Tony Hillerman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Hillerman...

For those of you who know this author, he passed away last night....he was 83.

Mr. Hillerman wrote fictional and non-fiction books on the Navajo. His main focus was on the NNPD. He wrote many books which were adapted to movies such as "Dark Wind", "Skinwalkers", "Thief of Time", "Coyote Waits".

Tony Hillerman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

There is some controversy about him writing about the Navajo. But I always enjoyed his books because it was evident that he did a lot or research and tried very hard to get the details right.

Thanks to him for that.

Comment

just your typical NAvajos hating on someone......LOL!!!!
      sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

"C's" favorite author.... So not us.

Comment

i haveenjoyed his books and the movies. started to read them after i had gone to Navajo Land in 1996.
          Bahnisiain

Comment

Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post

"C's" favorite author.... So not us.
            same here............got all of his books.....in hardback 1st editions.....
            sigpic

Comment

someone borrowed mine ... one way ... and now i cant remember who that was LOL

them some damn good books ... i should try re-read them ...
              Watch your broken dreams...
              Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Our whole family has all of his books.... He was a great writer regardless if he was white. Like K-mom, he did a ton of research and even some Navajo's who did not grow up with all the traditions admit to reading his books just to get a touch or glimpse of that.

Anyhow, all of NM or at least the capitol lowered all their flags in honor of him. At least he lived a long fulfilling life, he was a good man.

You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
                [email protected]

Comment

I also enjoyed his books and loved that he wrote about the Navajo culture. Even though he's not Native American I think he tried his best to represent their culture well within his stories. He must have been very fascinated by the Navajos and I would take it as a compliment. Especially since he was a bestseller- that says Americans are intrigued by the mysterious Navajo people and wanted to know more. That kind of creative talent is hard to find and he will be missed.
                  We will be known forever by the tracks we leave..Dakota leader.

Comment

If he was anything like my grandpa, he may have kept writing until the very end. There might be an unfinished manuscript out there.....Whatever happened with Detective Chee? Did he find a woman? I loved that movie (based on Hillerman's novel) with Michael Greyeyes.
                    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave..Dakota leader.

Comment

Originally posted by amarie49 View Post
                      If he was anything like my grandpa, he may have kept writing until the very end. There might be an unfinished manuscript out there.....Whatever happened with Detective Chee? Did he find a woman? I loved that movie (based on Hillerman's novel) with Michael Greyeyes.
                      Actually the local news interviewed a close family friend, who said he wrote everyday until his last. So you're probably right...

Comment

Dang, he was one of my favorite authors. I have most of his books. He was a fantastic writter. I'm sorry he passed.
                        Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

I love his work. I was very sad to hear he passed. He wrote with a lot of respect for the Dine culture and I believe he opened a lot of eyes to the reality of it - not the way things are pictured in typical Hollywood fashion. R.I.P.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X