Mentioning Adoptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mentioning Adoptions

There are several kinds of adoptions. Some adoptions are formal, go through the courts or an agency and legal papers are signed. Others are ceremonial and involve family and/or public acknowledgment. Still others are simply a lifelong informal acknowledgement of calling someone your brother, sister, mother, aunt, grandparent, etc.

Powwow people make many relationships or "adoptions," have multiple "family relationships" and are treated like family members on the powwow trail.

Recently, two separate people contacted me to ask my opinion about crediting an "adoption," one for an application and the other in print for a brochure. The first case was a non Indian claiming to be "adopted Kiowa." The second person was Dine' claiming to be "adopted Lakota."

I do not feel comfortable about answering these questions. I simply said, "I don't know, but would ask."

Is mentioning adoptions when introducing yourself or crediting your adoptions on paper okay? What about some of us who have made 10 - 100 adoptions on the powwow trail? Would that be kind of arrogant to mention these relationships?

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by WhoMe; 02-28-2009, 05:43 AM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Hmmm
    I have to wonder what the motivation is to mention this in such a manner.
    I too could mention all the families that call me brother, son, son in law ect ect, they are of multiple tribes. But I dont, that is not really anybody else business.
    President Obama is Adopted Crow but I dont hear of him running around telling all that will listen that he is now Crow.

So for somebody to mention this to gain something in return does not show much humility.
    I also wonder why they dont go ask the family that adopted them in the first place and see what they think about this...
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

dumb indians........whatever happened to "we are all related"???......sounds like someone trying to prove something......dumb indians......
      sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Got to agree with Josiah.

Whome; why are people asking you to make up papers ligitimizing these "adoptions" and I wouldn't call them that anyway. Being adopted into a tribe isn't something one person decides. I have lots of Woman I call Aunty, this doesn't mean I've been adopted by the Mohawk, Ojibway, Mi'kmaw and Cree. It just means I have lots of great Woman to turn to for support, to learn from, laugh with, crash at their house when travelling etc. The idea of tribal adoptions or making relations has been misinterpreted by people trying to be who they are not way to much, both by the "adoptee" wanting to pretend NDN and the "adopter" playing big NDN. My advice is to walk away and leave the fools to themselves....A brochure???

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
          Whome; why are people asking you to make up papers ligitimizing these "adoptions"

Suzze,

Nobody's asking me to make up papers. Everyday, in my line of work, I get asked Native questions. Lot's of times I say, "I don't know but, I can find out." Then I find a tribal website or phone number contact and forward it so that the person asking the question can get an answer from the source.

Or,

I call or email someone in Indian country who I feel confident can help. I then reply with their words back to the person with the question. I
          also rely on "adopted" relatives for direction on who to ask in their tribes and communities for information.
          Last edited by WhoMe; 03-01-2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
            Suzze,

Nobody's asking me to make up papers. Everyday, in my line of work, I get asked Native questions. Lot's of times I say, "I don't know but, I can find out." Then I find a tribal website or phone number contact and forward it so that the person asking the question can get an answer from the source.
            Do you get lots of crazy questions?

Still curious about the brochure.
            Last edited by SuzzeQ4; 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
              Do you get lots of crazy questions?

Still curious about the brochure.

Suzze,

I could write a book about the questions I get. But I also help educators, scholars, researchers, doctorial candidates, book writers, Natives, high school students, grade school kids, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. It all depends on the day.

The brochure you are curious about would accompany the event that the individual is facilitating. If worded as the individual requested, it would read:

Name of presenter (Dine' and adopted Lakota), ...
              Last edited by WhoMe; 03-02-2009, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Suzze,

I could write a book about the questions I get. But I also help educators, scholars, researchers, doctorial candidates, book writers, Natives, high school students, grade school kids, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. It all depends on the day.

The brochure you are curious about would accompany the event that the individual is facilitating. If worded as the individual requested, it would read:

Name of presenter (Dine' and adopted Lakota), ...
                Why would somebody want to do that??
                That is what I am struggling with
                Last edited by Josiah; 03-01-2009, 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
                ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                  That is what I am stuggling with
                  I have 2 guesses and neither are good....but we are probably all tinking the same thing here.

Whome; thanks for explaining, I am a curious person.

Comment

interesting whome.

maybe being dine isnt good enough? maybe the subject requires the presenter have some credible blood.. haha umm?? some relation to whats being presented. maybe this is where the speaker has more brains than wits.

its interesting because being dine is pretty cut and dry. we didnt powwow, sundance anything main stream.. lol whatever that means, but for some reason navajos just have to adopt things and have their input, maybe like gourd dancing, native american church.

being ojib and dine is already tough theres sooo much i learned and have to learn. if somebody did the adopt thing to me id nod my head and acknowledge it but to add to me as part of how i show present myself.. hells no.

can u let us know how it went? what did the adopted person do. and can the person respond here?

inquiring minds wanna know
                    thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

That is what I am struggling with

Josi,

I have have no idea why this person wants "adopted Lakota" to be credited in print. I majored in Journalism. Journalism involves writing for the media. In writing for the media, it is not common practice to credit an individual with adopted relationships.

Culturally speaking, Native cultures follow oral traditions. Announcing one's adopted relationships is also not common practice. Even in powwow programs or emcee introductions, I do not think I have ever seen or heard someone credit their adopted relationships.

In my opinion, adoptions are a personal issue. Just because a person is adopted by a family or individual doesn't necessarily mean a whole tribe, band, or community will automatically acknowledge this relationship.

I will keep everyone posted.

Comment

Josi,

I have have no idea why this person wants "adopted Lakota" to be credited in print. I majored in Journalism. Journalism involves writing for the media. In writing for the media, it is not common practice to credit an individual with adopted relationships.

Culturally speaking, Native cultures follow oral traditions. Announcing one's adopted relationships is also not common practice. Even in powwow programs or emcee introductions, I do not think I have ever seen or heard someone credit their adopted relationships.

In my opinion, adoptions are a personal issue. Just because a person is adopted by a family or individual doesn't necessarily mean a whole tribe, band, or community will automatically acknowledge this relationship.

I will keep everyone posted.
                        This has always been my understanding Whome, I have seen it many times and never ever saw that same person afterward print it on their business cards or flyers announcing to all that they are now adopted ______.

Perhaps they are keeping with the British, they like to have all those initials after their name and when they go into a room somebody announces them
                        Might start a trend
                        Josiah CNO,KTS,ACNA,CGS,AD and a sundry others

LOL
                        ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                        Till I Die!

Comment

Perhaps they are keeping with the British, they like to have all those initials after their name and when they go into a room somebody announces them
                          Might start a trend
                          Josiah CNO,KTS,ACNA,CGS,AD and a sundry others

LOL

Josi,

It's sad but over the years, lots of people come on here and flaunt their adopted tribes as part of their introduction.

Comment

that persons shady as heck!
                            thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Josi,

It's sad but over the years, lots of people come on here and flaunt their adopted tribes as part of their introduction.
                              It is sad that is for sure
                              They will always be looking for that edge that gives them the riches and fame they are looking for and will never ever find it for its just on the other side of the hill...
                              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                              Till I Die!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.