Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rock and Roll Musicals....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rock and Roll Musicals....

    Not once or twice but at 4 different times in my life (and at 4 different state of minds, I might add) I have tried to watch "Tommy" and I was baffled and weirded out a little each time. Someone help me with this, if help is to be had - that is. lol

    On the other hand, I have always liked that "Streets of Fire" movie. Is there any other ones like this? Oh and I like Rocky Horror as well.....
    "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

  • #2
    Rock and Roll Musicals


    I am a lover of Rock and Roll musicals also. It started with West Side Story; I still cry at the end... So, what about Eddie and the Cruisers? The second one isn't quite as good but there is some good songs in it. The Blues Brothers and Blues Brothers 2000 are good. Then there are movies with music in it like Lady Sings the Blues, What's Love Got to Do With It, DreamGirls, Moulin Rouge, Grease, etc. I also like Selena, Roadhouse, Dirty Dancing, and The Big Chill for the music in them. When I was in my "country" phase; Urban Cowboy...
    I like all types of music. Have a good day! Walker Clan Mother

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ok24stacey View Post
      Not once or twice but at 4 different times in my life (and at 4 different state of minds, I might add) I have tried to watch "Tommy" and I was baffled and weirded out a little each time. Someone help me with this, if help is to be had - that is. lol

      On the other hand, I have always liked that "Streets of Fire" movie. Is there any other ones like this? Oh and I like Rocky Horror as well.....

      Stace,

      You DO have to be in a unique state of mind to see Tommy - the musical. I actually got to ummm "socialize" with Pete Townsend from The Who in the Dallas Plaza Hotel, after watching Tommy premier. We were peforming at the Dallas Indian Art Market and staying in the same hotel!

      I like live musicals. CATS, Les Miserables and Chess are three that I have seen.
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

      Comment


      • #4
        Oh man.....Urban Cowboy is still one of my favorites. Even worse my 7 year old has gotten hooked, too. Ryanne knows the lines.

        But I like all the rock docs....Temptations, although if Otis Williams erks the chit out of me to this day. I dunno why...just does.

        I'm waiting for the Eagles to put their story on film, maybe they will get in the spirit some day.

        And speaking of Eagles, you still got my dope shirt there WhoMe? LOL Keep it and remember me always!! You'll have to fill me in on your Pete Townsend run-in next time we are sharin a cold one. Next stop...Hunting Moon by the way. Then after that its staying around the city for awhile.
        "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

        Comment


        • #5
          the only musical I care to see is Rent.

          Comment


          • #6
            Tommy is not technically a musical, its considered a rock opera...lol. I was really into concept "albums" back in the day, so I could really get into this. I'll explain more later after I get back from lunch on my next break.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ndnMSW View Post
              Tommy is not technically a musical, its considered a rock opera...lol. I was really into concept "albums" back in the day, so I could really get into this. I'll explain more later after I get back from lunch on my next break.
              Yea that is a better description. I've listened to the album and somehow my vision interpretation of the songs was not even close to what they put on film. lmao.... Yes, if you can shed any light, please help me out.
              "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

              Comment


              • #8

                I just "googled" The Who's Tommy and got a whole explanation of the "opera" from Wikipedia. It was really interesting and showed that it wasn't just some drug induced illusion of some sort; altho it does seem to be that way, given that it was written in the late 60's. I suggest you google it and read for yourself. Have a good day. WalkerClan Mother

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ok24stacey View Post
                  And speaking of Eagles, you still got my dope shirt there WhoMe? LOL Keep it and remember me always!! You'll have to fill me in on your Pete Townsend run-in next time we are sharin a cold one.

                  *L I forgot about that shirt. It was too small for me. I don't remember what I did with it. But yes it was a kewl shirt!

                  I will fill you in on that run-in and a couple of others when I see you again*
                  Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like the music and the live stage version better than the film...I agree, the film is strange and does take a certain mindset to watch.

