What Should I Wear to a Powwow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Should I Wear to a Powwow?

I'm going to a Powwow this Saturday, and I would like to know what you think is alright to wear.
    I know that I'm not supposed to wear anything provocative like heels, a mini-skirt, a tank-top, or heavy make-up, or a T-shirt with somthing offensive/vulgar on it; but I'd like to know what is appropriate to wear to a Powow.
    Are flat casual sandals ok?
    What about earrings?
    Does it matter if I wear my hair up or down?
    Are casual jeans, a T-shirt, & sneakers ok; or should I go with a more dressy/casual look?
    Is it ok to show my legs as long as the skirt is below my knees?
    I'd really like to hear opinions from a number of people about this.
    Thanks very much.
    I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

I just wear a top & jeans with flats or tennis shoes, on occasion I wear a long skirt. jewelry is fine & you can wear your hair up or down what ever is comfy or you , it's all casual
    don't you be wastin' all your money
    on syrup and honey because i'm sweet enough

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
      I just wear a top & jeans with flats or tennis shoes, on occasion I wear a long skirt. jewelry is fine & you can wear your hair up or down what ever is comfy or you , it's all casual

Thanks, Ginger.
      What about dangle earrings?
      One person here told me that they are not allowed.
      Would that include chainsaw dangle earings?

Comment

Bodica, wear what ever you would wear normally in public. There are usually alot of people there and children.

Dangling earings, I never heard that they are not allowed. I wear mine all the time.LOL I wear dangling beaded earings and so do many of the dancers and vendor's and spectators.

How you wear your hair is totally up to you and how you feel like wearing it.

I've worn jean shorts, sandals and a t-shirt before. That's not a big deal really.

Comment

Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
          Bodica, wear what ever you would wear normally in public. There are usually alot of people there and children.

Dangling earings, I never heard that they are not allowed. I wear mine all the time.LOL I wear dangling beaded earings and so do many of the dancers and vendor's and spectators.

How you wear your hair is totally up to you and how you feel like wearing it.

I've worn jean shorts, sandals and a t-shirt before. That's not a big deal really.
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodica View Post
            Thanks, Ginger.
            What about dangle earrings?
            One person here told me that they are not allowed.
            Would that include chainsaw dangle earings?
            I've worn dangling earrings to a powwow.

Dress in whatever you feel is comfortable. I think women in jeans and a white button-up shirts look hot. lol

And if you plan on staying into the night, be sure to take a coat.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Just the fact that you are concerned enough to ask what is appropriate shows a lot of respect on your part. That kind of respect and attitude will go a long way as a spectator. Be comfortable and have fun!

Comment

Thank you very much guys.
                I like to know as much as possible about the rules and guidelines before going to an event like this, so I can follow proper protocol.
                This powwow, unfortunatly, is only going to be a day long.
                So I'll only have one chance to make a good impression.
                I don't want my hosts to think that I'm disrespectful or ignorant.

Comment

I'd be careful of the sandals. Not out of concern of offending but out of respect for your feet. Some outdoor powwows can have pretty rough parking areas. I've been to one or two that by the time I'd waded through the calf high grass in the parking, I was covered with chiggers and ticks.

Please skip the Pachoili (sp), LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodica View Post
                    I'm going to a Powwow this Saturday, and I would like to know what you think is alright to wear.
                    I know that I'm not supposed to wear anything provocative like heels, a mini-skirt, a tank-top, or heavy make-up, or a T-shirt with somthing offensive/vulgar on it; but I'd like to know what is appropriate to wear to a Powow.
                    Are flat casual sandals ok?
                    What about earrings?
                    Does it matter if I wear my hair up or down?
                    Are casual jeans, a T-shirt, & sneakers ok; or should I go with a more dressy/casual look?
                    Is it ok to show my legs as long as the skirt is below my knees?
                    I'd really like to hear opinions from a number of people about this.
                    Thanks very much.
                    As little as possible?? LOL

Comment

good job. during the intertribals you gotta do a few rounds in the arena. if you got some moves nows the time to bust them out. jk. iff you can.. put a shawl on even its just to walk around the arena during the intertribals.

o yeah that deer in the headlights look in the arena dont look all the great. blend in
                      thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Originally posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno View Post
                        As little as possible?? LOL

Yep; Techno's a guy alright.
                        Last edited by Bodica; 02-27-2009, 06:43 PM. Reason: Do I really need one?

Comment

Depends on where the pow wow is at. If you are in California, stay away from red and blue. I joke. I can picture youngsters up at the pow wow c-walking ha ha ha....

Comment

Hey Bo!

The only thing I would recommend wearing, other than normal everyday comfortable clothing, is comfortable shoes! Comfortable shoes are imperative.
                            Last edited by neling4; 02-27-2009, 11:41 PM.

Comment

during grand entry slam four redbulls and hang onto yer seat until the first intertribey and let all hell break loose
                              thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                              • NahimanaSung
                                Hosting young girl in rez
                                by NahimanaSung
                                Hey!

I'm half Lakota/Dakota native american, currently living in France. I'm 18 years old, and at a point in my life where I really feel the need to explore my ancestry and learn more about my culture.

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or way to ask,...
                                03-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X