they made a big fuss and the owner turned him around or somthing on his property...when we drive by i always hurt my neck tryin to see it

JK u freaks

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
                  When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

Originally posted by *Brown Eyed Gurl* View Post
                    Here, well close by in Harrison Hot Springs there is a wooden carved sasquatch and hes anatomically correct...uhm almost too corect they made a big fuss and the owner turned him around or somthing on his property...when we drive by i always hurt my neck tryin to see it

JK u freaks
                    That's why you are LenatheGreat!

Comment

Originally posted by Canada#1 View Post
                      Those people would be really offended if they went to Rome and saw the artwork there. Michaelangelo's "David" comes to mind in that regards
                      I agree. After 19 years! Talk about a little late! Maybe some people were upset that they weren't built as massive as the sculpture.
                      Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

hey thanks Techno for adding the pic, me and my sister about fell down laughing when we saw the ahem correctness...LMAO She's navajo, so we were talking about the flute player and kokopelli sculptures and then we saw your pic of the statue. People are nuts. But it was great to laugh. I'm sharing that pic with all my friends.

~A.
                        sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

oh yeah, I just set it to wall paper here on muh computer. LOL
                          sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

ROFLMAO--yeah that is funny. And I do agree too, after 19 years, if they hadn't complained by now, why now all of a sudden? That makes no sense.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Annie Fawn View Post
                              Maybe some people were upset that they weren't built as massive as the sculpture.
                              Yes, that is so true and funny as heck

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                              • NahimanaSung
                                Hosting young girl in rez
                                by NahimanaSung
                                Hey!

I'm half Lakota/Dakota native american, currently living in France. I'm 18 years old, and at a point in my life where I really feel the need to explore my ancestry and learn more about my culture.

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or way to ask,...
                                03-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X