                    I have a video of the live performance of "Tommy" back in the late 80's, like '89 or "90, somewhere around there. It was done in LA and it was supposed to be the last time the Who was going to perform it live. It was pretty dope...they had Patti LaBelle as the Acid Queen, Billy Idol as Cousin Kevin, Steve Winwood as the Hawker, and Phil Collins as Uncle Ernie....he was hilarious and Patti LaBelle just rocked!!! That was my sewing video...lol. Whenever I wanted to get serious about sewing I would put that in the VCR and get after it.

                    I remember when I was a senior in high school, we used to listen to a AOR station (Album Oriented Rock...lol), and on Easter weekend starting at midnight they played 4 concept albums in a row....Tommy, Jesus Christ Superstar, Quadrophenia, and I think Godspell.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Cool I didn't know they did a stage version but I wasn't exactly going out there trying to find one either. lol

                      Oh hey.....I heard they were doing a movie about Janis Joplin but haven't seen anything to back that up. Anyone else here that? Would be cool to see that.
                      "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well, they did a version on Broadway, where they acted it out and had costumes and all that, but the live version I like was just like a concert...the Who just performed it live and had guest performers come in a sing the different songs on stage.

                        The visual you get in your head when listening to the music is going to be alot closer to the source than the movie. It's kinda disturbing if you really think about it and listen to the lyrics. Whenever Tommy would sing "See Me, Feel Me..." it could just break your heart if you're really into it.

                        I always thought "The Rose" back in the early 80's, starrring Bette Midler, was supposed to be about Janis Joplin. I think a more current version that actually has Janis as its central character would be better....kinda like "The Doors" movie, which I liked immensely, BTW.

                        My favorite musicals/rock operas are Jesus Christ Superstar, Tommy, Sweeney Todd, Phantom of the Opera, Hair, Godspell....I haven't seen Dreamgirls yet but I would like to. I liked listening to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" but I had to be at a certain drunken state before I could sit through the movie when I was younger....lol.

                        Anyone remember that creepy movie they used to show late night on MTV called "Phantom of the Paradise"? That was really disturbing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ndnMSW View Post
                          Well, they did a version on Broadway, where they acted it out and had costumes and all that, but the live version I like was just like a concert...the Who just performed it live and had guest performers come in a sing the different songs on stage.

                          The visual you get in your head when listening to the music is going to be alot closer to the source than the movie. It's kinda disturbing if you really think about it and listen to the lyrics. Whenever Tommy would sing "See Me, Feel Me..." it could just break your heart if you're really into it.

                          I always thought "The Rose" back in the early 80's, starrring Bette Midler, was supposed to be about Janis Joplin. I think a more current version that actually has Janis as its central character would be better....kinda like "The Doors" movie, which I liked immensely, BTW.

                          My favorite musicals/rock operas are Jesus Christ Superstar, Tommy, Sweeney Todd, Phantom of the Opera, Hair, Godspell....I haven't seen Dreamgirls yet but I would like to. I liked listening to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" but I had to be at a certain drunken state before I could sit through the movie when I was younger....lol.

                          Anyone remember that creepy movie they used to show late night on MTV called "Phantom of the Paradise"? That was really disturbing.
                          I love "The Doors!" I am hoping they would do one one Janis Joplin like that, too. She was always a lil troubled so getting in her head would be interesting. Have you read The Eagles book? Don Henley talks about all the stuff that was going on at the Trubador (sp?) at the time. He mentions seeing her and a lot of others there.

                          You know....I watched Dreamgirls twice because I thought I would like it more and wanted to make sure I wasn't being hard on it. lol But I just didn't care that much for it. One movie I love and want Santa to bring me this Christmas is "Standing in the Shadows of Motown." Good, good, good if you haven't seen it.

                          I am a big Floyd fan, too.
                          "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

                          Comment

                          Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                          Loading...

                          Trending

                          Collapse

                          • OLChemist
                            Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                            by OLChemist
                            *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

                            Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                            06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                          • NahimanaSung
                            Hosting young girl in rez
                            by NahimanaSung
                            Hey!

                            I'm half Lakota/Dakota native american, currently living in France. I'm 18 years old, and at a point in my life where I really feel the need to explore my ancestry and learn more about my culture.


                            I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or way to ask,...
                            03-07-2016, 09:56 AM

                          Sidebar Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X