What would you do HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do HELP

Hey dudes, I need some advice. I coach lacrosse with a bunch of 17-18 year old boys. Anyway, I have a moral dilemma. I have watched 5 of my players get into fights during the box season this year. None of them can fight their way out of a paper bag. My problem is that for the most part, they are fighting against other kids that don't really know how to fight. One of the players fought a kid who actually knew how to fight. The result was my player got a broken nose and a fractured cheek bone. I don't want to encourage fighting or give it my unwritten approval, but I also don't want to stand by and watch my players get seriously injured. Our biggest problem is that there aren't any ndn kids on our team. Most Aboriginal players know how to scrap and don't shy away from it. The good thing is they don't really go looking for trouble either. Consequently, no other teams really want to fight when you have 4-5 of the boys on a bench. They may be able to take one or two out of the game but that still leaves three for being the enforcing job. We have one legitimate superheavyweight. Nobody wants to fight him, he plays hockey in the winter and has been in a few scraps. I really don't know what to do. I want them to focus on playing but I also want them to be able to protect themselves. I know that true sportsmen don't fight but these are testostrone fuelled 17-18 year old boys whose emotions pretty much rule their lives. They usually aren't very cebrebral in their approach to life. Advice please.

Originally posted by badmaninc View Post
    Hey dudes, I need some advice. I coach lacrosse with a bunch of 17-18 year old boys. Anyway, I have a moral dilemma. I have watched 5 of my players get into fights during the box season this year. None of them can fight their way out of a paper bag. My problem is that for the most part, they are fighting against other kids that don't really know how to fight. One of the players fought a kid who actually knew how to fight. The result was my player got a broken nose and a fractured cheek bone. I don't want to encourage fighting or give it my unwritten approval, but I also don't want to stand by and watch my players get seriously injured. Our biggest problem is that there aren't any ndn kids on our team. Most Aboriginal players know how to scrap and don't shy away from it. The good thing is they don't really go looking for trouble either. Consequently, no other teams really want to fight when you have 4-5 of the boys on a bench. They may be able to take one or two out of the game but that still leaves three for being the enforcing job. We have one legitimate superheavyweight. Nobody wants to fight him, he plays hockey in the winter and has been in a few scraps. I really don't know what to do. I want them to focus on playing but I also want them to be able to protect themselves. I know that true sportsmen don't fight but these are testostrone fuelled 17-18 year old boys whose emotions pretty much rule their lives. They usually aren't very cebrebral in their approach to life. Advice please.
    well defensive techniques would be good things to show for any sport or for life in general. let's face it ... there are people out there that will go for the jugular and don't care who or where they are. and having a way to protect yourself in those situations will help anyone.

but a good talk about ... not going looking for trouble is the best bet in life ... is in order. most guys aren't all going to go look for fights and those ones who are .... don't usually go far in life (end up in jail or dead).
    Watch your broken dreams...
    Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Yep, know exactly what you are talking about. My nephew who's quit a bit younger then the ones that you are talking about plays on a baseball team and there is a bully on this team that's really aggressive. Many of the parents are not wanting their kids to play with him now 'cause of it and the coach isn't doing anything about it.

When my son young I had always taught him that fighting wasn't always the answer. But now I also told him that if anyone started with him not to back down. Not necessarily to physically fight someone either. My son had to do that one time in his life and it took a long time to get him to that point. A boy kept picking on him 'cause he had long hair and this boy knew my son is Native and so he went after him. One day my son had had enough and it went blow for blow and I was told by the principle that even though my son was in the right for defending himself, they both got punished through the school for going against school policy. And I always taught my kids "For every action there is a reaction. Make sure the reaction you are going to get is worth the action that you are about to make. Or don't do it." As simple as that, really.

I'm not totally clear on what you are saying, but I think that I got it. Basically they are boys and though they don't start it (is what I'm getting) they try to fight back and can't fight at all so they get wipped. Well, there are several ways of dealing with that. One way is to try to talk to them and reason and let them know that starting it isn't the answer, but if someone else starts it--then finish it. Okay, you said that they can't fight their way out of a paper bag, what about teaching them or having them learn some self defense techniques. Now, most of those don't teach you how to hurt someone, just how to keep someone from hurting you. And if they are the ones starting it let them know that all that does is makes them look stupid and brainless, that all starting a fight does is 'cause trouble and shows the other person that you aren't smart enough to settle something with your brain. Many times young men will listen to that reasoning, but then again not always.LOL

Good luck.

Comment

Dude, here's my advice...

Find you an NDN team to coach!!! j/k

You're coaching a physical sport. There's going to be contact, it's gonna get rough and the kids are gonna let there emotions come through.

Do like Phil Jackson does and just sit on the bench with a smile on your face.

How do all those hockey guys get all their front teeth knocked out and still keep on playing?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Badmaninc:

When I was younger, I was on a low level hockey team, in a badly refereed league, so there were a lot of problems with fights, and how to prevent/defend against them. I was not that great a player, or fighter. I got in to several, and usually lost, but showed up at least. Then, in one game, and especially tough guy was roughing up all of our talented players. The coach tapped me and said, go get that guy. Well, truth to tell I was afraid, and didn't want to do it, but sometimes you just have to man up and do what's needed, if you are ever to be together as a team. So when I got in the game, I skated over to him, and gave him a slash across the shins (the padded part) and he immediately threw down the stick and gloves and skated towards me. I figured I'd get killed, but he threw a wild off balance punch, and was standing there wide open for a right. I threw one, and it landed, which put him half way to the ice, but then he got up and got me with a couple good shots, then the ref and linesmen stopped it. So back to the bench I went, feeling bad I lost, but glad I showed up. After that, we became a much closer team, and everybody kind of looked out for each other, and we weren't picked on nearly as much, either. Can't say it was all because of that, but sometimes showing up and being willing will stop some of that kind of stuff. It did hurt for a while, but hey it was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
            Badmaninc:

