Elk Leather Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk Leather Boots

Ladies (and guys), I need your help. I have a pair of light tan elk leather cowboy boots. Their great. Except I'm afraid to wear them because I can't find out how to care for them. I've been to three western stores, including the one I bought them from, and each one has said the same thing. I asked what I should use to clean them and what I should use to treat them so they don't crack. All three told me there was nothing I could do. I don't know, but I find that very hard to believe. They are not workboots, they're dress boots, so it is not like they would get a lot of rough wear.

Any suggestions on how to clean them and treat them so they won't crack would be appreciated. I'll try to attach a pic of the boots to this post. If that doesn't work, I've uploaded it into my profile.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    sigpic

well I'd go to said western store and by a small jar of that colored polish, the creamy kind. Can't think of the name of it but almost every western store in Texas sells it (being a south east texas gal I have seen a lot of it in them), I think the name is like scout or something like that they make it in different colors and they make one for delicate leathers too.... I think the other name of one is meltonian boot cream or something like that... If there is a Sheplers close to you go there, they'll know what I am talking about. I used to get mine in Mesquite at the store there....

then just take care of them like any other fine grade leather.... I got a pair of elk ropers that are like 15 years old... ok I got ropers in just about every color and leather known to man, except yellow and pink... I am from Texas you know, and I got a wide selection of rockies too.... from back in the day
    Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

some boots aint made for walking. haha
      just like some high heels aint made for
      walking.. wanna walk in boots get some
      hooker boots! lol

ahem! yer boots were made for making
      babies.. ahahha too funney.. and u were
      all asking questions in the store.. ROFL
      thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

For cleaning I would use some saddle soap. You can find it at the western store. and for preservation just hit them up with alittle polish.
        Oh.. and dont dance with a clumsy partner...

Comment

ya worry too much....send em to me....dat ways ya dont hafta worry no mores! *laughing*
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
          "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
          "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
          "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
          "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

Originally posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post
            well I'd go to said western store and by a small jar of that colored polish, the creamy kind. Can't think of the name of it but almost every western store in Texas sells it (being a south east texas gal I have seen a lot of it in them), I think the name is like scout or something like that they make it in different colors and they make one for delicate leathers too.... I think the other name of one is meltonian boot cream or something like that... If there is a Sheplers close to you go there, they'll know what I am talking about. I used to get mine in Mesquite at the store there....

then just take care of them like any other fine grade leather.... I got a pair of elk ropers that are like 15 years old... ok I got ropers in just about every color and leather known to man, except yellow and pink... I am from Texas you know, and I got a wide selection of rockies too.... from back in the day
            Thanks Steelemagnolia. That is what I had originally planned to do, but since the leather looked more delicate than regular cowhide I asked and got that ridiculous answer from the western stores (Shepler's, Callahan's and Cavender's).

I know what you mean about ropers. I haven't worn shoes in 20+ years; just boots. I have 17 pairs of ropers and 3 pairs of cowboy boots. Except for the exotic leathers, I use saddle soap and mink oil.

I've had my eye on a pair of alligator Lucchese's for awhile. I just can't bring myself to shell out that much money.

Thanks again.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by injunboy View Post
              some boots aint made for walking. haha
              just like some high heels aint made for
              walking.. wanna walk in boots get some
              hooker boots! lol
              My boots are always made for walkin' (plays Nancy Sinatra in the background).

babies.. ahahha too funney.. ROFL
              Must be why I "get lucky" whenever I wear 'em!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by APACHEFIRE View Post
                ya worry too much....send em to me....dat ways ya dont hafta worry no mores! *laughing*

Don't no one come 'tween me and my boots!

sigpic

Comment

Usually I love saddle soap for everything, but watch out. Your boots are very light colored and just about anything can cause them to darken. Your best bet might be the light colored boot cream.

Or try this stuff - supposed to be superior:Lexol Leather Conditioner and Preservative

They might scuff very easily, also. So treat them as your TOWN boots.
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

i got alot of boots and almost never use saddle soap. once i washed some dirty boots at the car wash and left them in bac of the truck. holay they were dry! the saddle soap stretched them out abit and conditioned them. the number one reason i dont use that stuff.. the stretch and they become flexible. so my nice boots only get a good polish and a damp rag wipe down. mainly because they look ten times better when they firm and polish up real nice too. my work boots get hand washed and after they dry get a hand rub with Huberd's shoe grease. www.huberds.com

okay waay too much info

one more thing. i thought elk skin was fairly thick?
                    thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

The way they tan it for boots it's VERY soft...and probably split.
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

RDNK i thought elk leather boots was yer ndn name lol

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

wanna walk in boots get some
                          hooker boots! lol
                          Dang Injunboy getting all pervy.....

babies..
                          I guess now we know what gets injunboy going..... j/k too funny!

Comment

i know huh! shes got pimp boots and she dont know it

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

RDNK i thought elk leather boots was yer ndn name lol
                              'fraid not. The only "princesses" in my family were Jewish-American Princesses (JAPs).

i know huh! shes got pimp boots and she dont know it
                              I'm ALWAYS pimpin'!

sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.