X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Kung Fu Grasshopper...

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    <!--endclickprintinclude-->

Actor David Carradine found dead in Bangkok (AP)

<CITE class=ap>Source: AP</CITE> 50 minutes ago
    <FORM class=buzz id=form-buzzmovies.ap.org-actor-david-carradine-found-dead-bangkok-ap action=http://buzz.yahoo.com/vote/ method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=y_movies name=publisherurn> <INPUT type=hidden value=http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/actor-david-carradine-found-dead-bangkok-ap name=guid> <INPUT type=hidden value=/article/y_movies?Actor David Carradine found dead in Bangkok (AP) - Yahoo! Movies name=.done> <INPUT type=hidden value=article name=assettype> <INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=votetype> <INPUT type=hidden value=orion name=from> <INPUT type=hidden value=8b55b name=key> <INPUT type=hidden value=/YMFW0xbhpk name=.crumb> <INPUT type=hidden value="Actor David Carradine found dead in Bangkok (AP)" name=headline> <INPUT type=hidden value='BANGKOK - Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok. A news report said he was found hanged in his hotel room and was believed to have committed suicide.

' name=summary> <INPUT type=hidden value=entertainment name=category><BUTTON type=submit>Buzz up!</BUTTON> </FORM>

Related Links:

BANGKOK - Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok. A news report said he was found hanged in his hotel room and was believed to have committed suicide.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy, Michael Turner, confirmed the death of the 72-year-old actor. He said the embassy was informed by Thai authorities that Carradine died either late Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family.

The Web site of the Thai newspaper The Nation cited unidentified police sources as saying Carradine was found Thursday hanged in his luxury hotel room.

It said Carradine was in Bangkok to shoot a movie and had been staying at the hotel since Tuesday.

The newspaper said Carradine could not be contacted after he failed to appear for a meal with the rest of the film crew on Wednesday, and that his body was found by a hotel maid at 10 a.m. Thursday morning. The name of the movie was not immediately available.

It said a preliminary police investigation found that he had hanged himself with a cord used with the room's curtains. It cited police as saying he had been dead at least 12 hours and there was no sign that he had been assaulted.

A police officer at Bangkok's Lumpini precinct station would not confirm the identity of the dead man, but said the luxury Swissotel Nai Lert Park hotel had reported that a male guest killed himself there.

Carradine was a leading member of a venerable Hollywood acting family that included his father, character actor John Carradine, and brother Keith.

In all, he appeared in more than 100 feature films with such directors as Martin Scorsese, Ingmar Bergman and Hal Ashby. One of his prominent early film roles was as singer Woody Guthrie in Ashby's 1976 biopic "Bound for Glory."

But he was best known for his role as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin priest traveling the 1800s American frontier West in the TV series "Kung Fu," which aired in 1972-75.

He reprised the role in a mid-1980s TV movie and played Caine's grandson in the 1990s syndicated series "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues."

He returned to the top in recent years as the title character in Quentin Tarantino's two-part saga "Kill Bill."

The character, the worldly father figure of a pack of crack assassins, was a shadowy presence in 2003's "Kill Bill - Vol. 1." In that film, one of Bill's former assassins (Uma Thurman) begins a vengeful rampage against her old associates.

In "Kill Bill - Vol. 2," released in 2004, Thurman's character comes face to face again with Bill himself. The role brought Carradine a Golden Globe nomination as best supporting actor.

Bill was a complete contrast to his TV character Kwai Chang Caine, the soft-spoken refugee from a Shaolin monastery, serenely spreading wisdom and battling bad guys in the Old West. He left after three seasons, saying the show had started to repeat itself.

After "Kung Fu," Carradine starred in the 1975 cult flick "Death Race 2000." He starred with Liv Ullmann in Bergman's "The Serpent's Egg" in 1977 and with his brothers in the 1980 Western "The Long Riders."

But after the early 1980s, he spent two decades doing mostly low-budget films. Tarantino's films changed that.

"All I've ever needed since I more or less retired from studio films a couple of decades ago ... is just to be in one," Carradine told The Associated Press in 2004.

"There isn't anything that Anthony Hopkins or Clint Eastwood or Sean Connery or any of those old guys are doing that I couldn't do," he said. "All that was ever required was somebody with Quentin's courage to take and put me in the spotlight."

One thing remained a constant after "Kung Fu": Carradine's interest in Oriental herbs, exercise and philosophy. He wrote a personal memoir called "Spirit of Shaolin" and continued to make instructional videos on tai chi and other martial arts.

In the 2004 interview, Carradine talked candidly about his past boozing and narcotics use, but said he had put all that behind him and stuck to coffee and cigarettes.

"I didn't like the way I looked, for one thing. You're kind of out of control emotionally when you drink that much. I was quicker to anger."

"You're probably witnessing the last time I will ever answer those questions," Carradine said. "Because this is a regeneration. It is a renaissance. It is the start of a new career for me.

"It's time to do nothing but look forward."

I had to re-paste a newer story that came out awhile............so here is a little more info.............
    Last edited by 50cal; 06-04-2009, 01:16 PM.
    sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

It is now being reported as a suicide.

R.I.P. Mr. Carradine.
    sigpic

Comment

yea i read that on msn.com this morning ... how sad

and the whole suicide thing ... dang ...
      Watch your broken dreams...
      Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

every rose has it's thorns! lol yes it does

Comment

I was just reading about this, sad news. The pebble has been pulled from the hand, "it is time for you to go".

Comment

At least he got to make that commercial tho

Nah he was a good actor, shame it went out like that

Comment

Too bad...suicide??? You never know....

Comment

enjoyed the Kill Bill movies...and even the Kung Fu series.

R.I.P. Grasshopper
                sigpic
                R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

Kung Fu Grasshopper

yes i must agree he was a very good actor and he will be missed

Comment

RIP Grasshopper! Ho

Comment

now they're saying that it might not have been suicide. It might have been b/c he was doing the whole erotic asphyxiation thing. Apparently he was nude and there was a string tied to another part of himself that wasn't around his neck. How much would that sux?? People are crazy. If it was suicide though....what a waste.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Originally posted by CandaePrincess View Post
                        now they're saying that it might not have been suicide. It might have been b/c he was doing the whole erotic asphyxiation thing. Apparently he was nude and there was a string tied to another part of himself that wasn't around his neck. How much would that sux?? People are crazy. If it was suicide though....what a waste.
                        dayum, so which side did he hang himself from?????....LOL!!!
                        sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

What a terrible shame. I also feel sorry for his family, it is bad enough to lose a loved one, but the "tawdry" circumstances just make it worse.

Sorry to see him go, but...

The first rule of Kink 101 is: don't partake in dangerous activities alone!
                          sigpic

Comment

Amen!

Comment

I don't want to go into detail b/c then it'll end up in the 49 thread. But you can read the updated article on people.com and probably cnn.com. They have their info from the Bangkok Times or whatever it's called there.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• namamiinc
                                Hello From FLorida
                                by namamiinc
                                I’m a new member in town` and I’m so honored to be a part of PowWow community. Hope will to get to more friends and knowledge....
                                12-01-2022, 07:14 AM
                              • OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X