When I was younger, I was on a low level hockey team, in a badly refereed league, so there were a lot of problems with fights, and how to prevent/defend against them. I was not that great a player, or fighter. I got in to several, and usually lost, but showed up at least. Then, in one game, and especially tough guy was roughing up all of our talented players. The coach tapped me and said, go get that guy. Well, truth to tell I was afraid, and didn't want to do it, but sometimes you just have to man up and do what's needed, if you are ever to be together as a team. So when I got in the game, I skated over to him, and gave him a slash across the shins (the padded part) and he immediately threw down the stick and gloves and skated towards me. I figured I'd get killed, but he threw a wild off balance punch, and was standing there wide open for a right. I threw one, and it landed, which put him half way to the ice, but then he got up and got me with a couple good shots, then the ref and linesmen stopped it. So back to the bench I went, feeling bad I lost, but glad I showed up. After that, we became a much closer team, and everybody kind of looked out for each other, and we weren't picked on nearly as much, either. Can't say it was all because of that, but sometimes showing up and being willing will stop some of that kind of stuff. It did hurt for a while, but hey it was worth it.

Hey Joe G....are you saying the badmaninc should take a couple of punches for the team so they can be closer???

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
              Hey Joe G....are you saying the badmaninc should take a couple of punches for the team so they can be closer???
              NO lol, the coach can't do that...maybe a little boxing training, though it's a hell of a lot harder to fight on skates....but at least that might help. But at times, fighting back is the only answer.

Comment

the way i read it it sounds like these guys dont got each others back ..when we was kids if ya messed with one of us ya messed with all of us an okay yeah if it was fair we would stand back an let it go but if not .... lol anyways i dunno.. if boxing dont help maybe they could take track cause if they cant out fight them maybe they can out run them

Comment

Granted I'm a country girl...... When I was growing up, my parents didn't condone fighting BUT if we fought and lost, we had another butt cutting coming when we got home.

I agree with Chazzif. Show good defense/offense and teach them that a part of being a man is knowing when to fight and when to walk away. (Wow that sounds like Kenny Rogers lol. You got to knoooooow when to hold em. Know when to fooold em. Know when to waaaaaalk away n know whennn to run. You gotta count yoooo munneh... ) sorry. Hahahaha.

LMAO @ taking a few for the team. Woooooooow hahahaha.
                  SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

We did sort of find a solution maybe. One of my players, he is of Indo-Canadian ethnicity. He was called a very racist slur during our last game and went ballistic. He managed to rip the other players facemask off and got 5-6 clean shots to the face. The other player got a cut and closed eye, cut and bloody nose, split lip and generally a pummelled look. I am not sure but I believe the refs heard the slur because they were really slow to move in and break up the fight. My player was merciless on the other player. Can't say I agree with this but nobody should be able to get away with saying racist crap to a 17-18 year old. So the next game, this player will be in our line-up and not too many players are going to want to take liberties with our players. Ever notice it is the minority kids who can fight.

Comment

We did sort of find a solution maybe. One of my players, he is of Indo-Canadian ethnicity. He was called a very racist slur during our last game and went ballistic. He managed to rip the other players facemask off and got 5-6 clean shots to the face. The other player got a cut and closed eye, cut and bloody nose, split lip and generally a pummelled look. I am not sure but I believe the refs heard the slur because they were really slow to move in and break up the fight. My player was merciless on the other player. Can't say I agree with this but nobody should be able to get away with saying racist crap to a 17-18 year old. So the next game, this player will be in our line-up and not too many players are going to want to take liberties with our players. Ever notice it is the minority kids who can fight.
                      It's cuz minorities learn how to fight young sitting at the kitchen table if u don't want to go hungry!!!

Did u take ur team out for pizza afterwards?

Good job!

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                        Badmaninc:

YEEZ!! JoeG's a slugger!

I guess I haven't been around sports where a lot of fights happen during the game. But I do think being prepared for anything is part of sports, so learning defensive moves or even boxing moves would be beneficial.

Have your players practice slapfighting (where you square off like boxing, but you just lightly slap each other on the face)

Get some boxing gloves and have a little sparring, stressing how to block punches

Or at least teach them to fall over, roll into the fetal position, hands behind the neck and elbows protecting the face. This saved my bacon a couple times when getting jumped...uh...while playing...hockey...yeah...hockey.
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                          YEEZ!! JoeG's a slugger!

I guess I haven't been around sports where a lot of fights happen during the game. But I do think being prepared for anything is part of sports, so learning defensive moves or even boxing moves would be beneficial.

Have your players practice slapfighting (where you square off like boxing, but you just lightly slap each other on the face)

Get some boxing gloves and have a little sparring, stressing how to block punches

Or at least teach them to fall over, roll into the fetal position, hands behind the neck and elbows protecting the face. This saved my bacon a couple times when getting jumped...uh...while playing...hockey...yeah...hockey.
                          Dude, you're insane. I could just imagine you skating around the rink. I was thinking that you really are freakin' hilarious. Somehow you don't strike me as the kind of person in the fetal position.

Comment

I could probably skate around the rink, but I needs my TOE PICK!!

I guess I wasn't so much in the fetal position as it was just hands behind my neck and elbows in front of my face, while my opponent(s) were trying to grind my face into the dirt...I mean ice.

Just thought the fetal position might be good for your guys tho...avoiding a possible spleen injury or some such thing. I mean, DUDE, getting a broken cheekbone during a game is pretty serious stuff. Might have to go coach-on-coach.
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.