Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settle an Argument

I have a Venison Steak riding on this.

Are Melungeon Native American, or immigrants who mixed with the Cherokee? Are they considered Native American by standards today?

I ain't tellin which one I'm yellin about.
    It's good to be home!

Vegietarian here so your on your own. O U T T I E:Angel2

Comment

Thanks it's kinda what I thought. My cousin's Grandmother was Melungeon, well one of them anyway, the other one same as mine is Cherokee. Gran says the ones who mixed in are considered one of us, the ones who didn't arn't ... (duh?)

My cousin swears that they are simply because they mixed. Somewhere I think they are arguing the same point and not realizing it. There are still some Full Blooded Melungeon up here.

I'm of the opinion that it an oxymoron.
      It's good to be home!

Comment

My Grandmother and my cousin are having the argument. Gran says just because they are Melungeon does not make them Native American. Some of them did mix with the Natives, and other chose to keep to themselves and stay pure.

Legend has it that they were started out as Portuguese Monks that were ousted out of the Country because of Religous beliefs. Monks are usually men ..... the men had to get with someone to have descendents ... so who were the women? How can you stay pure if there are no pure bloodlines?

My cousin who's other Grandmother was considered "full blood" Melungeon says they are Native American, they certainly are not white! That much I do agree on, they are not white ... not exactly sure what they are, but they are not white!
        It's good to be home!

Comment

Originally posted by straightdancerinaz
          Melungeon
          Yeah thanks! It's pretty much the same as what I've always been taught. Most arn't scraggly looking though kinda like the amish in beard trimming. But the most intense blue eyes you ever want to see!

Gran says it's why you see Blue Eyed Cherokee's. Most of the Harris's down in Cherokee area have blue eyes, the name is supposed to be only a part of what it used to be, but Harris was easier to say or understand.
          It's good to be home!

Comment

I wonder if this is a plausible explanation for the Bat Creek Stone. Doubters say it's a fake or a plant, but Diffusionists insist it is evidence that ancient Hebrews inhabited the area once. I wonder if Jews (who sometimes managed to have kept heirlooms for several generations, even for hundreds of years) who intermarried with Tsalagi might have buried the Stone as a sacred heirloom, only for it to be rediscovered three hundred years later?
            "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
            Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

go to www.melungeon.org :)
              Life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved

Comment

native?

brent kenndey has done some research on this and vandervilt college in nashville tennessee. There are articles in tennessee archives about these persons being native.
                lightening_woman

Comment

Originally posted by Wakalapi
                  I wonder if this is a plausible explanation for the Bat Creek Stone. Doubters say it's a fake or a plant, but Diffusionists insist it is evidence that ancient Hebrews inhabited the area once. I wonder if Jews (who sometimes managed to have kept heirlooms for several generations, even for hundreds of years) who intermarried with Tsalagi might have buried the Stone as a sacred heirloom, only for it to be rediscovered three hundred years later?
                  The Mormans will argue that it proves their point that Jesus walked this land long before the white man did!
                  Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

Originally posted by WolfsBird
                    Gran says it's why you see Blue Eyed Cherokee's. Most of the Harris's down in Cherokee area have blue eyes, the name is supposed to be only a part of what it used to be, but Harris was easier to say or understand.
                    :) I am desended from some of these. But I'm the only one in the family that doesn't have blue eyes! (no they arn't contacts!)
                    Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

Don't know much about this one. Up here in Canada either y'are or y'aint.
                      Dont put up with shaganosh ish too much. *hehe*. One rez close to mine passed a resolution that if one of the members is going to marry white they have to go with their mate. Native people only livin on the rez. So, I dunno.
                      "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

look up

You might want to look at census data for 2000, there is information on the melugeons.
                        lightening_woman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                          Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                          by OLChemist
                          *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                          06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                        • Tsalagi_Phoenix
                          Books!
                          by Tsalagi_Phoenix
                          It seems that all the 'what are you reading now' threads have died and I decided to make my own thread for books.

Post what you're currently reading, ask for recommendations or give recommendations, post what books you got most recently and anything else book related.

I'm...
                          02-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X